On board WiFi

49 minutes ago, Cowboys4ever said:

My wife and I are on the Breeze tomorrow, YAY!   We like to stream music and workout videos in the morning for our workouts.  Does the ship wifi allow that?  

One of the live threads showed a very good wifi speed while still in port. Wifi has so far been good on vista and horizon. As more ships and pax join it, speeds may drop but seems good right now. 

Granted, I haven't been on a cruise since last February, but I've always gotten "premium" wifi and it was never fast enough for any kind of streaming.  Maybe it's gotten better, but I kind of doubt it.

Hit or miss on speed. Sometimes its great, other times it sucks, even on the ships that claim to have the best and fastest connections at sea.
Uploading a picture can either take a few seconds or a few minutes.

I use it for email and facebook mostly, have tried to do wifi calling but never much success with that and end up using the ship cell relay for calls.

Most important is turn off cell data before you leave port in-case that kicks in on you if the wifi signal is not very good and you get massive cell bill.

24 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The Vista class ships have better Wifi than the older ones. I wouldn't expect to be able to stream on Breeze. If you were on Vista, Horizon or Panorama you'd be good.

according to carnivals website. Streaming is not allowed on any plan with exception of Netflix on the above mentioned ships. That is also on the premium plan only.  

image.thumb.png.ff26ff9e02c818659365377f0f8e1de2.png

5 minutes ago, jfaaborg said:

according to carnivals website. Streaming is not allowed on any plan with exception of Netflix on the above mentioned ships. That is also on the premium plan only.  

They can say that but I've streamed audio and video on Vista and Panorama with YouTube, YoutubeTV, Amazon music, Audacity (formerly radio.com), and Tunein Radio with premium wifi.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Greg said:

They can say that but I've streamed audio and video on Vista and Panorama with YouTube, YoutubeTV, Amazon music, Audacity (formerly radio.com), and Tunein Radio with premium wifi.

Truth, I’ve watched people live stream on YouTube from carnival WiFi. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Cruise Related said:

Truth, I’ve watched people live stream on YouTube from carnival WiFi. 

And my YouTubeTV package works. I have lost locals out there before....but all of the other channels worked. It's documented in my live reviews of those ships.

Edited by Saint Greg

yes, just because they say you can't does not mean you actually can't. I know they are using Cisco wireless controllers with Application visibility control. AVC often does not tag the traffic correctly, and let's apps thru

5 hours ago, jfaaborg said:

yes, just because they say you can't does not mean you actually can't. I know they are using Cisco wireless controllers with Application visibility control. AVC often does not tag the traffic correctly, and let's apps thru

Now that's interesting. I haven't touched routing in ages, but doesn't AVC just look at L7 signatures to filter out? That seems relatively easy to get around with a little planning.

I might have to find some excuses to try this out. 

22 hours ago, Cowboys4ever said:

My wife and I are on the Breeze tomorrow, YAY!   We like to stream music and workout videos in the morning for our workouts.  Does the ship wifi allow that?  

I don’t know about the Breeze but on the Vista I have had no problems streaming from Netflix, YouTube, or HBO Max on premium and my husband has had no problem with YouTube on the value plan. A video May briefly buffer but then it gets going!