Jump to content

Italy bans cruise ships over 25kGT and 180 M long in Venice canal


Recommended Posts

I’m on the March Mediterranean Odyssey, starting in Venice. I plan to arrive two days early. Stupidly, I made a non-refundable reservation for 2 nights on my own at a hotel on the Grand Canal. Hopefully, Viking’s new embarkation point won’t be too difficult/expensive to get to from the hotel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

I’m on the March Mediterranean Odyssey, starting in Venice. I plan to arrive two days early. Stupidly, I made a non-refundable reservation for 2 nights on my own at a hotel on the Grand Canal. Hopefully, Viking’s new embarkation point won’t be too difficult/expensive to get to from the hotel. 

Has it been established that Viking has a new embarkation  point?

 

The last info I saw had Viking and other lines checking people in at the Tronchero in Venice, and busing them to Marghera.

 

Venice is a wonderful city, two days there is a blessing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Has it been established that Viking has a new embarkation  point?

 

The last info I saw had Viking and other lines checking people in at the Tronchero in Venice, and busing them to Marghera.

 

Venice is a wonderful city, two days there is a blessing.

I hadn’t heard that. If so, that’s wonderful news, as our hotel isn’t too far from the Tronchetto!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect every cruise line is in a state of flux right now.

 

for the itinerary,  Athens or Istanbul would make good embark points. With good air connections to much of Europe and the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just read this morning that HAL will do checkins at Port of Venice terminal and bus passengers to Marghera at least for September sailings.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard where Viking plans to embark for cruises leaving from Venice?  Trieste and Ravena are the two being used by other cruise lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PRH said:

Anyone heard where Viking plans to embark for cruises leaving from Venice?  Trieste and Ravena are the two being used by other cruise lines.

 

 

I know its a different CL.... But Silversea are still using Venice - just not the usual spot.

 

This is where Silver Shadow is currently as I type - West of Venice to the left of the screen capture with the circle (Not the blue one!). So you may well be lucky and still start from Venice - though like the Shadow, not sailing past St Marks but taking a route out of the lagoon to the south. Hopefully the 2 images make it clearer. Fingers crossed for you.

 image.thumb.png.23b60b37a858bc0bf6f2f40017f7b575.png

 

image.thumb.png.c77a2b8776d10e6cb3c21bba70efbd76.png

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Viking Ocean ships are above the 25,000 ton limit.  Not sure how passenger embarkation will be handled from Marghera as it is a commercial port.  Hoping Viking will let us know soon as hotel and airline reservations are on hold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have not seen berth assignments yet and things seem still up in the air.  Like many, I have loved the sail in, sail out in Venice.  I fully understand the Venetians thinking having lived at a beach town in Florida.  Too many tourists can be a real pain for the locals.  The dockage restrictions as well as Venice's plan to limit and charge day trippers will, I think, make for a better experience once in Venice.  The last time we were in Venice I have to say was not much fun.  Sort of like being on the midway at State Fair on opening day.  So different from years ago when my first visit was magical.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PRH said:

Anyone heard where Viking plans to embark for cruises leaving from Venice?  Trieste and Ravena are the two being used by other cruise lines.

 

Howdy @PRH emo22.gif

 

Your new thread titled Venice and Viking embarkation has been merged into the existing thread titled Italy bans cruise ships over 25kGT and 180 M long in Venice canal. This is where there is ongoing discussion regarding the situation. 

 

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this newly merged thread. That way you will not have to go     l👀king to see if there are any new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

 

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

 

Happy sails,

 

Host Kat emo32.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reassuring news in from Viking about checking in at the Stazione Marittima (cruise terminal)/before being taken to the ship in Marghera or Fusina, and about transport into Venice from the ship to facilitate sightseeing. We’re staying pre-cruise at a hotel close to Piazzale Roma, so will either be able to walk from there to the cruise terminal or catch the people mover. That’s one stress over!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got  the email from Viking about MedOdy cruise on Jupiter in October. We will be docking in Fusina for Venice. All Viking excursions will continue as listed. They say if independent tours are allowed at the time, they will arrange transportation to the center of Venice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Got on board Jupiter yesterday and found out that the durations of excursions in Venice had gone up due to travel time from Fusina. What was 4 hour tour is now 5.75. As a result my first tour now overlaps with the second so had to cancel one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, formernuke said:

Got on board Jupiter yesterday and found out that the durations of excursions in Venice had gone up due to travel time from Fusina. What was 4 hour tour is now 5.75. As a result my first tour now overlaps with the second so had to cancel one. 

And no independent exploration in Italy.   We are staying 2 extra nights in Venice. Does that mean we can’t go out of our hotel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding is that the rule that you must be in a Viking bubble in Italy, as required by Italy, only apply when you are on the ship.

Once you are in your hotel you are free to roam in this wonderful city.

 

I am really hoping for a relaxation of the rules for Italy before our cruise at the New Year which has two days in Livorno before moving onto France and Spain where I can currently wander independently 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

My understanding is that the rule that you must be in a Viking bubble in Italy, as required by Italy, only apply when you are on the ship.

Once you are in your hotel you are free to roam in this wonderful city.

 

I am really hoping for a relaxation of the rules for Italy before our cruise at the New Year which has two days in Livorno before moving onto France and Spain where I can currently wander independently 

We just spent 2 weeks in France only had to show our vaccine card to go into museums.  Never have had to show it in Spain. Thanks for the info on Italy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just docked in Fusina (for Venice) on Jupiter. Looks to be a brand new pier (or at least recently refurbished). Can see Venice skyline.
 

Excursions manager says bus to Venice cruise terminal will take about 30-45 min then standard excursions leave from there. 

 

interesting RV park and marina right next to the pier 

F442AD45-A404-4337-9073-EB58F4629789.jpeg

46B23030-9D1E-4FC6-908A-67E2A1106FFF.jpeg

937C74B5-36EA-4E80-8F09-A44506CD51C3.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 3:13 PM, les37b said:

 

 

I know its a different CL.... But Silversea are still using Venice - just not the usual spot.

 

This is where Silver Shadow is currently as I type - West of Venice to the left of the screen capture with the circle (Not the blue one!). So you may well be lucky and still start from Venice - though like the Shadow, not sailing past St Marks but taking a route out of the lagoon to the south. Hopefully the 2 images make it clearer. Fingers crossed for you.

 image.thumb.png.23b60b37a858bc0bf6f2f40017f7b575.png

 

image.thumb.png.c77a2b8776d10e6cb3c21bba70efbd76.png

 

So Viking is using the same embarkation point in Fusina as Silversea as shown above 7 weeks ago.

 

Good news.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...