Oasis Class and Seasickness

So I'm a weird person when it comes to sea sickness. Rocking and a rolling? (Though I haven't done a cruise from up north in the winter, did Alaska in May and the ocean was fun) I'm having a fine old time stumbling around. It's the boat going side to side but just barely enough where my body is like "we're moving" but looking at a glass of water just has vibrations - I'm hating life. 

I've been on Oasis class twice and only felt it one night. And honestly it wasn't bad except the damn hangers in the closet we're moving enough to keep me up so I couldn't sleep through it. That was deck 12.

Also - the lower level ocean views f me up. I think the thicker material they use that's water tight alters the view just enough to warp stuff. I have no problem looking out balcony doors. 

Oh and the aft balcony didn't bother me, but with the different orientation of the bed I could see how it could make some seasick.

My parents say those sea sick bands and ginger help a lot. 

Edited by smplybcause

On our first cruise (14 day med), my wife found out that she gets pretty bad motion sickness. A friend on our cruise gave here a Transderm V patch and has never had a problem since.

They use a drug called Scopolamine and it works wonders IMO.  A friend of mine is allergic to adhesive so she just had her pharmacy make up Scopolamine one a day pills.  She swears by these for every cruise.

6 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Probably stay home..

That was not a option, they want cabin choice suggestions as they are going to give it a go .two thumbs up for them 👍👍. Anyway what is with the large font? 

10 hours ago, csnarpy said:

On our first cruise (14 day med), my wife found out that she gets pretty bad motion sickness. A friend on our cruise gave here a Transderm V patch and has never had a problem since.

They use a drug called Scopolamine and it works wonders IMO.  A friend of mine is allergic to adhesive so she just had her pharmacy make up Scopolamine one a day pills.  She swears by these for every cruise.

Thanks for the tip about scopolamine in pill form.  I didn't know that was available.  Have used the patches several times but they kept falling off in the shower/pool/ocean.  One patch is good for 3 days as I remember but that will obviously not work if they keep falling off.  Don't know if others have had this issue with the patches.

• Like 1

Definitely lower deck.  We had a crown loft suite on 17.  One night it was a little rough.  Unfortunately on 17 it swayed quite a lot.  Our sliding closet door would slide open and the automatic light come on.  A minute later it would slam closed as the ship tilted back.  We finally wedged a chair against it so it would stay closed.  Talked to friends that had a cabin on 6 and they hadn’t even noticed any movement.  

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thanks for the tip about scopolamine in pill form.  I didn't know that was available.  Have used the patches several times but they kept falling off in the shower/pool/ocean.  One patch is good for 3 days as I remember but that will obviously not work if they keep falling off.  Don't know if others have had this issue with the patches.

I'm a nurse and many of my patients use the patches for medical conditions.  We usually put a bandage or some surgical/paper tape over the top to give it extra staying power.  I don't understand who had the grand idea to have something that's supposed to last three days be made with mediocre adhesive! 

If you can find Tegaderm dressings, those are great -- they are basically like Saran Wrap (cellophane film) with adhesive -- very thin and unobtrusive, but also water repellent.

17 hours ago, Hogbay said:

That was not a option, they want cabin choice suggestions as they are going to give it a go .two thumbs up for them 👍👍. Anyway what is with the large font? 

What is with the small font??

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm a nurse and many of my patients use the patches for medical conditions.  We usually put a bandage or some surgical/paper tape over the top to give it extra staying power.  I don't understand who had the grand idea to have something that's supposed to last three days be made with mediocre adhesive! 

If you can find Tegaderm dressings, those are great -- they are basically like Saran Wrap (cellophane film) with adhesive -- very thin and unobtrusive, but also water repellent.

Thanks!  I actually still have some of those waterproof dressings since I used to use them to cover a chemo port (blessedly now a distant memory!).  I should have thought of that because, yes, they worked great for waterproofing and are not unsightly.  Anyone can buy them in the drugstore, no special prescription needed.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:10 AM, zekekelso said:

There are various drugs put there that can make the question moot. I swear my Meclizine. 

My wife used to take sea sickness meds until she discovered good old fashioned ginger pills did the trick as well. Ginger ale also helps her alleviate symptoms.

That said, on 25 nights aboard oasis class ships, she's never felt any symptoms, so I feel comfortable recommending them to people worried about sea sickness.

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thanks!  I actually still have some of those waterproof dressings since I used to use them to cover a chemo port (blessedly now a distant memory!).  I should have thought of that because, yes, they worked great for waterproofing and are not unsightly.  Anyone can buy them in the drugstore, no special prescription needed.

And if you trim them to size before you peel the backing off, you can get a couple different dressings out of a single bandage for more cost-effectiveness (and less to have to pack! LOL).  Depending on the size Tegaderm you have, you could probably get 4-6 covering pieces (just need to leave enough of a border around the patch so that you get a good watertight seal).  If you do cut it, make sure to round off the corners a bit -- that helps keep them from coming loose.

Tegaderm is especially good to use on the skin of elderly people -- the adhesive holds well, but it also releases easily without tearing the delicate skin underneath.  They're kinda like those Command strips for putting hooks on the wall -- the adhesive releases easily if you stretch the dressing.  

Edited by brillohead
typo