Wine stewards

KirkNC

On 7/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, jimdee3636 said:

Along with getting free laundry, the 50% discount on wine-by-the-bottle packages was a major benefit of reaching four-star status. I normally don't need sommelier-type advice, but I do need someone who can bring the requested  bottle to the table quickly, know how to open it, put it in a nearby ice bucket if it's a white or sparkling wine, keep an eye on our glasses to see if they need refilling, and---if we don't finish the whole bottle at that meal---re-cork it and put it away for us to finish the following night. I've always gotten that on HAL, but I'm beginning to have my doubts if we'll ever see a "civilized" wine service on HAL again. A damn shame, and maybe, for my wife and me, a deal-breaker with respect to booking future cruises on HAL.

really? a deal breaker? wow, just wow, a little pretentious from my perspective, maybe just be glad that we may be able to cruise again soon, with or without your wine steward.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, echoshipmate said:

really? a deal breaker? wow, just wow, a little pretentious from my perspective, maybe just be glad that we may be able to cruise again soon, with or without your wine steward.

Well. thanks for the compliment.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

I will miss the wine stewards.  And the servers are already run off their feet with more than enough to do, without now having to stop to discuss wine choices with diners, and adding that to their duties.

I really can't imagine how any of the dining room servers, who are for the most part Muslims on HAL and do not drink alcohol, could engage in a conversation about wine with the diners or make recommendations.  Even some the wine stewards, for the most part Filipinos, had very little interest in wine and knew very little about wine or wine service.  Some of them, on the other hand, were excellent and always looking to learn more.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

I really can't imagine how any of the dining room servers, who are for the most part Muslims on HAL and do not drink alcohol

Just curious, how do you know that most of the dining room servers are Muslims? And do you assume that they do not drink alcohol? I do know some Muslims drink alcohol.

33 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Just curious, how do you know that most of the dining room servers are Muslims? And do you assume that they do not drink alcohol? I do know some Muslims drink alcohol.

It is a well-known fact that most of the HAL dining room stewards are from Indonesia, a Muslim-majority country and that most Indonesian Muslims observe Islamic dietary laws that prohibit alcoholic beverages.  

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

It is a well-known fact that most of the HAL dining room stewards are from Indonesia, a Muslim-majority country and that most Indonesian Muslims observe Islamic dietary laws that prohibit alcoholic beverages.  

Thanks for the explanation. A majority of our wait staff over the past few HAL cruises have been from Bali. Bali is mostly Hindu and their attitude toward alcohol is different than the Muslim view. Consumption of alcohol is natural and not forbidden. 

The Wine Stewards that served me who knew the most about their wines were Filipino.

I care not of what religious belief my Wine Steward is.  I have a good idea of what wines that I prefer.  I do not need to depend on a Wine Steward for a recommendation.  

If my Wine Steward seems unable to answer my questions about a wine and if I am that serious about what wine to select (which I would not be), I would consult the Assistant Dining Manager on duty