Jump to content

Reporter on Carnival's first sailing (article)


Recommended Posts

Thanks for posting.  I did notice the writer said that prior to covid, passengers could just show up at the terminal any time before 3 pm.  However, we've been choosing appointment times for years.  Other than that, the writer gave a good and balanced review.  The wearing of masks at ports will probably make me want to just stay on the ship. It's too hot for masks in the Caribbean in the summer heat.  Thankfully, I will be on the Mardi Gras and find plenty to do on the ship.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"Passengers told Insider that they cruise to disconnect and get off of their phones. For some, it was frustrating to have to rely on an app for their vacation."

 

This is what bums me the most. I am COMPLETELY absent minded and would probably lose my head if it weren't attached to my body. Add in Cheers and I can fully anticipate leaving my phone on the pool deck, at the buffet, at the gym. I dunno, maybe I would do better with a small tablet or something.

 

I am in IT and I cruise to get AWAY from technology!

 

But not a bad article. You really don't see positive cruising articles from the mainstream media.

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband carries his phone with him around the ship.  I always keep mine in the safe unless we are going on excursions.  I am glad we can use his phone because I do not like carrying mine around the ship.

 

I prefer paper copies of the Fun Times, but the App will also be handy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

My husband carries his phone with him around the ship.  I always keep mine in the safe unless we are going on excursions.  I am glad we can use his phone because I do not like carrying mine around the ship.

 

I prefer paper copies of the Fun Times, but the App will also be handy.

My DW felt the same way about carrying around her phone 📱  I said pretend it's your digital camera. She made the substitution and now we can message each other via the hub app. It works for us!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The article says "Every guest no longer had to fill out a customs form. Instead, only those who had exceeded a spending amount had to declare and fill out forms."  Anyone know what those limits are?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Customs limits for those who have not been out of the country in the previous 30 days are $400., one carton of ciggys, one bottle of liquor or wine. Excise is 10% from $400 to $1,400, then there are specific rates for each item. There are a lot of prohibited items, so read the customs website know before you go to avoid having fighter aircraft or submarine parts in your luggage.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Moviela said:

Customs limits for those who have not been out of the country in the previous 30 days are $400., one carton of ciggys, one bottle of liquor or wine. Excise is 10% from $400 to $1,400, then there are specific rates for each item. There are a lot of prohibited items, so read the customs website know before you go to avoid having fighter aircraft or submarine parts in your luggage.

There was a post I read here recently that had different (higher) initial limits ($600 pp, IIRC), so I would suggest the poster check directly with CBP just in case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

There was a post I read here recently that had different (higher) initial limits ($600 pp, IIRC), so I would suggest the poster check directly with CBP just in case.

I checked with my cousin at the Dept of State, and our boys in DC have been busy. The exemption if you are out of the country more than 48 hours, and have not been out in the past 31 days, is $800 per person. The 10% flat rate on the next $1000 has been reduced to 3% or 4% depending what it is, and where from. A family can combine the flat rate amount of $1K per person. You are allowed a carton of ciggys, or 100 cigars, and two liters of alcohol for the over 21 crowd. That said, there are a boat load of countries (mostly developing nations) with little or  no duties, many are Caribbean, South American, African, and Singapore.  Some places, many in Western Europe, have been slapped with 100% duty. 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one thing that struck me in the article was that there was no way that the 5% could be identified to make sure that they wore masks as per the rules for the unvaccinated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The one thing that struck me in the article was that there was no way that the 5% could be identified to make sure that they wore masks as per the rules for the unvaccinated.

Correct.  But this is the same as anywhere that "requests" the unvaccinated wear masks to protect others.   People will do what people will do - you just hope they will do the right thing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Correct.  But this is the same as anywhere that "requests" the unvaccinated wear masks to protect others.   People will do what people will do - you just hope they will do the right thing.  

And, at least from my observations, the percentage not wearing masks is much higher than the percentage vaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The one thing that struck me in the article was that there was no way that the 5% could be identified to make sure that they wore masks as per the rules for the unvaccinated.

Well, from a practical point, the majority of passengers not vaccinated were children too young to get vaccinated. So, if you're looking at adults, then yeah, you won't see very many. 5% of 3000 is only 150 ppl, and with most of them being young children, then how many adults do you think there were? And how easy to spot them?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

Well, from a practical point, the majority of passengers not vaccinated were children too young to get vaccinated. So, if you're looking at adults, then yeah, you won't see very many. 5% of 3000 is only 150 ppl, and with most of them being young children, then how many adults do you think there were? And how easy to spot them?


Right. Carnival even said they would choose mostly children.  So, maybe there were ten unvaccinated, negatively tested, adults on the ship somewhere.  Those few people could only get off of the ship in a bubble tour.

Edited by TNcruising02
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pe4all said:

Correct.  But this is the same as anywhere that "requests" the unvaccinated wear masks to protect others.   People will do what people will do - you just hope they will do the right thing.  

Yes, but I do see one major difference. When I go into a local grocery store or department store and the sign says according to CDC rules you do not have to wear a mask if fully vaccinated. If not vaccinated you have to wear a mask, there is no different treatment. There are not for instance aisles that only the fully vaccinated may go into. But, on a cruise ship there is supposed to be areas off limits to the unvaccinated including not being able to get off in ports except on bubble excursions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We ate the buffet that same embarkation day on Vista. It was pristine and very good! We were about the first to touch it. Vista’s chef, Raul, does a great job! 😀

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, but I do see one major difference. When I go into a local grocery store or department store and the sign says according to CDC rules you do not have to wear a mask if fully vaccinated. If not vaccinated you have to wear a mask, there is no different treatment. There are not for instance aisles that only the fully vaccinated may go into. But, on a cruise ship there is supposed to be areas off limits to the unvaccinated including not being able to get off in ports except on bubble excursions.

Correct.  The only way to enforce this while on the ship is to have some sort of wristband -lets say green for those vaccinated, red for those not. Having a visual identifier will piss some off - but at least we would know who is following the rules, and who is not. Having it on the sail and sign cards will work when getting off at a port as they will be flagged, but not while on the ship.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, pe4all said:

The only way to enforce this while on the ship is to have some sort of wristband -lets say green for those vaccinated, red for those not

I’d just as soon not see massless folks with red armbands or anything that obvious.  I’m on vacation & would not want to see Carnival EEs or other tourists playing traffic cops.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...