This why cruise ships should not allow any unvaccinated adult onboard any ship.

14 hours ago, PS0DSH said:

I assume y'all do realize that even if your are vaccinated, you can still carry the virus and spread it to others ?  All the vaccination does is lower your risk of serious or fatal complications if you do get infected again.

Yes, most of us do realize that and do realize that the rate of transmission is also vastly reduced (not eliminated), in addition.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There will be a lot of “he said and she said” and there will be a complete review of what went wrong, but the fact remains that her behavior as seen on the film was unacceptable and she could not be allowed to stay on the ship  and will probably now find herself banned from cruising on that line again.

Agree but it was reported that RCCL offered her compensation.  That is the complete opposite direction of a ban for her behavior.  In fact it encourages cheating and bad behavior.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PS0DSH said:

I assume y'all do realize that even if your are vaccinated, you can still carry the virus and spread it to others ?  All the vaccination does is lower your risk of serious or fatal complications if you do get infected again.

Thanks for letting us know.  Most people here had no idea.  That is all a vaccination does.  Keeps you out of the hospital and saves your life.  Y'all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for letting us know.  Most people here had no idea.  That is all a vaccination does.  Keeps you out of the hospital and saves your life.  Y'all.

Saves others' lives, too. 

The problem is that as long as there are hosts (the unvaxxed), COVID will continue to spread. 

As long as it spreads, it will mutate--which could eventually lead to ineffectiveness of current vaccines.

(BTW the vaccinated aren't good hosts--yes, we can catch it, but we don't give the virus much "fuel")

Get vaccinated.

Wear masks again indoors. (FL is considered a high transmission spot)

I'm not worried about masks on my upcoming cruise with 95%.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You missed my point obviously...but that's OK.  I'm booked for a after Thanskgiving 12-nite cruise and am looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Agree but it was reported that RCCL offered her compensation.  That is the complete opposite direction of a ban for her behavior.  In fact it encourages cheating and bad behavior.  

It’s part of Royal’s larger policy to issue a refund if someone tests positive at boarding or during a cruise. If it were up to me, I’d issue her a refund as soon as possible, let things die down in the media, and then ban her for violating their guest conduct policy. Maybe not even inform her unless she tried to book a cruise.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,  I do read here on CC but seldom post.

Anyway,  cruise line protocols should be like that of MSC.  Everyone is tested at the port- vax not vax.
If + not allowed to board and refunded.  Makes no distinction as to whether it is a persistent positive after contracting covid ( but not infectious).   Really, it is difficult to have so many exceptions.

In her case,  she did present a negative PCR at embarkation (confirmed by RC) and tested positive later.  Maybe a false negative PCR at embarkation (or faked- given her rant, does not seem so impossible) or a false positive with the ship test.

In either case,  if you were negative before and positive now,  then maybe, you have a very uncommon case of reinfection.

MSC requires mask for all, no exceptions, when indoors or when social distancing is not possible.  Why can't RC and Carnival do this?

And to that link of the CDC.   It is a recommendation. Cruise lines are free to follow it or not.  Come July 18, it becomes moot and academic. 

Anyway, here is a cut and paste from it.

"  If you recently recovered from COVID-19:
If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you are symptomatic. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel.

Remember she said she had covid in March.  That is past the 90 day (+/-) at which the natural antibodies protect you.
She gave a negative test at the port.  Then she tested positive on the boat.

Kearney mentioned  "  My point was that Royal should have expected that when testing a covid recovered passenger that they were likely to get a positive result.   "

The likelyhood is that you will not test positive.  It is between 10-17% for persistent positive in the 3 month time frame.   Still a significant minority though.   

It is moot and academic again as she presented at the embarkation a NEGATIVE PCR.  which begs me to question whether it is real/ faked/ or false negative.

I do NOT applaud RC for what they did.  I was expecting a flogging :-)))))

Seriously now,  Royal decided to send Keith to her (RC supervisor??), return her fare and comp another cruise for her.  It was the better part of valor.  If you saw the video,  she said she will jump of the wheelchair or even the boat if Keith did not come and they tried to move the wheelchair out.

Oh! I fell!  Then rant on a defective wheelchair.   RC has spent so much already (ambulance and private plane) so an additional $400 ( 4 day cruise) was a small price to pay to Karen her out of the ship.

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I concur. Follow the policy, refund the cruise, and then ban the cruiser.

passengers who verbally abuse crew members deserve to be banned from cruising for life.

Squeaky wheel seems to win every time.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Plus being vaccinated allows you freedom to enjoy your cruise without limitations as well as any of the additional "unvaccinated" costs now being incurred by those who are not. 😎

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigwawao said:

Agree.  Ban her for life but for heaven's sake,  include your other lines that you own.  And inform your competitors so they will be aware .

Bigwawao,

in your previous post, you said Royal confirmed that she had presented negative test results at embarkation. I also read that Royal had made a statement on the situation, but could not find it through googling. Can you direct me to their statement? Thanks!

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/woman-unleashes-viral-rant-after-positive-covid-19-test-forces-removal-from-cruise-ship.html

Item is towards the bottom.

Cut and paste

"These two guests provided a negative PCR test at check-in but did not take part in the required boarding day test per our policy for unvaccinated guests," Royal Caribbean Group spokesperson Jonathon Fishman told the Herald in an email. "Once this was recognized, we immediately made the guests aware and tested them on board." 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bigwawao said:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/woman-unleashes-viral-rant-after-positive-covid-19-test-forces-removal-from-cruise-ship.html

Item is towards the bottom.

Cut and paste

"These two guests provided a negative PCR test at check-in but did not take part in the required boarding day test per our policy for unvaccinated guests," Royal Caribbean Group spokesperson Jonathon Fishman told the Herald in an email. "Once this was recognized, we immediately made the guests aware and tested them on board." 

Thanks for the link. I also read the linked Miami Herald article, which was very informative. She destroyed any credibility she may have had by subsequent actions in my opinion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok,
I've read this entire thread, and found it very interesting.
I agree with comments and removal... but I want to take this thread on a different tangent.

Per my Signature, I've cruised enough to know what I'm doing -- yet I'm not sure I feel comfortable cruising just yet.  Too many un-answered question, IMO.

Ships we hear about are sailing at 40% (+/-) of capacity. Have any sailed at full capacity?
Are all ports allowing passengers to get off, even if NOT on a Ships tour?  What's open at the Ports?  I doubt most Islands (Caribbean) have similar access to vaccinations, therefore many business may be closed or operating with different rules; what are the vaccination rates for the Ports?

I vaccinated as soon as I was eligible (ran there, quickly), and have enjoyed the new 'freedom' of no mask for vaccinated people..... but where might masks be required to cruise?  Common, public areas?

In my city / county, it is reported the vaccination rate is roughly 50%.  Which means while out and about, shopping, etc.... I ought to see 50% (the non-vaccinated) wearing masks as they venture out.  Not the case... lucky if you see 10% wearing masks. Does this mean all the non-vaccinated people aren't out shopping?  or more likely, flat out lying..... and making the decision to not wear a mask, when they should?

I think All ships should be allowed to be 100% Vaccinated passengers (and crew), so it can be safer for all.... ok, stepping off my soap box now...

Kirk

Edited by Crusin till Im Dead
typo
  • Like 5

So the exact same scenario can happen to anyone (vaxed, non vaxed, can't be vaxed, immune, etc.) - i.e. get a positive test at any time during travel.  If travel providers want people to go then they have to protocols in place to handle the positive tests.  And travelers have to be willing to accept the protocol.

Which makes me wonder, if a cruise line wants to test each passenger before boarding will it be a competitive advantage or disadvantage??

4 hours ago, PS0DSH said:

You missed my point obviously...but that's OK.  I'm booked for a after Thanskgiving 12-nite cruise and am looking forward to it.

p - sorry, I missed it as well.

bon voyage

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So the exact same scenario can happen to anyone (vaxed, non vaxed, can't be vaxed, immune, etc.) - i.e. get a positive test at any time during travel.  If travel providers want people to go then they have to protocols in place to handle the positive tests.  And travelers have to be willing to accept the protocol.

Which makes me wonder, if a cruise line wants to test each passenger before boarding will it be a competitive advantage or disadvantage??

For many of us, competitive AND hopefully for most of our line(s) of choice, primarily X...

In health and bon voyage

Hard to say if testing everyone is a competitive advantage.  I would say, at least for me, it is as (disregarding false + and -)  it would catch + cases before they board the ship.  But some might argue, esp those vaxxed,  that I don't want that thing up my nose, I'm vaxxed.   So really, for me I cannot say if it is an advantage for the cruise line.

A similar analogy is that the buffet is now served cafeteria style.  Carnival recently said in their vaxxed cruises, it will be self serve.  This in my opinion will be a competitive advantage and unfortunately, it is also a race to the bottom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Actually, it's a scenario that won't happen to a vaccinated passenger as they're not required to take any covid tests during the cruise.  (specific to Celebrity out of Florida)

I just read that in one region, 30% of the new Delta cases were in vaccinated people, so I don’t think being vaccinated or unvaccinated would solve the issue necessarily. I do believe that being vaccinated reduces your chances of getting it for sure. I just don’t think it should be considered the guarantee that I think some are believing it to be now that new variants are arising. To me, this is an issue of a lady having a very public meltdown over

something that was a very big blunder, and we don’t know who’s to blame for her initially slipping through the system.

8 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I just read that in one region, 30% of the new Delta cases were in vaccinated people, so I don’t think being vaccinated or unvaccinated would solve the issue necessarily. I do believe that being vaccinated reduces your chances of getting it for sure. I just don’t think it should be considered the guarantee that I think some are believing it to be now that new variants are arising. To me, this is an issue of a lady having a very public meltdown over

something that was a very big blunder, and we don’t know who’s to blame for her initially slipping through the system.

Is it possible for you to post the link where you read this about the Delta variant and that 30% of those getting COVID are fully vaccinated?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Can you cite your source? I just read that over 99% of the new cases are among non vaccinated people.

Thanks

Edited by sasset
Punctuation.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

There is a thread on the Carnival board about a couple who post there often. Both have recently tested positive after going out to dinner with friends, some of whom were not vaccinated. It makes the point that break-through infections are real and are likely to show upon cruise ships as they increase in the general population.

So, no, the vaccine is not the hoped-for guarantee, and that has some troubling implications as cruise lines are trying to restart.