Cruise ships allowed to return to Canada on Nov 1.

9 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Butchart (sp?) Gardens were amazing.

They are, however, a better much more enjoyable experience is to visit Butchart gardens when cruise ships are not in port. On days when there are cruise ships in port there are upwards of 40 tour busses descending on Butchart Gardens.  Pick a weekday when no cruise ships are in port and it is a substantially different experience.  I highly recommend visiting British Columbia.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I agree, while Victoria is an interesting spot to visit, it was little more than a technical stop to satisfy PVSA on a cruise ship.  On our now cancelled Ovation cruise I think it was 9am to 2pm, we had another one on Princess last year that was cancelled that arrived at 7am and departed at 2pm and next years Ovation cruise is scheduled from 5pm to 10pm.  You couldn't get a more useless stop than that.  If people want to visit Vancouver and Victoria I recommend you do it as a pre or post cruise trip on a one way Alaskan cruise where. you can spend a few days experiencing all this great area offers.

Unfortunately, its the cruise lines that make it just a technical stop.  Victoria is used for Round trip inside passage cruises originating out of Seattle.  Having been on a couple of these, with the 4 hour stop, we ended up staying on the ship as there was not much time to go from where the ships are docked to where the heart of the city is.  The less time they spend in Victoria, the more time you have shopping at the docks in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

5 hours ago, dswallow said:

Kinda wish the US would just stop the PVSA nonsense; we really have no use for Canada on the Alaska side of cruising; it's mostly just a waste of a day that could be better used elsewhere. The east coast is the only side with ports in Canada people actually choose a cruise in order to visit (OK, that may be stretching it just a little; not sure that many people care about those ports vs just the cruise).

I haven’t been on any cruises with stops in Canada. I definitely want to go to some on both the east and west side. 

15 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Trudeau: U.S.-Canada border could open to fully vaccinated Americans in August

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/15/trudeau-us-canada-border-americans-499807

Pack your woolies for that November cruise! 🥶

As I've seen before on Cruise Critic.... layers!!  I've been in Canada before in early November when a heavy sweater and shell is OK and then, suddenly, freezing rain, snow and sub-zero temperatures until late April of the next year.

Edited by d9704011

18 hours ago, dswallow said:

Kinda wish the US would just stop the PVSA nonsense; we really have no use for Canada on the Alaska side of cruising; it's mostly just a waste of a day that could be better used elsewhere. The east coast is the only side with ports in Canada people actually choose a cruise in order to visit (OK, that may be stretching it just a little; not sure that many people care about those ports vs just the cruise).

The PVSA was originally passed in 1886 to "protect" US companies.  Unions and owners/operators of US ships have fought repealing it for years.  So, as long as some are beholden to labor unions, it won't be repealed anytime soon.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/passenger-vessel-services-act-reform-bills-face-uphill-battle

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The port of Vancouver is beautiful in November.  I especially like it because not only is it raining buckets but there is usually a lot of wind so rain is falling sideways, negating the effectiveness of requisite umbrella.  

6FB1A358-F3DB-4D65-A7CD-216121BA3CA6_1_102_a.thumb.jpeg.d2dbe3e9a4147f6156cd6ce8ae893e0a.jpeg

Really, inferring that the goal is to start cruising in November is ridiculous. It is to confirm opening up so cruise lines and guests can begin planning confidently for next spring and summer.

20 hours ago, dswallow said:

Not true, we went to the west coast, Vancouver, twice and we enjoyed it.   Yes I do enjoy the East Coast too.    Loved Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.   I would go back to both the West and east Coast.

20 hours ago, dswallow said:

I understand your feelings, but Vancouver is a great place to visit.  Also, we did a four day Canadian Rockies bus tour from there prior to our Alaska cruise and it was great.

17 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Nanaimo is a great place to get heroin.  

14 hours ago, crzndeb said:

And don’t forget to stop at the safe injection site and needle exchange in downtown Vancouver when you go....LOL

13 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

A new twist on an old favorite.

downtown east side “shooting galleries”. 

The point I was trying to make is this subject is nothing to joke about.

9 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

Put me on ignore.  You don't get to tell me what i talk about.  I'll joke about what I want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

Hi Mary,

I just get so tired of people putting down Seattle, and raving about Vancouver. Both cities are beautiful, and both have their share of issues. If people don’t want to come to Seattle, then don’t come, but keep the negativity to yourself.

4 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Hi Mary,

I just get so tired of people putting down Seattle, and raving about Vancouver. Both cities are beautiful, and both have their share of issues. If people don’t want to come to Seattle, then don’t come, but keep the negativity to yourself.

Hello Debbie,

Miss cruising so much.

I don't usually post on the Royal board. No further comments LOL.

I love Seattle too. My son and his family are moving to Finland in10 days so will be visiting them there instead.

Looking forward to cruising with you again soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Now back to those cruises leaving Vancouver in November.

This is a picture I took 5 hours east of Vancouver October 23rd last year.

5E1F78F5-740E-4E13-9130-2F431C0928B2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.25c8bcb390cf7dc6545f3eddce262158.jpeg

Not exactly cruising weather.

Are you serious? This is a total false representation. It is like comparing Vegas and Northern California. Totally different climates in the winter. Or better still Vancouver and Prince George. Nit really sure what you are attempting to achieve by your comments.

1 minute ago, tottenhamfc said:

Are you serious? This is a total false representation. It is like comparing Vegas and Northern California. Totally different climates in the winter. Or better still Vancouver and Prince George. Nit really sure what you are attempting to achieve by your comments.

How Often it Snows in Vancouver

10-year snowfall averages in Vancouver, 2010 to 2019
  Inches Centi­metres
January 0.9 2
February 5.0 13
March 0.2 1
April 0.0 0
May 0.0 0
October 0.0 0
November 0.8 2
December 2.4 6
Year 9.3 24

Just now, LouChamp said:

The season is over. It doesn’t matter 

Not the point. Be honest or accurate when representing information. You would be surprised at how many Americans think Vancouver is as cold as Alaska. Many on my cruises think that.

34 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

28 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Not the point. Be honest or accurate when representing information. You would be surprised at how many Americans think Vancouver is as cold as Alaska. Many on my cruises think that.

We are discussing ALASKA cruises.  Try and keep up...

Before sunrise, which you will not see because of the cloud and rain, on the day after embarkation the weather will be completely different on the cruise ship than Vancouver.

Are you suggesting that it isn't possible that Vancouver (or Seattle) weather won't be cold, wet and miserable and that it won't get progressively worse the farther north you go?

Edited by Tree_skier