Final payment due today for what used to be Venice roundtrip cruise

On 7/18/2021 at 6:51 PM, kazu said:

I know the Eurodam is docking at Port Maghera     which is not far from Venice for the October 18th sailing.  I suspect it will be the same but what I would suggest is you check the port’s website and see if Eurodam is listed.

How far is it to the Airport???

11 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

How far is it to the Airport???

Pretty close.  My google search says 8 kilometres so a short trip.

“I know the Eurodam is docking at Port Maghera     which is not far from Venice for the October 18th sailing.  I suspect it will be the same but what I would suggest is you check the port’s website and see if Eurodam is listed.”

The HAL site doesn’t show this yet.  Can you show where you saw this ?  We are on the Sept 12 cruise from Venice and don’t see anything showing Maghera yet.  Thanks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

“I know the Eurodam is docking at Port Maghera     which is not far from Venice for the October 18th sailing.  I suspect it will be the same but what I would suggest is you check the port’s website and see if Eurodam is listed.”

The HAL site doesn’t show this yet.  Can you show where you saw this ?  We are on the Sept 12 cruise from Venice and don’t see anything showing Maghera yet.  Thanks!

I believe someone on the roll call was told that by their travel agent - nothing in writing yet from Hal about Porto Marghera or any other departure port....

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Post #23 from "the happy organizer" says their invoice says Ravenna, not Magheera:

I  think this poster is not a HAL cruiser, most posts are Royal Caribbean, so I doubt it refers to a HAL cruise.

Someone on our October 18 cruise has just posted that HAL told them it would be Porto Marghera and that the cruise line was in the process of organizing transfers.  I imagine we will all hear soon.

Edited by Vict0riann

17 hours ago, Gunther1 said:

We are on the cruise with you.  We talked to both HAL and Costco last week.  They both said HAL is working on it but at that time there was nothing official.   It’s a wait and see game.  

Marghera is very, very, VERY industrial  While certainly there are quays at Marghera that could accommodate Eurodam from a size perspective, there is ZERO infrastructure to support passenger operations - no terminal, no parking, nothing.  Unless some sort of temporary facility is being constructed they may have to do check-in/ disembarkation/luggage handling offsite and bus people to and from the ships actual docking position - less than ideal.  

I agree completely with AtlantaCruiser72 ... I just reviewed the detailed aerial view of Marghera ... No facilities to support Eurodam are visible in the port area.

Posted (edited)

I did some more poking around.  There is an Expo centre in Marghera near the shipyards, but it is currently in use as a mass vaccination site.  Doubtful that would be discontinued in favour of cruises, but it looks to be the ONLY facility in the area capable of handling embarkation/disembarkation duties.  All passengers and baggage would then have to be shuttled to whatever quay they tied the ship up at.  For 2022 it may be a stop-gap option for some ships, but not a long term solution by any means.

It's labeled "Pala Expo di Venezia" on Google maps

image.png.d3b9c92e4ed3cff99b898310b3bd7b4c.png

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

If we DO check-in in Venice and then are shuttled to Porto Marghera (for example), I wonder how our luggage would be transported to the ship ?  

sounds like it’s going to be a clusterf#)&, IMHO :).

I read this excerpt on an Oceania board on what MSC is doing this year for its Venice cruises.  It doesn't seem terrible given the tough spot the cruise lines are in.  It doesn't practically work to overnight in Venice as our cruise in 2022 is supposed to do, but at least allows people to explore Venice pre or post cruise on their own.

Passengers will check in for their cruise in the Venice cruise terminal. Then, they will be transported by bus to Monfalcone, Italy (looks like about a 90 minute ride) where they board the ship. There are no facilities to check in passengers in Monfalcone. At the end of the cruise, passengers have a choice of being taken to the Venice airport, the train station in Venice or back to the cruise port.