Jump to content

Mixing doses - Canadians - Pfizer and AZ...


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Our Prime Minister has suspended cruising in Canadian waters until February.  I don't think this will be an election issue.

 

Announcement a few days ago stated cruising can begin in November 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Just now, K_e_short said:

 

Announcement a few days ago stated cruising can begin in November 2021.

 

Thanks for the update, I missed that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

 

Announcement a few days ago stated cruising can begin in November 2021.

 

A rather silly announcement in my opinion. Canada is not known for its winter cruises.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, broberts said:

 

A rather silly announcement in my opinion. Canada is not known for its winter cruises.

 

Politics don't seem to make a lot of sense.

 

But it looks good for those that know nothing about cruising.. "ooo wow November, not February, 4 months early.. oh wow". 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Magicat said:

Royal actually isn't.  It was removed from their site but still is in affect while they "review"...  CTV got it wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, broberts said:

 

A rather silly announcement in my opinion. Canada is not known for its winter cruises.

Not at all silly IMO. The entire cruise and tourism industries and associated organizations can now start planning and ramping up for next year without having to worry about the February deadline possibly being extended. That includes passengers who, when faced with a choice between an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver, might choose Seattle because of the uncertainty. Now they know well in advance that Canada will be open for business.

 

At the same time, it serves as a small but important deterrent to those in the US contemplating an extension of the current PVSA extension, or even a full revision of the Act.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just watched a news report on CNBC with Shepard Smith.  There is a study out that shows that the J&J vaccine is not effective against the Delta Variant.   The article goes on to say that many doctors are comparing a single shot of it to that of a single dose of Astrazenca vaccine to be equally effective.  Here is an interesting extract:

 

Turning to an mRNA vaccine for the second shot, rather than another J&J shot, may be better: Several studies have shown that combining one dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine with a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines kicks up the immune response more effectively than two doses of AstraZeneca.

 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/ct-aud-nw-nyt-johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-delta-variant-20210720-firar53ytzdc7hewcdvqhm7jdm-story.html

 

The specialist on the CNBC show said that he does not consider J&J complete unless you get a second dose.  He recommends it for his clients.

 

This will stoke the discussion on mixing vaccines in the US.   Keep you eyes on the news as this is just out over multiple news services tonight!

 

 

 

 

Edited by tert333
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

Just watched a news report on CNBC with Shepard Smith.  There is a study out that shows that the J&J vaccine is not effective against the Delta Variant.   The article goes on to say that many doctors are comparing a single shot of it to that of a single dose of Astrazenca vaccine to be equally effective.  Here is an interesting extract:

 

Turning to an mRNA vaccine for the second shot, rather than another J&J shot, may be better: Several studies have shown that combining one dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine with a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines kicks up the immune response more effectively than two doses of AstraZeneca.

 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/ct-aud-nw-nyt-johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-delta-variant-20210720-firar53ytzdc7hewcdvqhm7jdm-story.html

 

The specialist on the CNBC show said that he does not consider J&J complete unless you get a second dose.  He recommends it for his clients.

 

This will stoke the discussion on mixing vaccines in the US.   Keep you eyes on the news as this is just out over multiple news services tonight!

 

 

 

 

 

I got AZ and Pfizer.

I was told that my reaction would be bad because of the mixing of types of vaccine.

 

I was also told that my immunity would be stronger for that exact reason - the mixing makes your body react two different ways or something. (I didn't really pay attention but was happy to hear that I might have a higher immunity - I'm a teacher and am exposed to 200 students a day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a feeling that they will reverse their mixing vaccine policy sooner rather than later. Barbados had that policy in place and then they reversed their decision once the publicity was placed on them and they were forced to review. I think with enough pressure by the UK and the Canadian government, they will reverse it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also got AZ and Pfizer. I live in Canada where AZ was allowed and encouraged. Being "immuno-compromized" my doctor told me to get what ever I could as soon as I could get it. DW and I are booked to sail on the Azamara Quest in October 2022. Ideally all of these discussions will be moot by that point. Has anyone heard anything about Azamara's position on this?

 

Forgive the rant:  AZ was put on the back burner because of side effects - blood clots in a minimal amount of cases. There was NO indication that it didn't work. Countries where it was used - however temporarily - have done quite well in dealing with the pandemic. e.g.- Canada, Australia, England. Why the cruise lines won't recognize it as a legitimate vaccination dose is beyond me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, artmc said:

I also got AZ and Pfizer. I live in Canada where AZ was allowed and encouraged. Being "immuno-compromized" my doctor told me to get what ever I could as soon as I could get it. DW and I are booked to sail on the Azamara Quest in October 2022. Ideally all of these discussions will be moot by that point. Has anyone heard anything about Azamara's position on this?

 

Forgive the rant:  AZ was put on the back burner because of side effects - blood clots in a minimal amount of cases. There was NO indication that it didn't work. Countries where it was used - however temporarily - have done quite well in dealing with the pandemic. e.g.- Canada, Australia, England. Why the cruise lines won't recognize it as a legitimate vaccination dose is beyond me.

 

I don't believe the issue is with AZ so much as with mixed vaccines. Had you received two AZ shots in the recommended timeframe all cruise lines would accept you as fully vaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, artmc said:

....

Why the cruise lines won't recognize it as a legitimate vaccination dose is beyond me.

 

This does not rest solely on the cruise lines, they are being held to policy from above which for most discussions has been for US port embarkation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm following this intently, as both DH and I got AZ first and Moderna second.  Luckily we don't cruise until April, so I have until January to see what happens. But it would be nice if I could make solid plans around flights, etc. 

 

My vaccine cocktail is the same as Angela Merkel.  I have to think if it is good enough for her, it will be deemed good enough for me to go on a cruise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue is as follows:

 

1 - The CDC is what the cruiselins have to follow when their cruise ships depart from a US Port

 

2 - The cruiselines have to follow what the CDC says because instead of having test cruises they are doing the 95% vaccinated.

 

3 - The cruiselines that are departing out of Florida can't ask for vaccine proof but can make it difficult to cruise without it (added cost, masks. limited movement on ships, etc).

 

4 - The CDC has decided that mixing different types (vector and MNRA) of vaccines is not what the manufacturers recommendation is

 

5 - The CDC has decided that mixing different vaccines of the same type (Pfizer and Moderna) can only be done in an emergency situation and the shots must be given withint 42 days

 

6 - The CDC recognizes:

A - two doses of AZ 4-12 weeks apart with 8 weeks being ideal

B - two doses of Pfizer or Moderna, ideally 21 - 28 days apart

C - two doses of Pfizer AND Moderna but they have to be 42 days apart

 

Does it make sense? Nope

Is it fair? Nope

 

It all has to do with the CDC.

 

Cruising out of non US ports do not have this issue. Check out all the European cruises currently going on.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

The issue is as follows:

 

1 - The CDC is what the cruiselins have to follow when their cruise ships depart from a US Port

 

2 - The cruiselines have to follow what the CDC says because instead of having test cruises they are doing the 95% vaccinated.

 

3 - The cruiselines that are departing out of Florida can't ask for vaccine proof but can make it difficult to cruise without it (added cost, masks. limited movement on ships, etc).

 

4 - The CDC has decided that mixing different types (vector and MNRA) of vaccines is not what the manufacturers recommendation is

 

5 - The CDC has decided that mixing different vaccines of the same type (Pfizer and Moderna) can only be done in an emergency situation and the shots must be given withint 42 days

 

6 - The CDC recognizes:

A - two doses of AZ 4-12 weeks apart with 8 weeks being ideal

B - two doses of Pfizer or Moderna, ideally 21 - 28 days apart

C - two doses of Pfizer AND Moderna but they have to be 42 days apart

 

Does it make sense? Nope

Is it fair? Nope

 

It all has to do with the CDC.

 

Cruising out of non US ports do not have this issue. Check out all the European cruises currently going on.

 

Does it make sense? Yes, for American citizens who the CDC works for. 

Is it fair? Nope . Agreed, but when has international geopolitics ever been about fairness. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will all be moot point as epidemiologists in the US are recommending those who got a J&J shot get an mRNA shot as a booster. Give it time … guidelines are going to change. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is getting a lot of press.   CBC released a summary of what quebec is doing.   CTV and Global news has a articles as well.  This is going to put a lot of pressure on the federal government in an election year to resolve this issue, by either provided additional doses to those who received the mixed vaccine or work with other countries to accept the mixed dose.   I would think the pressure will start to raise on the feds.   The ontario government sent a letter to Trudeau on getting this resolved.   There is no love lost between Ford and Trudeau.   Ford will want to make Trudeau take the fall for this.   Trudeau's has to get this resolved, or it will cost him votes, and he will need the most that he can get!

 

Dr. Tam normally gives her briefings on Tuesday.  Lets see how that goes...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean's current criteria does not consider me as fully vaccinated for cruising anywhere in the world, not just in the U.S.

 

My Pfizer/Moderna mix was at 55 days apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2021 at 12:44 AM, gnr25 said:

Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean's current criteria does not consider me as fully vaccinated for cruising anywhere in the world, not just in the U.S.

 

My Pfizer/Moderna mix was at 55 days apart.

Same!  I waited so I could have two PF doses, but they are 50 days a part. My daughter (13) who was late getting her first PF dose just had her second yesterday at 32 days a part. DH isn't even vaccinated with one dose (by choice), so she is the only one that can cruise Royal right now LOL

 

Good thing Carnival doesn't have that rule. They just have the AZ mixing rule.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Same!  I waited so I could have two PF doses, but they are 50 days a part. My daughter (13) who was late getting her first PF dose just had her second yesterday at 32 days a part. DH isn't even vaccinated with one dose (by choice), so she is the only one that can cruise Royal right now LOL

 

Good thing Carnival doesn't have that rule. They just have the AZ mixing rule.

 

My understanding, reading what has been said both here and posted by RCL, is the timing between doses only comes into play with mixed doses.  Assuming that is correct, as someone mentioned they even called the cruise line to confirm, then you should be fine with the two PF doses.  Below taken from above and this is what RCL and Celebrity seem to be adhering to.

 

5 - The CDC has decided that mixing different vaccines of the same type (Pfizer and Moderna) can only be done in an emergency situation and the shots must be given withint 42 days.

 

6 - The CDC recognizes:

A - two doses of AZ 4-12 weeks apart with 8 weeks being ideal

B - two doses of Pfizer or Moderna, ideally 21 - 28 days apart

C - two doses of Pfizer AND Moderna but they have to be 42 days apart

Edited by poffles
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...