Walkie-Talkies

m8zenblue

We used them years ago to keep track of the kids. Best to buy the strongest FRS (family radio system) sets available, due to the steel of the ship blocking transmissions. Also, select a channel (of the 14 or so available) that seems to get the least usage and hope you don't use a channel that a motormouth will also use (they are all public).

With free internet on board and pretty much everyone has mobile phone, I think walkie talker will be a thing of the past.  On our last cruise, our family has over 30 people on board and we all just got internet (was not free back then) and use Whatsapp to communicate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

Question:

On my last cruise, Edge, 7/3/21, I saw quite a few folks using walkie-talkies.

Is that allowed on cruise ships ?

I have not seen walkie-talkies on a cruise ship in a number of years.  So you are saying in the very recent EDGE cruise walkie-talkies were common?  Even with hardly any kids on board?

I also have not seen walkies in a number of years.  I do recall that there were several families all on the same frequency which can be hysterical at times and annoying at others.

My wife and I brought walkie-talkies on our cruises in the 1980s and maybe 1990s, but once text messaging became prevalent, no more.  I didn't find the walkie-talkies worked very well on-board, but they were great in ports of call.  

We used them years ago before cell phones when cruising with our son when he was young.  With cell phones, really no need anymore.  And I agree 100% - they can be very, very annoying to others if no consideration is shown for those around you (which unfortunately I have seen more than once).  I only hope I was more considerate in the past when I used them occasionally.

6 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

My wife and I brought walkie-talkies on our cruises in the 1980s and maybe 1990s, but once text messaging became prevalent, no more.  I didn't find the walkie-talkies worked very well on-board, but they were great in ports of call.  

For those considering the use of FRS or GMRS radios when cruising, bear in mind that foreign nations have their own rules and regulations governing their use, and that they are often banned or require licensing. For example, in Barbados you must first acquire a license in order to operate these radios legally.

FRS and GMRS devices are designed to meet the US spectrum management standard for consumer radios and are restricted to specific frequencies.  They are not legal for use in the UK or Europe where different radio standards apply, and failure to comply with the ban in these and other countries can lead to confiscation of the radio and possible prosecution. Conversely, the UK/European PMR446 radios are not approved for use in either Canada or the US.

Also bear in mind that in some countries, the frequencies used by these units may be in use by police and other emergency services. Consequently, the misuse of these frequencies is considered a serious matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

The celebrity app has some sort of messaging feature where you can register other passengers to send messages to.   You can use the Celebrity app on the ships WIFI even if you don't have a WiFi package.

Yes, we used it on our last cruise, no problem with it and we were able to connect immediately.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

For those considering the use of FRS or GMRS radios when cruising, bear in mind that foreign nations have their own rules and regulations governing their use, and that they are often banned or require licensing. For example, in Barbados you must first acquire a license in order to operate these radios legally.

I never even thought about this.  I hope the statute of limitations has expired!!

Years ago before smart phones we used them on a Disney cruise. There were so many people using them it was almost impossible to find an open channel. That was the last time for us just use the phone now. 

No need to leave notes in the cabin where you find your travel mates or carry Walkie Talkies. This is screen shot from my Celebrity App for our upcoming cruise.  I am excited to use this app.  We have used the Princess app for years and love it.

image.png

Edited by Sam.Seattle

13 hours ago, Armac said:

Years ago before smart phones we used them on a Disney cruise. There were so many people using them it was almost impossible to find an open channel. That was the last time for us just use the phone now. 

Disney cruises had Wave Phones in cabin you can use anywhere on the ship or at the private island.  This was like 5 years ago.   They may have replaced it now with apps just like other cruise lines.

18 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

they can be very, very annoying to others if no consideration is shown for those around you

The same we often see with cell phones in restaurants. The very important person at the bar or table next to us has to share his/her conversation about how he/she is running the company. On Saturday night at 6. Really? Take it outside, please. No one hear cares about how damn important YOU think you are.

Rant over. Thanks Dreamer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

The same we often see with cell phones in restaurants. The very important person at the bar or table next to us has to share his/her conversation about how he/she is running the company. On Saturday night at 6. Really? Take it outside, please. No one hear cares about how damn important YOU think you are.

Rant over. Thanks Dreamer.

And when they retire you call them, FIP's. "Formally important people".

On one cruise I remember hearing someone get into an argument over their walkie-talkie with another person because they wouldn't stop talking and they couldn't talk to their kids. Both were very important people...in their mind.

18 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

And when they retire you call them, FIP's. "Formally important people".

On one cruise I remember hearing someone get into an argument over their walkie-talkie with another person because they wouldn't stop talking and they couldn't talk to their kids. Both were very important people...in their mind.

Right. Arguing over access on a shared access frequency. Oy.

Now we have those people who put their speaker on their cell phone so we can hear the whole damn conversation. I really don't need to hear, "And then the doctor said my spleen was the worst he's ever seen", or whatever....

In other words, Celebrity and most other LInes have Apps you can use to text; you can text via WifI and so on, and most Walkie-Talkies are very limited on metal-walled (bulkheads really!) ships and it drives everyone around nuts. 

I guess the overall answer is, No, do Not bring them.

den

Just now, K12Guy said:

Right. Arguing over access on a shared access frequency. Oy.

Now we have those people who put their speaker on their cell phone so we can hear the whole damn conversation. I really don't need to hear, "And then the doctor said my spleen was the worst he's ever seen", or whatever....

If that person’s Dr had actual Seen their spleen, they were in trouble!

den

Walkie-talkies are one of those ideas that seems ingenious on paper but quickly goes south in reality due to crowded channels and terrible range. They are like the "Europe through the Back Door" books. It was hardly "Europe through the Back Door" when everywhere you went was packed with a bunch of Americans holding Rick Steves books. 

16 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I (and everyone within 50 feet) have heard some remarkable verbal battles). I recall security speaking to a particular passenger who was shouting violent threats and cursing in a manner that about made -me- blush (and that's saying something, let me tell you).

47 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

The same we often see with cell phones in restaurants. The very important person at the bar or table next to us has to share his/her conversation about how he/she is running the company.

That makes me crazy, but even worse are the folks that watch videos or listen to music. But I digress.