Alaska in October ?

Just curious. How’s cruising in October?    
Living in Vegas cold weather doesn’t bother me after 3-4 months of 100° weather.   

thanks.     

1 minute ago, mapleleaves said:

but how will that cold weather feel when it's accompanied by strong winds and heavy rain coming down sideways?  and fog so thick you can't see 50ft in front of you ?

so you’ve cruised thus time if the year?

I don’t know. That’s why Im Asking.    
I can google the weather.    

I’m trying to hear real life situations.  

2 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Alaska Cruises with October dates are rare on Royal. 

They have one the first 2 weeks oct.  that’s why I’m asking.   

33 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

Been up here in Oct.  -50F but no mosquitoes!!!!!

No mosquitos sounds good for sure Lolol. 
im sure it’ll be wet which I don’t mind.   
I’ll be honest. I’ve been before and all I really care about is relaxing on my balcony lol.  
I’ll take in the port towns this time.  Just wanna cruise.  Lol 

• Like 1

Are the prices super cheap or something? they would have to be like giving the cruise away for me to take one of those cruises to go ona cruise in that kind of weather.

Maybe you should look at going on one of those crab boats up there in that time of the year.........At least you may be dining on some going crab nightly.

Search Aleutian Ballard ship

8 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

No mosquitos sounds good for sure Lolol. 
im sure it’ll be wet which I don’t mind.   
I’ll be honest. I’ve been before and all I really care about is relaxing on my balcony lol.  
I’ll take in the port towns this time.  Just wanna cruise.  Lol 

Not sure how much time you will want to spend on your balcony. We went in August and the only time we used the balcony was to view the glacier. Fortunately, being from NJ, had lots of cold weather gear, although I did purchase ear muffs while there. It rained almost every day so a warm hooded slicker was a must. 

5 minutes ago, gerif said:

Not sure how much time you will want to spend on your balcony. We went in August and the only time we used the balcony was to view the glacier. Fortunately, being from NJ, had lots of cold weather gear, although I did purchase ear muffs while there. It rained almost every day so a warm hooded slicker was a must. 

I’ve been in sept.  Weather was beautiful.  Rained only once. 
sunny days mid 60’s days. Low40’s eve. 

so October may not be too bad for me then.    

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

rainy

Average High temperature October 11th is  38 degrees

Low temperature average is  24 degrees

24 degrees does not sound too bad ..... oh wait that's in F ° ...why don't you change to Celsius??? .water freezes at 0°c and boil's at 100°C ?🤷‍♂️

23 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

24 degrees does not sound too bad ..... oh wait that's in F ° ...why don't you change to Celsius??? .water freezes at 0°c and boil's at 100°C ?🤷‍♂️

In the USA it's degrees Fahrenheit

3 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Yeah yes it is But why is it.? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe that can be discussed on a different thread you start.   Lol.  
this is about cruising weather and Alaska life experiences in October. 

what I did notice in September. Was less ice in the waters.  

ECFF2FDE-0B72-4866-A90D-02558291BA0D.jpeg

746B7520-AD43-4AD1-9AE1-5314897EE76F.jpeg

1B2C1BF5-2A04-48DB-AB54-656F08EBA5B7.jpeg

58208395-683D-4DFF-80D4-6AFC76B45DF9.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Living in Vegas cold weather doesn’t bother me after 3-4 months of 100° weather.   

thanks.     

You will be spending almost all of your time on the ship indoors.  The weather can be atrocious.  You need to be prepared for full on winter weather.  Parka, snow pants, base layer, gloves and toque ( beanie for our American friends) need to be packed.  You may get lucky and not need them but then again it might be all you wear on every single port day.  Coming from Vegas it might be an interesting experience and you could have the time of your life.

12 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

thanks.     

I've traveled Alaska year round for business and as a tourist.  October will be cool/cold and most likely rainy.  In SE Alaska if it is not rainy it may well be foggy.  Viewing scenery will be impacted by weather.

That said, we are booked on the Oct. 8th cruise.  We live in the pacific northwest we don't mind cold and rain.  We'll be wearing down jackets layered with gore-tex rain jackets.  Shoes are waterproof, too.

I would not choose October cruising in Alaska for a first-time Alaska cruise, but if you've been to Alaska before and are looking for fewer tourists and more solitude, October may not be a bad choice.

If you're a shopper, shops run by non-locals may be closed.  Restaurants may also be closed and shore excursions may be more limited.  October 2021 port schedules show very few ships sailing in October.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PNW Traveler said:

I've traveled Alaska year round for business and as a tourist.  October will be cool/cold and most likely rainy.  In SE Alaska if it is not rainy it may well be foggy.  Viewing scenery will be impacted by weather.

That said, we are booked on the Oct. 8th cruise.  We live in the pacific northwest we don't mind cold and rain.  We'll be wearing down jackets layered with gore-tex rain jackets.  Shoes are waterproof, too.

I would not choose October cruising in Alaska for a first-time Alaska cruise, but if you've been to Alaska before and are looking for fewer tourists and more solitude, October may not be a bad choice.

If you're a shopper, shops run by non-locals may be closed.  Restaurants may also be closed and shore excursions may be more limited.  October 2021 port schedules show very few ships sailing in October.

Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.

Have cold weather gear. so that’s not an issue.  Not to worried about the shops and food.   I’ll find something local.    
I was looking at the 8th cruise as well.   Really looking for a cool relaxing trip.  Thanks  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.

Have cold weather gear. so that’s not an issue.  Not to worried about the shops and food.   I’ll find something local.    
I was looking at the 8th cruise as well.   Really looking for a cool relaxing trip.  Thanks  

7 days on the ship with lots of inviting indoor areas and beautiful scenery, I think it would be easy to enjoy one's self.  We'll be on the other side of September 21, less than 12 hours per day of daylight and losing some minutes every day.  I think you have the right outlook.  Just going in with the knowledge that the weather may be gloomy from boarding in Seattle to the cruise itself.  We just don't get the Fall warm and dry weather to the extant that Northern California does.

6 hours ago, SF Cfan said:

7 days on the ship with lots of inviting indoor areas and beautiful scenery, I think it would be easy to enjoy one's self.  We'll be on the other side of September 21, less than 12 hours per day of daylight and losing some minutes every day.  I think you have the right outlook.  Just going in with the knowledge that the weather may be gloomy from boarding in Seattle to the cruise itself.  We just don't get the Fall warm and dry weather to the extant that Northern California does.

This is my exact feelings.  Don’t mind some rain fall or cold weather. 
my ac at homes set to 68 Jan my bedroom lol. so leaving the balcony door open will be awesome.    
being a retired UPS driver walking around in the rain is old hate Lolol 

only reason why I’m looking at oct is prices aren’t too bad. Oh and double points. Lol. 

im looking at a Panama cruise too.  Also have a Caribbean out of San Juan in Jan.      

7 hours ago, PNW Traveler said:

I would not choose October cruising in Alaska for a first-time Alaska cruise, but if you've been to Alaska before and are looking for fewer tourists and more solitude, October may not be a bad choice.

100% agree! My October Alaska cruise was actually one of my favorites. Yes, it was chilly and rainy, but I don't mind that kind of weather, and it felt very calm and tranquil.

PLUS, as a bonus, I was there at the very end of the season so all of the shops had 50% off sales! Everyone got Christmas gifts from Alaska that year. 😄