Celebrity summit with only child at 13

We are considering taking a 4 day cruise on Celebrity Summit 9/2.  My daughter is an only child and 13.  Is this a bad idea since it may be a time of year there are not a lot of teens, and also, I'm concerned she may not be able to click with anyone and will be painfully bored.  In my experience with an only child on cruises, it's difficult because most kids have siblings they hang out with.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with the celebrity teen club, is it boring, is it clicky, and do teens go the week of labor day?  I'm considering a suite which is over 5K, so I'm nervous about spending all that money if my daughter is miserable.

TIA

2 hours ago, gojigirl said:

We are considering taking a 4 day cruise on Celebrity Summit 9/2.  My daughter is an only child and 13.  Is this a bad idea since it may be a time of year there are not a lot of teens, and also, I'm concerned she may not be able to click with anyone and will be painfully bored.  In my experience with an only child on cruises, it's difficult because most kids have siblings they hang out with.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with the celebrity teen club, is it boring, is it clicky, and do teens go the week of labor day?  I'm considering a suite which is over 5K, so I'm nervous about spending all that money if my daughter is miserable.

TIA

It is a smaller and older ship that attracts seasoned travelers. I have read reviews that say there are usually very few kids onboard. Take a look at some YouTube videos 

2 hours ago, gojigirl said:

TIA

Usually cruises have several to many kids regardless of time of year....Celebrity isn't one of them. Any chance to look at an RCI ship that will have much more for this age group?

40 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Usually cruises have several to many kids regardless of time of year....Celebrity isn't one of them. Any chance to look at an RCI ship that will have much more for this age group?

Thanks Ashland.  It's only one of 2 cruises that fall during the week we all have off right before school starts.  The other cruise is Carnival which we would have done but they are sold out in balconies and suites, and honestly a cruise to me is not worth it without at least a balcony.  Plus I guess selfishly celebrity looks so nice....  It does say they have a teen club, which if my daughter could click with someone would work because she likes tech stuff and video games more than outdoor stuff, but it's just so hard knowing if it's good enough for her age on Celebrity, also if there will be any other kids aboard.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

It is a smaller and older ship that attracts seasoned travelers. I have read reviews that say there are usually very few kids onboard. Take a look at some YouTube videos 

Thank you.  I have tried.  So hard to find any.  It looks like it was refurbished 2019 and seems really nice, at least the suites, but it would probably be boring for her.  Sigh...

• That’s a tough call, I’m guessing the only teens not in school are homeschooled or in the northeast. My oldest was nervous about cruising and meeting others when she was 14 (and her siblings were 12, 9 and 7, she had no desire to hang with them), but she made a lot of new friends in the teen club (NCL, school holiday). My kids only hung out with siblings when they were too young for the teen club, or too old, they liked meeting other kids. I’d ask her opinion, letting her know there might be very few kids her age onboard.

Celebrity has excellent children’s programs, don’t let anyone tell you they don’t.  How many kids will be on the cruise is difficult to say. We traveled on Labor Day weekend with our kids on Celebrity and there were quite a few kids but that was to Bermuda out of New York and as stated earlier Northeast isn’t back to school yet.

I think the OP has accurately framed the situation.   That being said, 13 year olds definitely have their own minds and you might want to leave this up to your DD.  At that age she might be willing to gamble that there will be at least one other similarly aged teen which is often all it takes to make kids happy.

Hank

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think the OP has accurately framed the situation.   That being said, 13 year olds definitely have their own minds and you might want to leave this up to your DD.  At that age she might be willing to gamble that there will be at least one other similarly aged teen which is often all it takes to make kids happy.

Hank

Thanks!

I would not worry about it too much.  Celebrity has a great teen program, my son could not get enough of it on various cruises.  Our last cruise Oct 2019 was during the school year.  Not as many kids in kids club, but still a reasonable amount of teens on board.  They seemed to find each other and would hang out if not at the club. My DW was chatting with a single mom who had a 13yr old with her.  He was a little bored.  My DW talked him into trying teen club, and they both had a wonderful remainder of that cruise.

I’ve taken kids on cruises with lots of other kids and they found no one they got along with. I’ve taken kids on cruises with few other kids and they met just the right person to hang with. It’s a total crapshoot. 

No one can predict how a 13-year old will react to anything. If you need for the kid to make friends for the cruise to be a success, don’t book it. At minimum don’t book a suite if that’s going to put more pressure on you. 

I have no idea if Celebrity will release the information (I have read that Princess will but that may only be if you have already booked) but I would call and ask them if they can give you an idea of how many teens are reserved for the cruise.  Of course that doesn't mean they will all be in the teen club but it would give you an idea of whether your daughter will be one of many or one of few.

New York schools don't start the new school year till September 13. I bet a few of them will be on board your Celebrity Summit cruise and perhaps will provide a friend for your daughter to hang around with. 

Have a great cruise. 

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Cekebrity is mostly for older folks and since kids will be just starting classses I doubt there will be that many kids.  And 13 is a tricky age. Might like the club abd might hate it. And I would never pay $ 5,000 for a four day cruise1!!

Go when more kids will be on boaf and book a balcony at the very most.

My two cents