Jump to content

What custom dishes have you ordered in Luminae?


Recommended Posts

Yes I agree pre covid.   I think people (myself included) assumed that with current startup sailings at reduced capacity for distancing purposes that the retreat would be at reduced capacity as well.   WRONG.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

my guess that first up for making off menu choices are

  • people who are allergic to certain things - gluten, garlic, low salt etc.   They will always be accommodated 
  • Next are special occasion folks - anniversary, Big 60 etc. They are glad to help you celebrate
  • last would be " I don't like the menu, its weird, or I only eat red meat". Low on their list of accommodating   That is why the Chicken, Beef or Fish everyday menu is there.  

There are some really bad eaters out there (formerly know as "picky") who dont really like food.  Makes me wonder what they are doing in Luminae or Blu since that menu is more "refined' and available for review prior to booking   Want to enjoy the Retreat and the suite - Great, but the food is a package deal.  The newer ships the MDR menu doesnt appear to be an option save the Everyday options - (which should be good enough).  It isn't a custom kitchen just like any other restaurant in the world 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a severe mint allergy (love the taste but I prefer breathing).  From the old menus I have seen online I have seen a lot of mint used in their dishes.  A sprig for garnish I can pick off without issue but often it’s an integral part of a soup or sauce.  If I explain my allergy would it be possible on a meat with added sauce to get them to substitute a different sauce they are also serving that night?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tfred said:

my guess that first up for making off menu choices are

  • people who are allergic to certain things - gluten, garlic, low salt etc.   They will always be accommodated 
  • Next are special occasion folks - anniversary, Big 60 etc. They are glad to help you celebrate
  • last would be " I don't like the menu, its weird, or I only eat red meat". Low on their list of accommodating   That is why the Chicken, Beef or Fish everyday menu is there.  

There are some really bad eaters out there (formerly know as "picky") who dont really like food.  Makes me wonder what they are doing in Luminae or Blu since that menu is more "refined' and available for review prior to booking   Want to enjoy the Retreat and the suite - Great, but the food is a package deal.  The newer ships the MDR menu doesnt appear to be an option save the Everyday options - (which should be good enough).  It isn't a custom kitchen just like any other restaurant in the world 

 

Wow! You wonder why "in your words" Bad eaters...."formerly picky"... "who don't really like food" are dining in Luminae or Blu. They're dining in a restaurant that is included with their choice of accommodation.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gbphipps said:

I have a severe mint allergy (love the taste but I prefer breathing).  From the old menus I have seen online I have seen a lot of mint used in their dishes.  A sprig for garnish I can pick off without issue but often it’s an integral part of a soup or sauce.  If I explain my allergy would it be possible on a meat with added sauce to get them to substitute a different sauce they are also serving that night?

 

My experience has been that you can always ask for a sauce to be left off a dish. If there's a sauce I always ask for it to be "on the side" as I want to choose how much....if any....of it to eat. As for a substitute sauce you can always ask and might want to make that request at the beginning of the cruise. Many times they will show you the next day's menu the previous day so they can accommodate any dietary requests. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gbphipps said:

I have a severe mint allergy (love the taste but I prefer breathing).  From the old menus I have seen online I have seen a lot of mint used in their dishes.  A sprig for garnish I can pick off without issue but often it’s an integral part of a soup or sauce.  If I explain my allergy would it be possible on a meat with added sauce to get them to substitute a different sauce they are also serving that night?

 

I can't imagine they wouldn't. We've eaten at Michelin restaurants and one of the first questions after being seated is usually "are there any food allergies or issues we should be aware of". We don't, so I don't know what level of kitchen staff would have been called to meet with us.

 

If you have an actual intolerance or allergy, I'd meet with the maître d' before the first service, or even contact the special needs folks before the cruise. If it's something they're familiar with, they will have options, but I would expect a chef to meet with you to be sure. Don't just do sauces on the side; the mint (in your case) could be incorporated elsewhere in the dish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to say this has been an interesting thread. I just don't normally think about requesting off the menu items (although I can imagine walking into Luminae stuffed and tired and saying I wish I could just have a salad with some meat). And I haven't done 21 days in a suite on a 14 day menu, so I get that. Now I will confess to walking into my favorite Manhattan restaurant and mentioning a dish or appetizer that used to be on the menu, and on occasion, been offered it. Being a repeat offender does some times have its perks!

 

I really enjoy letting a chef present his wares. If I'm having lamb, for instance, and am asked how I want it cooked, I usually ask what the chef recommends, and go with that. Until I find I can't trust the chef, and then (not on a cruise ship, obviously), I find somewhere else to eat. 

 

I've enjoyed reading what folks have asked for and had prepared. Next time, maybe!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agree Chris.  Why would anybody be offended?  Unless this morphs into a tipping thread.  Then anything can happen!😊

 

Not turning this into a tipping thread because I'll say it like this, IF YOU CHOSE TO TIP...Who would you tip?  Most cruise chefs cook in batches and even with advanced notice, they still have to prepare your meal.  The waitstaff most likely isn't doing any extra work, the chef is so I guess tip the waitstaff and ask he shares it with the chef.  Would probably offend the waitstaff if you leave cash and tell them to give it all to the chef (lol).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

Bad assumption.  Suites are being booked 100% even when the entire ship is at 60%.   I was on the 7/3 Edge sailing which was at 58%.  100% of the suites were booked and some more than double occupancy.  Luminae was very crowded.   They said this week was sold out as well.   I heard a report on the Summit where there were only 400 passengers onboard but suites were sold out.

 

Looked at Edge  and Equinox sailings for July and August and there is very little suite inventory available.

Suites are pretty much always at 100% and the staff handles it very well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2021 at 8:36 PM, TommyD3 said:

I was told I could not get a filet mignon even if ordered way in advance. One night we went to Blu because they had filet mignon. The waiter asked the next night and we explained but instead of saying "I can get that for you in the future", he did not care !!!! I also asked the manager and she said that I could not get filet mignon unless it was on the Luminae menu that meal !!!

The interesting thing is when invited to dine in Luminae by a senior officer I have no problem getting filet mignon !!!

I am not sure that it should have made a difference, but we’re you actually sailing in a suite on that particular cruise?

Your experience is so much different than any of our experiences.

Edited by jagoffee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Funny story about ordering the 4 oz filet off the children’s menu in Luminae on the Edge.  Our last cruise on this ship was in late January 2020.  I’m not a big eater but I do love good food.  I ordered the small filet and it took forever to come out.  When it arrived it had to be closer to 10 oz so I asked where was my small steak, response was we got this from Fine Cuts for you.  The gesture was very nice but way overboard and a total waste.  Sadly we never went back to Luminae and ended up eating at Speciality Restaurants for the rest of the week.

Edited by Oville
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, markeb said:

 

I can't imagine they wouldn't. We've eaten at Michelin restaurants and one of the first questions after being seated is usually "are there any food allergies or issues we should be aware of". We don't, so I don't know what level of kitchen staff would have been called to meet with us.

 

If you have an actual intolerance or allergy, I'd meet with the maître d' before the first service, or even contact the special needs folks before the cruise. If it's something they're familiar with, they will have options, but I would expect a chef to meet with you to be sure. Don't just do sauces on the side; the mint (in your case) could be incorporated elsewhere in the dish.

Thats a good point.  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, gbphipps said:

I have a severe mint allergy (love the taste but I prefer breathing).  From the old menus I have seen online I have seen a lot of mint used in their dishes.  A sprig for garnish I can pick off without issue but often it’s an integral part of a soup or sauce.  If I explain my allergy would it be possible on a meat with added sauce to get them to substitute a different sauce they are also serving that night?

 

Let someone know as soon as you are able (via email or phone call prior to boarding, if you can).  I've never seen a line not accommodate food allergies or sensitivities if given the chance. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, K12Guy said:

What was the result when you told the Hotel Manager about this?

 

Probably wasn't aware nor the retreat manager. 

 

Easier to moan on CC than to escalate on the ship. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 8:36 AM, amcb said:

That sounds wonderful and answers the question I was just about to ask.  We are on Summit in a week and a half and I wasn't sure if it was too much to ask for an appetizer from Blu or MDR and entree from Luminae or vice versa. It sounds like on the Millennium class ships it's very doable. 

 

🙂 amcb

Yes, Luminae was carved out to the MDR. So the kitchens share space. So yes to being able to get the  MDR menu in Luminae on the S and M class ships. I have never been handed or asked for the Blu menu in Luminae to order from. I've only asked for the MDR menu. This is not the case when it comes to the Edge class ships. As the kitchens are in different locations on the ship. You do have the every evening items also. French onion soup, shrimp cocktail etc...

The concierge in the Retreat or MC will have all the menus for all restaurants for every night of your cruise. I also think the ship App should have the menus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, isdoo said:

 

Probably wasn't aware nor the retreat manager. 

 

Easier to moan on CC than to escalate on the ship. 

Point. I've never actually heard a Luminae employee say such a thing, but we are not demanding and we treat each employee as a peer level human, having been on their side of things. I was curious of the poster would reply, which (s)he has not yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, Oville said:

Funny story about ordering the 4 oz filet off the children’s menu in Luminae on the Edge.  Our last cruise on this ship was in late January 2020.  I’m not a big eater but I do love good food.  I ordered the small filet and it took forever to come out.  When it arrived it had to be closer to 10 oz so I asked where was my small steak, response was we got this from Fine Cuts for you.  The gesture was very nice but way overboard and a total waste.  Sadly we never went back to Luminae and ended up eating at Speciality Restaurants for the rest of the week.

 

Well done as right now Fine Cut is $55/person.  I'm surprised you never went back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

 

 

Well done as right now Fine Cut is $55/person.  I'm surprised you never went back.

We went back for breakfast and lunch.  Luminae on the Edge is quite large and it can be very noisy in the evening much more so than the M and S class restaurants.  Perhaps that because we are late eaters, 8:30-9:00.  The Specialty Restaurants worked out well for us especially Eden.
I think your cruise is coming up shortly, have a great time, the Edge is a great experience.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Yes, Luminae was carved out to the MDR. So the kitchens share space. So yes to being able to get the  MDR menu in Luminae on the S and M class ships. I have never been handed or asked for the Blu menu in Luminae to order from. I've only asked for the MDR menu. This is not the case when it comes to the Edge class ships. As the kitchens are in different locations on the ship. You do have the every evening items also. French onion soup, shrimp cocktail etc...

The concierge in the Retreat or MC will have all the menus for all restaurants for every night of your cruise. I also think the ship App should have the menus.

I've been told that you can order from Blu on the M class because Blu is also carved out to the main dining room.  I'm on Summit in 2 weeks, so I will try that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, gojigirl said:

My husband is a vegan.  Does anyone know if they do vegan or at least vegetarian meals?

 

There is a vegetarian selection on the menu for every night. It actually sounds vegan, but I can't confirm that (I'm sure they can).  Cheers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2021 at 6:00 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

 

Wow! You wonder why "in your words" Bad eaters...."formerly picky"... "who don't really like food" are dining in Luminae or Blu. They're dining in a restaurant that is included with their choice of accommodation.  

Picky eater choose to be that way…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

 

There is a vegetarian selection on the menu for every night. It actually sounds vegan, but I can't confirm that (I'm sure they can).  Cheers! 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...