Converting paper vaccine card to a smart card

MudderBear

Just came back from Aruba (not a cruise just air travel) and the traveling was horrible due to the Covid testing.  We couldn't show our vaccination card.  Now, they are changing it so that people with a SMART VACCINATION CARD can get in and out without the paper card.  So, we are set to cruise next summer and I'm wondering if the cruise lines will accept the standard paper card that most of us seniors received this past spring when we were vaccinated.  Does anyone know if it is even possible to convert that paper card to a smart card?  I have NO IDEA as my vaccination was coordinated through my county in South Carolina.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

What do you mean you couldnt show your card? They would not accept it as proof? I have a cruise oct 23. From England Final pay is aug 23.If the US is not Green by then, I may cancel.may book a Dan Francisco rt to Alaska, although the last one is sept 7

1 hour ago, lighting said:

For Californians  https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/ this is a Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record

This site is clunky at best, and many replies are incomplete or missing information.

This site relies on the original vaccinators to have submitted timely and complete records, many are not submitting or have not done so, and still varies by counties

YMMV

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, srpilo said:

This site is clunky at best, and many replies are incomplete or missing information.

This site relies on the original vaccinators to have submitted timely and complete records, many are not submitting or have not done so, and still varies by counties

I'm sorry it did not work well for you.  We had the opposite experience, it was fast and had all the required information.  We live in L.A. County...

• Like 1

Several Airlines offer their own app that creates a QR code that displays the vaccination info you've uploaded. There are a couple apps that work, but not every app works for every airline. Clear also offers a Health ID app that may or may not work for several other companies.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I'm sorry it did not work well for you.  We had the opposite experience, it was fast and had all the required information.  We live in L.A. County...

Yep.  Worked perfectly for us as well. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

Take a photo of your paper card with your smart phone.  Sounds smart to me.

2 hours ago, srpilo said:

YMMV

Yep. Doesn't work for us. I finally got a PDF copy of my Yellow Card through one site but, so far, no electronic version. 

For those in California who, like us, get the notice from that site that their information isn't found: Go ahead and do the Virtual Assistant help thing they offer. I did it and am currently waiting on results. I waited a week and called the listed phone number. I was told by the person on that line that I need to "be patient" as it will likely take 3 weeks for them to get back to me. Supposedly they will contact me eventually and, if the stars align, I will then be all set to get the QR CODE version of my vaccination info. Should this ever actually work out I will definitely post back here on CC to let folks know it can eventually work for them. Meanwhile, it won't hurt for folks to do the Virtual Assistant thing. 

Note: To work with the Virtual Assistant you will need to take a photo of your ID. I used my drivers license. It says you can also - optionally - provide a copy of your vaccination card. I did this as well.

It will be interesting to see if this "Smart Health Card" becomes some kind of standard in the USA.  Currently it is only available to folks in two States and from a few pharmacies.  The vast majority of Americans do not have the ability to get this digital card although that could certainly change.

Hank

6 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Just came back from Aruba (not a cruise just air travel) and the traveling was horrible due to the Covid testing.  We couldn't show our vaccination card.  Now, they are changing it so that people with a SMART VACCINATION CARD can get in and out without the paper card.  So, we are set to cruise next summer and I'm wondering if the cruise lines will accept the standard paper card that most of us seniors received this past spring when we were vaccinated.  Does anyone know if it is even possible to convert that paper card to a smart card?  I have NO IDEA as my vaccination was coordinated through my county in South Carolina.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

Both NCL and Princess reps have stated that showing a copy of the paper cards we received at our hospital would be sufficient. The NM Dept. of Health website shows my vaccine information, but my primary physician's office said until we gave them that information,  our records in her office weren't updated after vaccination. 

We had to upload a photo of the card, plus enter all the info: type, date, lot #, place and address/phone of administering facility in order to get our Bahamas Health Travel Visa.  We also had to show the card when checking in for our cruise in Nassau.  Airline just needed to see the visa.  EM

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yep. Doesn't work for us. I finally got a PDF copy of my Yellow Card through one site but, so far, no electronic version. 

For those in California who, like us, get the notice from that site that their information isn't found: Go ahead and do the Virtual Assistant help thing they offer. I did it and am currently waiting on results. I waited a week and called the listed phone number. I was told by the person on that line that I need to "be patient" as it will likely take 3 weeks for them to get back to me. Supposedly they will contact me eventually and, if the stars align, I will then be all set to get the QR CODE version of my vaccination info. Should this ever actually work out I will definitely post back here on CC to let folks know it can eventually work for them. Meanwhile, it won't hurt for folks to do the Virtual Assistant thing. 

Note: To work with the Virtual Assistant you will need to take a photo of your ID. I used my drivers license. It says you can also - optionally - provide a copy of your vaccination card. I did this as well.

Both Mrs Ldubs and I are in this same boat.  The Calif digital records were incomplete.  Waiting for the records to be fixed, updated, created, sprinkled with fairy dust, or whatever it is they need to do.    We are about one week into the "be patient" process.   

On 7/16/2021 at 7:54 AM, lighting said:

For Californians  https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/ this is a Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record

I did this and guess what, my 2nd shot is not on this digital record, just my first one and I got my second shot in mid Feb.  I have my original card showing both doses and prior to CA setting up this digital record, I was able to access my CA Vaccination Records online and both are listed there.  I took a hard copy for my file.  The CA website says that for Vaccination Records one must contact their County Health Dept.  So tomorrow I will be on the phone to my San Diego Health Dept. to see what I need to do to get the digital record corrected.  So don't just take a copy to your phone if you use this.  Read the info to make sure correct.  I'm not concerned for this cruise I have in Feb. but in the future I am hoping to travel internationally and since there is talk of everyone going to a digital covid vaccination passport, I don't want to be left out in the cold.  Hope no one else encounters this.

I assume we are talking about a Caribbean/Bahama cruise.  For now, today, at this time, Carnival and RCL seem satisfied with passengers presenting the original CDC "record of vaccination" card.  My interpretation of NCL's requirement is that they also will accept the CDC card (original), but don't take my word for that one.  Well, don't take my word for any of this information.

I assume that when you do on-line check-in, they will guide you on what you need to fill out, what you need to upload, and what you need to bring, regarding your vaccination.

so far Smart Vaccine Card is for California, Louisiana, Walmart, and one other store.
I did contact Aruba Vaccine Website yesterday and they sent the following:

Aruba Tourism Authority

Hello,

At the moment the entry requirements are based on vaccine only cruises coming into Aruba as a port of call. In this case a fully vaccinated cruise passenger is waived from testing and the mandatory ED card and health insurance as he/she is considered a same day traveler or 'in transit' visitor. This is for Aruba only and does not refer to the requirements for the home port or other port of calls on a cruise itinerary. We also recommend to check with the cruise line for other important details regarding your cruise as policies can also be different from cruise line to cruise line.

The support team

On 7/16/2021 at 7:54 AM, lighting said:

I'm also curious if the will accept the California digital Covid card (with QR Code).   I have both our paper certificate and the digital one.    Really would seem the digital one would be more reliable as for us the patient filled out all the information on the card with the exception for the Type of vaccine and Lot# and a hand written signature.   Both contain all the same information.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:54 AM, srpilo said:

YMMV

Sorry to hear you had difficulties.   Mine worked perfectly but it does require the site to have properly filled out the information and probably data entered it correctly.   It took me a couple tries for my daughter because I forgot what phone number we used to set up the appointment.

Sailing Celebrity Edge tomorrow.

unfortunately left vax card at home…

Tried to download app as I have a photo…

Thought about having it overnighted to FLL…

Celebrity specifically says original.

So DH ran home &is taking a later flight.

BE SURE your cruise line accepts a digital copy b4 assuming…

Bless DH for driving home (about 3 hrs RT) so I didn’t have to stress or wear a mask all week❤️

• Like 1