Cruise ships allowed to return to Canada on Nov 1.

18 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We are discussing ALASKA cruises.  Try and keep up...

Before sunrise, which you will not see because of the cloud and rain, on the day after embarkation the weather will be completely different on the cruise ship than Vancouver.

To keep this discussion on the OP's question regarding Alaska cruising in October ...  the above is the actual and factual point to consider. The other factual point is that the Pacific Northwest is a rain forest. Guess what month starts the "rainy" season? Why haven't cruise lines sailed throughout October in previous years?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k13440001-Alaska_Cruise_in_October-Alaska.html

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Now back to those cruises leaving Vancouver in November.

This is a picture I took 5 hours east of Vancouver October 23rd last year.

5E1F78F5-740E-4E13-9130-2F431C0928B2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.25c8bcb390cf7dc6545f3eddce262158.jpeg

Not exactly cruising weather.

A 5 hour drive inland puts you in the interior of the province (I'm guessing the Okanagan or Kamloops area) and the climate there is hardly comparable to Vancouver.    I do agree that November isn't exactly cruising weather though.   brrrrrr.    

I don't think the purpose of the date allowing cruise ships presumed that there would be sailings up to Alaska.   If you think it's cold in Vancouver - I can only imagine the weather and wild seas in November up north.   double brrr

1 minute ago, Djsmrs said:

A 5 hour drive inland puts you in the interior of the province (I'm guessing the Okanagan or Kamloops area) and the climate there is hardly comparable to Vancouver.    I do agree that November isn't exactly cruising weather though.   brrrrrr.    

I don't think the purpose of the date allowing cruise ships presumed that there would be sailings up to Alaska.   If you think it's cold in Vancouver - I can only imagine the weather and wild seas in November up north.   double brrr

I agree, there are going to be no sailings in November.  Any discussion about that is entirely facetious and intended to poke fun at the politicians and the announcement.  

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

To keep this discussion on the OP's question regarding Alaska cruising in October ...  the above is the actual and factual point to consider. The other factual point is that the Pacific Northwest is a rain forest. Guess what month starts the "rainy" season? Why haven't cruise lines sailed throughout October in previous years?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k13440001-Alaska_Cruise_in_October-Alaska.html

I tried the link for some reason it was dead to me. 

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I agree, there are going to be no sailings in November.  Any discussion about that is entirely facetious and intended to poke fun at the politicians and the announcement.  

Of course it gets worse as you go North. And I hate to say that October is not rainy season in Vancouver. More like November through April which is why we dont get many tourists. You should know that, you lived here!!!

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I tried the link for some reason it was dead to me. 

Shoot... still opens for me. Word for word cut&paste from two Alaskan residents answering questions to someone wanting to cruise in October

"Help! My 50th birthday is in October.... I wanted to do an Alaskan cruise. There is only one cruise line in October for it. Is this a terrible time to go?'

"October is the start of winter in Alaska. Most activities/tours will no longer be available, waters can be rough due to storms. Personally I wouldn't cruise Alaska past the first week of September."

"I live here and would not recommend a cruise in October....we don't take our boat out after mid Sept.....and even then there are days when it is too blustery, seas too high and weather just too uncomfortable to be outside. I can't imagine they could have enough fool hardy folks to fill up a cruise ship for October......"

"the key word is "fool." NCL knows many people are price sensitive but don't realize October is not really cruise season in Alaska. Money talks so they book cuz it is cheap.

Kudos to the OP for asking about it. Travel in August and celebrate early!😀"

"Thank you all for your suggestions! I will take your advice and skip October and go early!"

1 minute ago, tottenhamfc said:

Of course it gets worse as you go North. And I hate to say that October is not rainy season in Vancouver. More like November through April which is why we dont get many tourists. You should know that, you lived here!!!

October is tied with March for the 4th rainiest month of the year.  I don't know why you want to keep suggesting that it is not rainy.  It certainly isn't as rainy as Nov or Dec but you're just splitting hairs at this point.  October has a lot of crappy weather.  I know this because I lived there for 47 years.

Would anyone like to guess where this is?

Jamaica? 

Costa Rica?

maybe even Alaska?

If you're playing along, this is in Courtenay, British Columbia... on Vancouver Island.

You know... as one of those ignorant cruise bloggers once said "on that little island that doesn't mean much" when discussing Alaskan cruising and the PVSA a few months back

4 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Shoot... still opens for me. Word for word cut&paste from two Alaskan residents answering questions to someone wanting to cruise in October

"Help! My 50th birthday is in October.... I wanted to do an Alaskan cruise. There is only one cruise line in October for it. Is this a terrible time to go?'

"October is the start of winter in Alaska. Most activities/tours will no longer be available, waters can be rough due to storms. Personally I wouldn't cruise Alaska past the first week of September."

"I live here and would not recommend a cruise in October....we don't take our boat out after mid Sept.....and even then there are days when it is too blustery, seas too high and weather just too uncomfortable to be outside. I can't imagine they could have enough fool hardy folks to fill up a cruise ship for October......"

"the key word is "fool." NCL knows many people are price sensitive but don't realize October is not really cruise season in Alaska. Money talks so they book cuz it is cheap.

Kudos to the OP for asking about it. Travel in August and celebrate early!😀"

"Thank you all for your suggestions! I will take your advice and skip October and go early!"

Thanks, I went back and tried again and it worked fine.  

Good thread with lots of good info for the OP

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

If you're playing along, this is in Courtenay, British Columbia... on Vancouver Island.

You know... as one of those ignorant cruise bloggers once said "on that little island that doesn't mean much" when discussing Alaskan cruising and the PVSA a few months back

All of Vancouver Island is simply gorgeous.  I just don't think there is any way to experience it getting off a cruise ship in Victoria for 5 hours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dswallow said:

A trip on a Quantum class ship through the inside passage in a rainy season would still be an awesome trip, even if it didn't stop at a single port.

Would be really awesome when the fog horn sounds off every 30seconds at 3 in the morning...

Or when you stand out on your balcony that you just paid $1000pp and the rain is driving at you at a 45 degree angle.

Or you look out to enjoy the inside passage views and all you see is about 100ft into the fog.

Or Quantum tries to get into Dawes Glacier, but there's so much ice flow from summer thaw out into the channel that the ship just cannot sail all the way in to get into viewing site of the glacier.

Pretty awesome to think about the cost of the flight, the time taken away from another different holiday, hotel cost and other expenses that go along with that.

Would be really awesome when the fog horn sounds off every 30seconds at 3 in the morning...

Or when you stand out on your balcony that you just paid $1000pp and the rain is driving at you at a 45 degree angle.

Or you look out to enjoy the inside passage views and all you see is about 100ft into the fog.

Or Quantum tries to get into Dawes Glacier, but there's so much ice flow from summer thaw out into the channel that the ship just cannot sail all the way in to get into viewing site of the glacier.

Pretty awesome to think about the cost of the flight, the time taken away from another different holiday, hotel cost and other expenses that go along with that.

Some people can never stop complaining.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

You have zero value on this thread, so you have to resort to a comment like this.

If you have to resort to personal attacks, then perhaps you need to step back and take a timeout. There was no call for that. I happen to enjoy stormy times aboard a cruise ship, including rain, wind and fog. 

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Hi Mary,

I just get so tired of people putting down Seattle, and raving about Vancouver. Both cities are beautiful, and both have their share of issues. If people don’t want to come to Seattle, then don’t come, but keep the negativity to yourself.

We have been to Seattle and Vancouver and enjoyed both cities.   Vancouver seemed cleaner and not full of scabby homeless people camping out everywhere like Seattle.

13 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Some people can never stop complaining.

9 minutes ago, dswallow said:

If you have to resort to personal attacks, then perhaps you need to step back and take a timeout. There was no call for that. I happen to enjoy stormy times aboard a cruise ship, including rain, wind and fog. 

We're not talking about your own personal liking for cruising in rain and fog... page 1 of this thread is about having a Canadian port involved for Alaska cruises, and how a waste of time it is for people to have a Canadian port involved in any Alaskan sailing.

Ignorance, and evidently arrogance, certainly is bliss isn't it?

13 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

We're not talking about your own personal liking for cruising in rain and fog... page 1 of this thread is about having a Canadian port involved for Alaska cruises, and how a waste of time it is for people to have a Canadian port involved in any Alaskan sailing.

Ignorance, and evidently arrogance, certainly is bliss isn't it?

I guess you're just reacting as if it is personally insulting to imply or state outright a visit to a port like Victoria, BC is a complete waste of time for someone wanting an Alaska cruise, because you apparently are from BC yourself? So as a response to that you're making personal attacks against me? Again, I suggest you take a time out.

Once again you are presuming that the US decides which port stops should be used for Alaska cruises. It is the cruiselines that decide not the US Govt, residents or laws. The presumption that it is not necessary, nor that it is worthwhile is self serving for your own reasons. We could fill ships with Canadians and visitors from other countries. The only reason that it is top heavy with US citizens is because you jump the itineraries warlier than others. 

8 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Once again you are presuming that the US decides which port stops should be used for Alaska cruises. It is the cruiselines that decide not the US Govt, residents or laws. The presumption that it is not necessary, nor that it is worthwhile is self serving for your own reasons. We could fill ships with Canadians and visitors from other countries. The only reason that it is top heavy with US citizens is because you jump the itineraries warlier than others. 

I have no idea why you keep repeating this, because it's not really true. Yes, the cruise lines ultimately decide an itinerary, but they cannot have an itinerary that is illegal for them to sail, so of course laws matter, such as the antiquated PVSA in the United States. As do laws that restrict sailing in coastal waters where those waters are considered the territory of specific countries.

And frankly, no you could not fill the same number of ships with Canadians and passengers from other, non-US, countries that are currently sailing Alaska itineraries (pre-Covid, anyway). You could fill some ships, I'm sure, but nowhere near the number that can and do regularly sail those routes.

Edited by dswallow

7 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

It is the cruiselines that decide not the US Govt, residents or laws.

You apparently don't understand PVSA.  Victoria is a required the US government in order to not run a foul of US law. 

As far as there being enough Canadians to fill ships without Americans I think you are living in fantasy land.

5 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I have no idea why you keep repeating this, because it's not really true. Yes, the cruise lines ultimately decide an itinerary, but they cannot have an itinerary that is illegal for them to sail, so of course laws matter, such as the antiquated PVSA in the United States. As do laws that restrict sailing in coastal waters where those waters are considered the territory of specific countries.

And frankly, no you could not fill the same number of ships with Canadians and passengers from other, non-US, countries that are currently sailing Alaska itineraries (pre-Covid, anyway). You could fill some ships, I'm sure, but nowhere near the number that can and do regularly sail those routes.

oops you were a minute ahead of me.  You're also a much more able writer.  I should just follow you around from thread to thread, quoting your posts and say... "yeah, what he said!" 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 1