How is NCL Doing *Poll*

sparks1093

How's NCL Doing *Poll*  

63 members have voted

1. 1. When Del Rio took over his stated intent was to make NCL more than a mainstream cruise line on par with lines like Celebrity. How has he done so far?

• I have sailed NCL both before Del Rio and after Del Rio and have noticed a large improvement in NCL's overall product.
    • I have sailed NCL both before Del Rio and after Del Rio and have noticed no change.
    • I have sailed both NCL and Celebrity and they are very close in quality.
    • I have sailed both NCL and Celebrity and Celebrity's product is better overall.
    • I have sailed both NCL and Celebrity and NCL's product is better overall.

When Del Rio took over the helm he had a vision for NCL. I'm interested in seeing how he has done since he's been in charge a few years now. If you wish to add comments in addition to voting (or in place of voting) that would be helpful as well.

Edited by sparks1093

31 minutes ago, Hadacareer said:

I had to actually google when he took over! Since I started cruising after that I need to rescind my vote!  But I do love it now!

I probably should have posted that info, sorry. I come up with 1/2015.

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

Who cares, you go with the cruise company you like, brand loyalty is slowly eroding away thanks to technology 

Just idle curiosity on my part. I know that Del Rio caused quiet a stir when he took over and was just wondering how he was doing with his vision. We will pick an itinerary and then book with whichever line has the best price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Considering how long it's been since anyone's cruised, I'll just give a neutral response.  TBD.

Yeah, my timing isn't perfect, for sure. Just bored and curious (a deadly combination).

59 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

My experience isn't on there. Sailed prior and after and thought the post-del rio was worse. But that was a POA cruise so who knows. Sailing in about a month so we will see if my opinion changes

I did think about including that but figured (wrongly, obviously) if that were the case then it's likely that the cruiser had moved on to other lines and they wouldn't be around to respond to the poll. It's nice of you to give them another chance. Many wouldn't.

Just now, sparks1093 said:

I did think about including that but figured (wrongly, obviously) if that were the case then it's likely that the cruiser had moved on to other lines and they wouldn't be around to respond to the poll. It's nice of you to give them another chance. Many wouldn't.

It wasn't that it was terrible. I still like NCL and it is my cruise line of choice. I am hoping to experience a better experience when we sail next month and December. They can't afford bad reviews at this point.

• Like 1

To be fair to NCL, I think it would be hard to remain the same size with only upscale and higher brands.  Royal Caribbean Group can do things with Celebrity that might push some people away, but they can work to move them to Royal Caribbean.  NCLH has no such safety net if they move NCL too upscale.

If Prima and the other Leonardos are something of a sub-brand that seems like a better way to go.

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

To be fair to NCL, I think it would be hard to remain the same size with only upscale and higher brands.  Royal Caribbean Group can do things with Celebrity that might push some people away, but they can work to move them to Royal Caribbean.  NCLH has no such safety net if they move NCL too upscale.

If Prima and the other Leonardos are something of a sub-brand that seems like a better way to go.

As I recall Del Rio's hope was to use NCL as a stepping stone for cruisers to move up to the other two lines in NCLH's basket- Regent Seven Seas and Oceania. 

• Like 1

Have yet to cruise X but I definitely thought NCL was better pre Del Rio. 

As for cruising in the future I think we are done with mass market amusement park cruises. Maybe a river cruise some day.

8 hours ago, saltsandknit said:

I think the new Prima class is to directly compete with Celebrity. It looks to be a beautiful class of ships I am excited to see NCL move in that direction 

But if it gets a water slide and a race track, it immediately attracts families with children and that’s not what Celebrity is about. 

27 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

But if it gets a water slide and a race track, it immediately attracts families with children and that’s not what Celebrity is about. 

What is an orange thingy that goes up and down about?  🙄

Anyway, sophisticated people have children too and I'm sure some also like go karts.

We’ve sailed Carnival, RCL, Celebrity, and NCL.

CARNIVAL= Hated it

RCL= Enjoyed

Celebrity= Disappointing

NCL= Favorite 

These are my opinions based on my experiences. Please don’t waste your time trying to change my opinion. Thanks much and happy cruising to all on whichever cruise line you choose.

We have been sailing since 2021. Have only done 12 cruises so far with one booked for September. So I don't have as much experience as some of you. We have done one on CCC Splendor, One on the RCL Allure, the rest have been on NCL. My experience, I liked them all. We decided to prioritize NCL for loyalty rewards, since we will never do enough cruises to have status on multiple lines. We enjoy the free at sea Specialty dining and beverage packages. Our September cruise will be the first as Platinum members, so looking  forward to the extra specialty dinners.Now that we have retired, we would like to do a few more. We live in upstate NY, so we would need to fly to Florida, and we wanted to avoid that for awhile longer. Our TA provides bus transport to NYC, so we are going to Bermuda again. Hoping NCL has a smooth restart in the USA.

1 hour ago, NJGeorge said:

Have yet to cruise X but I definitely thought NCL was better pre Del Rio. 

As for cruising in the future I think we are done with mass market amusement park cruises. Maybe a river cruise some day.

We have done four river cruise (also, I have done one more, a Nile cruise).  Those were a Russian River cruise from Moscow to St. Pete, a China cruise on the Yangzee, a Douro River cruise in Portugal and a Rhone/Saone (SE France) cruise.

River cruises are different in many ways from ocean cruises.

1) River cruise ships usually have a capacity for from 120-180 passengers

2) After a river cruise you have gotten to know a far number of the passengers

3) Everything is included in a river cruise, except the tips at the end. (some lines  you only get alcohol with the lunch and dinner meal).

4) The ports on a river cruise are frequently small cities or towns but tours may take  you to nearby places of interest via busses.  Also, you get to enjoy the scenic views while on the river.

5) Entertainment is not as huge as on a cruise ship, it may be a singer with a piano payer or a guy with a guitar (still excellent).  It is more intimate than on a river cruise.   

6) Some cruise lines keep bikes onboard for those that want to bike from the port.

7) You don't spend much time in your cabin, but socialize with others in the bar area, which is large enough for everyone.

😎 There are no sea days on a river cruise and in may ways you see more than on an ocean cruise.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Biffire said:

We have been sailing since 2021. Have only done 12 cruises so far with one booked for September. So I don't have as much experience as some of you. We have done one on CCC Splendor, One on the RCL Allure, the rest have been on NCL. My experience, I liked them all. We decided to prioritize NCL for loyalty rewards, since we will never do enough cruises to have status on multiple lines. We enjoy the free at sea Specialty dining and beverage packages. Our September cruise will be the first as Platinum members, so looking  forward to the extra specialty dinners.Now that we have retired, we would like to do a few more. We live in upstate NY, so we would need to fly to Florida, and we wanted to avoid that for awhile longer. Our TA provides bus transport to NYC, so we are going to Bermuda again. Hoping NCL has a smooth restart in the USA.

NCL has a great cruise that goes from either NYC or Boston, stopping in Maine, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and ending up in Quebec City.  I highly recommend that cruise.

Our cruise left from Boston, here is my review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=635360&et_cid=3110946&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards