Jump to content

Passport Alert


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, kilkoyne said:

 

Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for processing and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.

 

Six additional weeks for mailing times?   What are they using, the Pony Express?

 

Actually, it wouldn't take six weeks by pony...    😆

Edited by mpk
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I used this helpful tool when tracking my passport renewal status:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/

 

  • You enter your last name, date of birth and the last 4 digits of your SSN. You may not get a status update until 6 weeks after you apply. To me it was better than just waiting in the dark with no idea where my application was in the pipeline.

Great information. When we return in December the husband and I both will renewing our passports and Global ID.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I submitted my paperwork on 6/3 & received my new passport yesterday.  I was using a courier service (rush my passport dot com) with regular processing, not the upgraded "expedited" package.  The whole thing was pretty painless.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 6:34 AM, CTCruiser001 said:

Mailed my application, expired passport and fees on June 22nd, check was deposited June 24th.

Have been checking status online every few days and was "In-Process" since June 23rd. Just checked and saw my passport is approved and will be in my hands on or around July 21st. Four weeks turnover, with expedited processing and expedited shipping fees included.   

 

If you read though the application, it shows the best way to ship items to them, and offers a $17.56 extra fee for them to ship everything back to you faster than the stated 6 weeks shipping time on the website. 

 

Barring any hiccups preventing me from receiving my passport by next week, I can't complain about the service. 

 

One item I wonder is if people are filling out application incorrectly and inadvertently causing delays? 

 

Mine was "in processing" June 24th a day after yours and not approved yet. Which facility (or state) did you send yours to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

 

Mine was "in processing" June 24th a day after yours and not approved yet. Which facility (or state) did you send yours to?

 

Approved today. Passport should be in3 days...........

I'm really starting to think the passport agency is scaring people in order for them to pay the ridiculous fees for expedited service. 😠

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2021 at 12:26 PM, kdmbluerzr said:

Ohhhh snap!   I just sent in renewal forms (along with our current passports) for husband and myself Tuesday this week. We have a Bliss cruise out of LA November 28th. I did read all of the info regarding passport renewal that included the how long it takes to get your new passport info. The U.S. Department of State website states 6 to 8 weeks.  Final payment date isn't until Sept 29th, so we shall see. UHGGGGG!    😬

 

Mine was just approved and said it will be arriving 7/24 (a little over 4 weeks). Although I did expedited service I'm sure I would've been ok without it. 

 

I doubt you'll have any problems getting yours in time. I'm starting to think the longer times are being listed as a scare tactic to get people to pay more for the expedited service. 😠

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, cruiserbear55 said:

Sent our renewals in by  "certified-return receipt requested" on April 1. Receipt was stamped 5/19 and check was cashed on 5/20.I then checked my status online. Was informed we still had 8-12 weeks wait time.So in total we could be looking at 15-19 weeks .So anyone needs renewals, plan on a long process!!

Update: Received our passports today. Sixteen weeks total!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thought people on this thread might be interested in this article I just saw. Apparently, Congress is concerned about the backlog and it has partially to do with staffing shortages at the State Dept.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/564159-house-bill-targets-us-passport-backlog

 

Just saw this a bit ago. Interesting and a bit humorous. By the time they all submit their plan on how to resolve the issue and then actually implement said plan, the backlog issue quite likely will have resolved itself. But who knows, maybe the focus and attention will light a fire under someone to do something about it sooner than later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2021 at 1:23 AM, mpk said:

Six additional weeks for mailing times?   What are they using, the Pony Express? Actually, it wouldn't take six weeks by pony...    😆

No, it means that when thousands of envelopes show up daily, those for express processing are pulled from the pile first while others sit in the pile.

 

On the other side, when passports are printed, those with express processing get pulled from the printer and are packaged and mailed first, while the thousands of others sit waiting to be processed and put into a first class envelope to be mailed. 

 

Like most things in life, if you're willing to part with some $$$, someone will move you to the front of the line. 

 

Our express passports took 30 days from the day we mailed them to the day we got our new passports in the mail back in March 2021. That was even with the million passport backlog from the covid shutdown. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No, it means that when thousands of envelopes show up daily, those for express processing are pulled from the pile first while others sit in the pile.

 

On the other side, when passports are printed, those with express processing get pulled from the printer and are packaged and mailed first, while the thousands of others sit waiting to be processed and put into a first class envelope to be mailed. 

 

Like most things in life, if you're willing to part with some $$$, someone will move you to the front of the line. 

 

Our express passports took 30 days from the day we mailed them to the day we got our new passports in the mail back in March 2021. That was even with the million passport backlog from the covid shutdown. 

 

Money talks, BS walks...I send my renewal in June 22nd, and had my new passport in hand, July 19th. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My luck is not going quite so good yet. USPS tracking on my mailing showed "Delivered" a week ago to the US Deptartment of State address. My payment has not yet been processed through my bank, passport status is "Unavailable". Not surprised at the passport status, however, thought they would have deposited my check by now. When the day comes that I am finally "In Process" I will try to call the service representatives number and upgrade to the expedited return mailing. Craziness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i am doomed,

 

i have a flight to Europe august 29th (for two people) and the a cruise a week later.

 

they received my expedited passport application on july 14.

 

there is $5000.00 down the drain 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I sent mine in mid July (received on the 20th) and I just received an email today stating it's approved and should be delivered by Aug 13.  I paid for the expedited processing and shipping.  If it arrives on the 13th like they say, that would be about 4 weeks.  So if you need it, pay the extra 60 bucks for expedited.

Edited by TFLG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to give an update that I mailed my renewal application through USPS priority mail on April 26, 2021.  Tracking showed it was received on April 28.  I received my new passport in the mail yesterday, August 16, 2021.

 

This was for a November cruise, so I knew that I had plenty of time and selected normal processing, not expedited.  The SoS did not note my status or cash my payment until June 25.

Edited by mininewman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mininewman said:

Just wanted to give an update that I mailed my renewal application through USPS priority mail on April 26, 2021.  Tracking showed it was received on April 28.  I received my new passport in the mail yesterday, August 16, 2021.

 

This was for a November cruise, so I knew that I had plenty of time and selected normal processing, not expedited.  The SoS did not note my status or cash my payment until June 25.

Good to know!   

Just wondering, did your month/date of expiration change?  Or does it extend out 10 years from your prior date?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, mininewman said:

Just wanted to give an update that I mailed my renewal application through USPS priority mail on April 26, 2021.  Tracking showed it was received on April 28.  I received my new passport in the mail yesterday, August 16, 2021.

 

This was for a November cruise, so I knew that I had plenty of time and selected normal processing, not expedited.  The SoS did not note my status or cash my payment until June 25.

Do you happen to know which facility it was sent off to?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was sent to the Philadelphia processor (I'm in Indiana). My expiration date did change, it appears to be 10 years from when they actually finished the thing, as it expires in August now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sent in two passport renewals (mine & husband's) the first week of May to the TX processing center. They were mailed priority mail from the post office at the same time. My package was acknowledged on 6/8 and the other package 6/9, and the checks were cashed.  I received my new passport on 6/21.  My husband just received notification yesterday (8/17) that his passport was approved and it can be expected 8/23....neither was expedited....So, two packages, mailed on the same day, yet one has taken two months longer than the other one.... We don't travel until 9/2022, so there was no rush....but 2 months difference in processing time is kind of a mystery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hernando52 said:

I sent in two passport renewals (mine & husband's) the first week of May to the TX processing center. They were mailed priority mail from the post office at the same time. My package was acknowledged on 6/8 and the other package 6/9, and the checks were cashed.  I received my new passport on 6/21.  My husband just received notification yesterday (8/17) that his passport was approved and it can be expected 8/23....neither was expedited....So, two packages, mailed on the same day, yet one has taken two months longer than the other one.... We don't travel until 9/2022, so there was no rush....but 2 months difference in processing time is kind of a mystery.

Wow that is a difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 2:39 PM, kilkoyne said:

 

Mine was just approved and said it will be arriving 7/24 (a little over 4 weeks). Although I did expedited service I'm sure I would've been ok without it. 

 

I doubt you'll have any problems getting yours in time. I'm starting to think the longer times are being listed as a scare tactic to get people to pay more for the expedited service. 😠

Kilkoyne you were right!  Received my passport yesterday.  So surprised!  Took 5 weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 5:07 PM, MSUjohn said:

ok, i am not doomed.

 

i received me renewal today after mailing it 5 weeks ago.

There were a lot of us that had the same concern.  I too, sent two passports via USPS regular priority mail service mid July, received the new passports yesterday. Approx 5 weeks. So either the US Passport offices over stated the rediculous scary timelines or they hired enough people and are caught up on the backlog.  Thinking people need not be so spooked about this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...