Jump to content

The Daily for Friday Jul 16, 2021


Recommended Posts

thank you everyone for your advice on Choose Files. I now  can post to Fourms. I am very happy.

                                            Jim

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, irishjim said:

thank you everyone for your advice on Choose Files. I now  can post to Fourms. I am very happy.

                                            Jim

 

So glad it worked for you.  It’s the main way I post my photos 😉 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kazu said:

 

So glad it worked for you.  It’s the main way I post my photos 😉 

That's the way I do it ever since that time you helped me too.  I don't think I've ever run into any issues that way. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Looks like Marsh's Free Museum made it through all the COVID-19 stuff. That is always worth a stop for kids of all ages.

Also the kite museum. DGS is bringing his kite too. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

The weather has been lovely.

We never tire of coming to the Lake District and looking at the Lakes and Fells.

Keswick, Grasmere, Ambleside Windermere and Bowness are the main tourist area's and are always busy but we love it here.

Graham.

I am so envious of your blue skies and temperatures 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, richwmn said:


Wine of the day - Bedrock Zinfandel California Old Vine 2015

 

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Bedrock Zinfandel California Old Vine 2015
I’m finding this for around $25 a bottle.

 

Winemaker Notes

#12 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

From vines averaging over 80 years in age planted throughout the diverse state of California, this wine aims to reflect the perfume, freshness, and spice that makes Zinfandel so utterly delicious.

Critical Acclaim

WS93
Wine Spectator
Rich and supple, this is an explosion of pure, decadent fruit. Floral huckleberry and Chinese five-spice powder aromas open to layered blackberry, dark chocolate and licorice flavors that linger. Drink now through 2026.
RP90
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The reds start with the 2015 Zinfandel Old Vine, which comes from many different old-vine vineyards largely based around three farms in Sonoma planted in 1888, 1896 and 1905. In addition, there is a kitchen-sink blend of other old-vine sites as well. Peterson guesses that the average age of the material in the blend is at least 80 years. The bend is 90% Zinfandel and the rest Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Grenache, Carignan, Mataro and a few other eccentric black varieties. This delicious wine shows terrific fruit, loads of steak tartare, ground pepper, black raspberry and blackberry fruits, licorice, creosote and an Amarone-like character. It is dense, full-bodied, vibrant and energized. Drink it over the next 5-6 years if you can wait that long.

 

Not only am I a California wine bigot, I am an absolute Zinfandel fanatic.  So, talk about today's wine hitting my sweet spot.

 

The Bedrock Wine Co. is a truly outstanding producer of Zinfandel wines  Owner/winemaker Morgan Twain-Peterson is brilliant.  He also is passionate about preserving California old vine vineyards--many, if not most, of which are heavily planted to Zinfandel grapes--and, so, is a driving force in the Historic Vineyard Society.

 

Most Bedrock wines are sold direct to consumer, but a few bottles find their way to retail stores.  As @TiogaCruiser and @cat shepard indicate above, the 2015 Old Vine Zin is available from K&L Wines for $24.99.  I was really surprised that this wine was still available.

 

I have been on the Bedrock mailing list for seven or eight years and this OVZ bottling has become, pretty much, an everyday drinker for me.  I received a "Save the Date" email from them, yesterday.  Their next release will be next Tuesday.  I anticipate that the 2020 vintage of the OVZ bottling will be included in that release, and you can rest assured that I will be in for a case of it--along with a handful of other bottles.

 

The case of 2019s that I ordered last summer was delivered in December, and I am down to the last three bottles.  I'm going to have to find another "everyday drinker" to get me through to next December.  Actually, folks, don't worry about me on that account, I have it covered,  😜

 

IMG_7286.jpg.af07d1a56156f71d8d33582ad461185d.jpg

 

IMG_7287.jpg.8d5d69ea06233edc3191eaa9f7acea97.jpg

 

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning and a special thanks for all those who help support each other emotionally,  posting photos,  or encouraging keeping current with vaccines!   I appreciate you all!  
 

The  smoke is bad here too,  so on my short walks I’m wearing my good masks.  


 

We’ve visited Santiago de Compestelo but on a land trip. If you go have lunch in the Parador! 
 

 

BCF77296-D4C4-46CA-A77C-B0A690FAAF6A.jpeg

E9EB07C5-8DF5-4DF3-92CF-32CC262E6EF2.jpeg

8DF54747-70CE-4ECD-A473-70361C9EA1AF.jpeg

7ED981DC-EBAB-44CD-943D-BF166ECB7800.jpeg

18F387A2-2082-4082-B2C3-0AC376BD8200.jpeg

6FCB9A63-2DB4-431D-AAE1-55D9C62D3A58.jpeg

472CC5AE-F959-47B9-B576-E8233F489029.jpeg

87D8331E-F256-4CF0-BD8E-EB41937BD032.jpeg

43490DCB-2650-47E1-BEFD-E1725C5E2A68.jpeg

F2A08DBF-F082-49BB-B7AE-A84AD0E504B3.jpeg

EBD92BE1-AA24-4EDC-B9F2-A70D00E57BE4.jpeg

  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good afternoon everyone. I just realized I didn’t post today. Sometimes it’s noon before I remember to have breakfast. Everything quiet today but there are so many appointments to make for him and for me. Endless packages from Amazon, and it’s 94 degrees today so too hot for me to even try to go to the pool. I did make a run to Dunkin  Dounuts  for Sam and another trip in the air conditioned car to CVS for me. Sometimes I just need an excuse to get out for a while.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@grapau27If we ever get to England again, I want to take you and Pauline to lunch - you pick the spot, it'll be great.

Thanks Melanie.

It would be our pleasure to take you and Jim  to the Lake District and lunch is on us.

We live about 25 minutes from Newcastle airport.

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I don't use much fresh spinach, not a fan of snakes, but kudos to rural transit.

Funny quote.

I'll pass on fish, as usual, not being a fish person. I like Roy's meal. The drink and wine are good.

I've been to Spain on a land trip but not this port. Thanks for the pictures.

 

I'm doing better today. My eye looks and feels pretty normal. I'm staying inside as it's sunny out and sun bothers it even with sunglasses. I'll put drops in a little more frequently, but not hourly like yesterday. We're supposed to get thunderstorms later, possibly severe.  Joy. I called the light company about getting our streetlight replaced; they're busy, but I just wanted to be on the to do list.

 

@summer slope Glad you're feeling a bit better, but oh no on the new area popping up.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear Tana is having difficulties again. Prayers.

@ger_77 So sad about the smoke in the air. While we have so much rain in the East.

@grapau27 It's so nice to have those lovely sites to visit and your weather has been nice.

@garlictown Congrats on the removeable splint!

@lindaler It's scary that the fire is that close. Stay safe!

@jimgev I found out when I had shingles last year that the old vaccine was only about 50% effective (better than nothing) and lasts about 5 years. I got my old one in 2015 and then in 2020 got shingles, although I think less severe due to the prior shot. I was also on immune suppressing meds at the time. So we should all get the new more effective shots.

 

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask if need be. Oh, severe weather alert just issued for here!

 

 

 

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I don't use much fresh spinach, not a fan of snakes, but kudos to rural transit.

Funny quote.

I'll pass on fish, as usual, not being a fish person. I like Roy's meal. The drink and wine are good.

I've been to Spain on a land trip but not this port. Thanks for the pictures.

 

I'm doing better today. My eye looks and feels pretty normal. I'm staying inside as it's sunny out and sun bothers it even with sunglasses. I'll put drops in a little more frequently, but not hourly like yesterday. We're supposed to get thunderstorms later, possibly severe.  Joy. I called the light company about getting our streetlight replaced; they're busy, but I just wanted to be on the to do list.

 

@summer slope Glad you're feeling a bit better, but oh no on the new area popping up.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear Tana is having difficulties again. Prayers.

@ger_77 So sad about the smoke in the air. While we have so much rain in the East.

@grapau27 It's so nice to have those lovely sites to visit and your weather has been nice.

@garlictown Congrats on the removeable splint!

@lindaler It's scary that the fire is that close. Stay safe!

@jimgev I found out when I had shingles last year that the old vaccine was only about 50% effective (better than nothing) and lasts about 5 years. I got my old one in 2015 and then in 2020 got shingles, although I think less severe due to the prior shot. I was also on immune suppressing meds at the time. So we should all get the new more effective shots.

 

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask if need be. Oh, severe weather alert just issued for here!

 

 

 

Thank you.

Take care.

Graham.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, superoma said:

I don’t think it will make any difference this year. If all remains equal (delta or other variant not taking hold) cruising should return to pre pandemic ways.

 

4 hours ago, atexsix said:

This year's season will end before Nov. 1st. and will operate as scheduled without Canada, is the way I'm understanding it.  2022 I have no idea since there's still talk of eliminating the technical stops. 

And I understood the waiver would expire earlier if Canada lifted the ban. 
 

Adding the context was “prime minister Trudeau is hinting that he might open the border to fully vaccinated visitors by the end of august. 


That leaves several cruises in September on the books. And perhaps those folks will need a passport for a Canada service call to be added back in???

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I meant to add, new blog post from Captain Albert.

https://www.captainalbert.com/14-july-2021-ms-rotterdam-vi-revisited/

 

This was a great read.  Thanks so much for posting the link.  There are some really interesting changes to the ship and also interesting to hear of challenges faced keeping an idle ship in order.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

 

And I understood the waiver would expire earlier if Canada lifted the ban. 
 

Adding the context was “prime minister Trudeau is hinting that he might open the border to fully vaccinated visitors by the end of august. 


That leaves several cruises in September on the books. And perhaps those folks will need a passport for a Canada service call to be added back in???

 

Ah okay, I see what you mean.  I don't know actually.  We're booked for 9/4 and we have current passports, so it's not issue for me, but it would have an impact on shore excursions because of the current plan to stay in Ketchikan longer.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...