Canada's cruise ship ban to end Nov. 1

xlxo

Good news.  Maybe.  What will the "public health requirements" be?  Will they be the same as the United States?  

There isn't much, if any, cruise ship activity after November 1st of any year.  That will give the Canadian government the Fall and Winter to get into synch with whatever the United States requirements are.  

The wild card in this for both countries is if the virus and its variants become such a problem that both countries need to go into some form of lockdown again.  

I see this as nothing but political fluff. There are typically NO cruise ships to Canada (lest they use an icebreaker, perhaps) after October 31.

And then they throw out the caveat that the lines must fully comply with public health requirements. I would guess this is because another country didn't acquiesce to being bullied by the limp leaders. Perhaps not. 

Meanwhile, the tourist industry in Canada is suffering and people are having to try to earn income to support their families. But, they are being lead by a silver spooner who had never had to work a day in his life.

Even if the ban was lifted today, there is little likelihood that the cruise lines would be able to stop in the Canadian ports - they would have to alter their schedules, the ports needs to hire staff, shore excursions would need to be booked, US custom officials diverted from other border crossing etc.

It also seems to me that the big increase in COVID related cases is happening in the US and not in Canada at this time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, K12Guy said:

I see this as nothing but political fluff. There are typically NO cruise ships to Canada (lest they use an icebreaker, perhaps) after October 31.

And then they throw out the caveat that the lines must fully comply with public health requirements. I would guess this is because another country didn't acquiesce to being bullied by the limp leaders. Perhaps not. 

how can you even walk carrying all that mental baggage? icebreakers? really?

we are currently experiencing spikes in outbreaks in most southeast ports. and these are from the smaller highly regulated cruise ships.

time to build more torres ...............

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bottom-dragger said:

how can you even walk carrying all that mental baggage? icebreakers? really?

It was a joke. Thanks for playing along.

5 minutes ago, bottom-dragger said:

these are from the smaller highly regulated cruise ships.

Because none of the locals have Covid, right? Funny stuff.

43 minutes ago, bottom-dragger said:

It should provide some comfort to you that I'm not planning to visit Sitka or Petersburg any time soon. although we did sail on Sikumi there in 2009, I believe.

I'm curious if you have chosen to be vaccinated?

Your comments are out of concern, and I appreciate that, but there is no need for personal attacks or being tacky. I would think you can do better.

13 hours ago, K12Guy said:

I'm curious if you have chosen to be vaccinated?

Your comments are out of concern, and I appreciate that, but there is no need for personal attacks or being tacky. I would think you can do better.

I'm a first responder, SAR ( search and rescue) and received my second shot the last week of January. And the first friday of each month I get a nasal swab.

3 hours ago, bottom-dragger said:

I'm a first responder, SAR ( search and rescue) and received my second shot the last week of January. And the first friday of each month I get a nasal swab.

Not sure why you hate tourists. I guess they get in the way of fishing, maybe. I'm glad you're SAR and vaccinated. If more people would follow your lead maybe we could gain herd immunity and put this all behind us (the survivors).

A serious question, if you have time. What time table do YOU see for getting those in your area herd immunity (sans tourists, if possible)?

On 7/15/2021 at 11:58 PM, K12Guy said:

I see this as nothing but political fluff. There are typically NO cruise ships to Canada * * * after October 31.

The other day the Wall Street Journal reported that Canada may re-open the border next month, mid-August, for tourism and other general travel. So for Canada to delay the re-opening with respect to cruise line vessels to November would be discriminatory as to that particular mode of transportation, and it would have the practical effect of cancelling such travel through May of next year . . . there are no departures after October 31, be it for west coast Alaska cruises or for east coast New England cruises.

Canada has been showing it ugly side throughout this pandemic. Besides the authoritative measures its government has been taking against its own citizens internally, there have been many reports of individual Canadians physically attacking Americans out of the fear its government has stoked. The concerns by a few Alaskans pale in comparison to Canadians.

The cruise industry cannot wait until zero infections. Indeed, the strategy for COVID-19 has not been to eradicate viral infections, but to control the number of infections so as not to overwhelm the public healthcare system. All indications are that the public health system is under control, and that it is reasonable for cruise line vessels to resume sailing. Those in opposition are doing so for political reasons.