Final payment due today for what used to be Venice roundtrip cruise

The final payment is due today for my booking on the Eurodam September 12, 2021 cruise which used to be roundtrip Venice.  I'm not ready to make final payment for this cruise with unknown start and end ports.  Venice was a big attraction to selecting this cruise.  Who knows what other changes will be made to the itinerary.   Also don't know who picks up the additional transportations costs if moved to ports such as Trieste or Ravenna.  Does anyone know what will happen to my booking if I just do nothing?

2 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I would be on the phone talking to Hal or calling my TA. Not asking here.

LOL, I agree.  I have never let a cruise “expire”.  I assume, always dangerous, that your booking is canceled but you should get back your deposit.

35 minutes ago, Primus said:

The final payment is due today for my booking on the Eurodam September 12, 2021 cruise which used to be roundtrip Venice.  I'm not ready to make final payment for this cruise with unknown start and end ports.  Venice was a big attraction to selecting this cruise.  Who knows what other changes will be made to the itinerary.   Also don't know who picks up the additional transportations costs if moved to ports such as Trieste or Ravenna.  Does anyone know what will happen to my booking if I just do nothing?

I believe you are already in penalty stage.  

final payments are later with Cruise with Confidence but the penalties still kick in.   

I would take a look at page 2 of your confirmation.  And, as suggested I would be on the phone with your TA or HAL.

I don’t know for sure so you need to ask, but I would suspect YOU will be picking up the transportation costs.  It’s sort of like getting a cruise in Rome which is really  Civitavecchia and you need to get there and pay for it. 

• Like 1

The small deposit will just be transferred to a FCC if I cancel now.  After a really long hold with TA talking to HAL, I've been told that there is a 10-day grace period and my booking won't be automatically cancelled today for non-payment.  Was advised to wait for an update from HAL on changes and options.  I think it is unreasonable that HAL wants payment for a cruise with no identified start/end ports.  Has anyone else used a grace period before?

Since Italy just banned large ships this week, I do not think it is unreasonable for HAL to need additional time to decide what to do with the cruise.  It is not like there are no other issues HAL is dealing with right now.  Hopefully they will be able to decide what to do before the 10 day grace period expires.  

• Like 2

You will not find the answer on this forum.....as above call HAL.  Early days yet.

You can always cancel and rebook.

The reality is that Trieste is two hours away and $20 by direct train.  Ravena is further.  Probaby 2.5-3 hours and a change of train in Bologna.

In either case not a big deal if you are the least bit flexible.

I am sure someone on this forum mentioned that their cruise from Venice, showed Ravenna.  I’m wondering if the cruise lines had a heads up.  

We’re in the same boat but with a lot more time to wait and see. 

57 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

@kazu

Wasn’t there somewhere on line to submit a cancellation or was that only for the cruises that they changed the ship ?

That’s only for the cruises where HAL changed the ship or the cruise, sadly.

And pretty fruitless if you want to do something else.  After back and forths with HAL, I was told we had to do a TA.  Fine, I will do the Fall one (not the spring that is assigned).

My poor TA has had to do a letter on reasons, aggravation, etc.

HAL wants our answer by July 15.  Our letter was sent on July 5th and we still don’t have an answer so there are 3 cabins tied up on the current cruise.  Sheesh.  

1 minute ago, kazu said:

That’s only for the cruises where HAL changed the ship or the cruise, sadly.

And pretty fruitless if you want to do something else.  After back and forths with HAL, I was told we had to do a TA.  Fine, I will do the Fall one (not the spring that is assigned).

My poor TA has had to do a letter on reasons, aggravation, etc.

HAL wants our answer by July 15.  Our letter was sent on July 5th and we still don’t have an answer so there are 3 cabins tied up on the current cruise.  Sheesh.  

Ok. Thought so but wasn’t sure.  

I’m sure TA’s & PCC’s are so busy-I still haven’t heard from my PCC which is very unusual.

Wishing you good luck on changing yours.  

If you have your heart set on sailing direct into / out of Venice proper, the reality is that in the near future it is not likely. In reality, the ship will dock in Trieste, Monfalcone, or Marghera and you should plan accordingly.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, iancal said:

You will not find the answer on this forum.....as above call HAL.  Early days yet.

You can always cancel and rebook.

The reality is that Trieste is two hours away and $20 by direct train.  Ravena is further.  Probaby 2.5-3 hours and a change of train in Bologna.

In either case not a big deal if you are the least bit flexible.

Ya, it's a big deal.

• Like 2

🙃 So does anyone know where the Eurodam will actually dock in Venice? We have not booked our pre-  cruise hotel yet for Venice Sept 12, 2021? or our flight. Thanks .

49 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

🙃 So does anyone know where the Eurodam will actually dock in Venice? We have not booked our pre-  cruise hotel yet for Venice Sept 12, 2021? or our flight. Thanks .

I know the Eurodam is docking at Port Maghera which is not far from Venice for the October 18th sailing.  I suspect it will be the same but what I would suggest is you check the port’s website and see if Eurodam is listed.

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

I know the Eurodam is docking at Port Maghera which is not far from Venice for the October 18th sailing.  I suspect it will be the same but what I would suggest is you check the port’s website and see if Eurodam is listed.

Kazu, Thanks, can you share the link for this, I can't find it. thanks so much.

20 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

Kazu, Thanks, can you share the link for this, I can't find it. thanks so much.

Sorry, it was posted on a roll call and they didn’t provide the link.

But this article might help you and apologies as I spelled Marghera incorrectly I see now.  https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venice-cruise-ship-ban-government/index.html

I did find this but found the website pretty horrible.

https://www.fleetmon.com/ports/marghera_itpma_18006/?language=en

Mind you it’s early - not even August yet so this could improve.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

But this article might help you and apologies as I spelled Marghera incorrectly I see now.  https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venice-cruise-ship-ban-government/index.html

1 hour ago, kazu said:

It seems to contradict itself, first saying the cruise ships will use Marghera but later saying not this year.  Time will tell.

I know this news catches some at a bad time, with decisions to make about final payment, flights, etc.

This article counsels patience -- cruise lines are doing what they can to find solutions:

Italian Decree Bans Cruise Ships From Venice August 1; Lines Seek Alternative Docking | Travel Agent Central

I also read elsewhere that Marghera can only handle a limited amount of ships, so likely there will be some lines that go with other alternatives (like Trieste or Ravenna).

On 7/15/2021 at 12:03 AM, bennybear said:

I am sure someone on this forum mentioned that their cruise from Venice, showed Ravenna.  I’m wondering if the cruise lines had a heads up.  

We’re in the same boat but with a lot more time to wait and see. 

I booked in April and was not told that they were changing the port. When news just broke I checked my invoice and yes Venice states in Brackets Ravenna- I didn’t notice when invoice came through as sailed out of Venice before and thought it was going to be the same. If I was informed that the port was 3 hours away and cost approximately £250 each way by taxi , I would not have booked. I’m now moving my deposit to a different itinerary. Very sad as was looking forward to this first cruise since lockdown 

On 7/14/2021 at 8:31 PM, RD64 said:

If you have your heart set on sailing direct into / out of Venice proper, the reality is that in the near future it is not likely. In reality, the ship will dock in Trieste, Monfalcone, or Marghera and you should plan accordingly.

I agree or just cancel the cruise it sounds like what ever Holland picks you might not be HAPPY.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, the happy organiser said:

I booked in April and was not told that they were changing the port. When news just broke I checked my invoice and yes Venice states in Brackets Ravenna- I didn’t notice when invoice came through as sailed out of Venice before and thought it was going to be the same. If I was informed that the port was 3 hours away and cost approximately £250 each way by taxi , I would not have booked. I’m now moving my deposit to a different itinerary. Very sad as was looking forward to this first cruise since lockdown 

Which ship/line were you sailing on?

Edited by Vict0riann