Canada's cruise ship ban to end November 1st, 2021

35 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Amazing what a little push does.

Pure posturing on everyone’s part that changes nothing. The Canadian cruise season ends before mid October. Any date between October 15 one year and April 15 the next means exactly the same thing. All the players involved know this. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, woodworker&knitter said:

What little push???

Really? As was mentioned they did it for the summer of 22.  With the new law Alaska could continue to operate without Canada.  Wisely they opened up in time to save 22 as the new law states that it will end if Canada opens back up.  Glad to see it because having Canada is a plus for sure.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Good news, I guess, but nothing to celebrate.  11/21 or 2/22....it's all the same considering its off season.  

Exactly ... a useless press conference for a useless announcement.  What is more important at this stage is an announcement on the opening date of the Canada-US border! 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

Exactly ... a useless press conference for a useless announcement.  What is more important at this stage is an announcement on the opening date of the Canada-US border! 

I thought that opening was progressing?

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

Really? As was mentioned they did it for the summer of 22.  With the new law Alaska could continue to operate without Canada.  Wisely they opened up in time to save 22 as the new law states that it will end if Canada opens back up.

Because reopening in February 2022 instead of November 2021  impacts cruises in late April or early May how, exactly? Picking any date between mid October and mid April is like the difference between six and a half dozen. But it looks good on politicians with elections on the horizon.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Really? As was mentioned they did it for the summer of 22.  With the new law Alaska could continue to operate without Canada.  Wisely they opened up in time to save 22 as the new law states that it will end if Canada opens back up.

The exemption is while the ban is in place, or 3/31/22, whichever comes first.  But that said, if the Canada ban continued through 2022, I'm sure the exemption would be extended.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Because reopening in February 2022 instead of November 2021  impacts cruises in late April or early May how, exactly? Picking any date between mid October and mid April is like the difference between six and a half dozen. But it looks good on politicians with elections on the horizon.

Scheduling....port options......I would guess the cruise lines were behind the move up date but that being said I can't argue with the political games position you and others are implying.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Scheduling....port options......I would guess the cruise lines were behind the move up date but that being said I can't argue with the political games position you and others are implying.

When in doubt, political games are always a good guess for motivation.😉

• Like 1

There was no push that worked.

The decision on ports and borders is based on recommendations from the public health authorities.   Not always popular in some quarters but this has been primarily a health issue not a popularity contest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, iancal said:

There was no push that worked.

The decision on ports and borders is based on recommendations from the public health authorities.   Not always popular in some quarters but this has been primarily a health issue not a popularity contest.

Ok no push by the cruise lines to generate sales....no push by the gov"t ......no push by the politicians to look good... just strictly health.  Health issue.  Got it.

6 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Ok no push by the cruise lines to generate sales....no push by the gov"t ......no push by the politicians to look good... just strictly health.  Health issue.  Got it.

Well really...a push to open to cruises on Nov 1.  Sales???  Give your head a shake....that means spring 2022.   The last time I checked icebreakers were not offering cruises.   Even then it can be changed.

It is a completely content free,  meaningless announcement.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Yep.  Canada has to do this to try and protect the 4 billion dollar cruising tourism money that is at stake for 2022.

Canada needs to commit to cruiseline planners port readiness so cruiselines can lure new monies and current FCC monies thru new itinerary offerings for 2022,  but I am not sure,  I don't know that current status of Canadian port sailings in 2022 and their availability on the TA websites will clue me in.

Seattle is in good shape to benefit here from additional sailings if the vax rates stay slow.

Here in SD we are at the 90% and thereabouts for goals,  but I am worried about the rest of the worlds readiness and thus I think US domestic routes need to be expanded in the next few years to bridge the gap until Canada  and the rest of the world is on par with the US vax wise.

The temporary PVSA exemption may need to be extended or permanently changed in a manner which addresses problems that were exposed as a result of Covid-19.  Same old story.

This is where markets step in and influence legislatures.

Very interesting to watch developments here and abroad.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, iancal said:

Well really...a push to open to cruises on Nov 1.  Sales???  Give your head a shake....that means spring 2022.   The last time I checked icebreakers were not offering cruises.   Even then it can be changed.

It is a completely content free,  meaningless announcement.

If one is booking a Summer cruise and worried about an  extension of a shutdown what looks better?  The port and country closed until Nov. or the later date?  Nobody is talking about ice cruises.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JRG said:

Yep.  Canada has to do this to try and protect the 4 billion dollar cruising tourism money that is at stake for 2022.

Canada needs to commit to cruiseline planners port readiness so cruiselines can lure new monies and current FCC monies thru new itinerary offerings for 2022,  but I am not sure,  I don't know that current status of Canadian port sailings in 2022 and their availability on the TA websites will clue me in.

Seattle is in good shape to benefit here from additional sailings if the vax rates stay slow.

Here in SD we are at the 90% and thereabouts for goals,  but I am worried about the rest of the worlds readiness and thus I think US domestic routes need to be expanded in the next few years to bridge the gap until Canada  and the rest of the world is on par with the US vax wise.

The temporary PVSA exemption may need to be extended or permanently changed in a manner which addresses problems that were exposed as a result of Covid-19.  Same old story.

This is where markets step in and influence legislatures.

Very interesting to watch developments here and abroad.

You can speak for me on this lolol

I suppose it also means that the Washington and Alaska State ferries will be able to ply Canadian waters.  Perhaps the Coho ferry between Port Angeles and Victoria will start up again a bit sooner.

We just hope the land border opens up soon.

• Like 3

That's good news.

First, Canada is able to open up because >70% of the population will be full vax by September. Possibly >75% by November.

Second, it's good news for Canadian cruisers. The end of the cruise ban will also end the travel advisory on cruising. Possibly, allowing Canadians to cruise with insurance during the winter months.

No, I don't think that the $4 billion industry matters that much to a $2 trillion economy. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1