Itinerary change for Bahamas cruise September 18 to September 25

bayonejoe

We just entered our pcpc for the above cruise.

The port of Miami has been substituted for Bimini on September 20th. As well as switching the ports on the 21st and 22nd.

I guess these cruises are a work in progress.  Any word of this on the current cruise?

thanks

Sept 12 for us from Bimini.. Miami on our day 2..we are doing pre at ft lauderdale and 2 nights in Bimini..of course we were doing that on July 11 and were notified on July 7 that it was changing to no Bimini.. already packed for leaving when got e mail to change to Nassau… TWELVE HOURS before our flight.. trying again for sept 12… so guess we are going from FLL Florida to Bimini to Miami to Bahamas and then back to FLL.. 

I see that change in my pcpc for mid-October also. Some potential upside to a weekly stop in Miami is that the ship will have access for any Covid cases (passenger or crew) to disembark, get any new crew arrivals fully vaccinated, and also weekly fresh provisions (such as Nobu sushi?).

• Like 1

Seems strange to make this a stop vs guests getting on and off. The nightmare of going thru a face to face for each guest. What to do in Miami for six hours. Boring!

on Miami  turn around days I run errands 

Posted (edited)

Sounds like Crystal has a couple Bahamas cruises under their belt and decided to fix some things that weren't working in their view.  They continue to sell the former itineraries even though this sounds like a permanent change for R/T Nassau.  Let's hope they haven't decided to capitulate and make Miami the home port later with unvaccinated passengers accepted.  But perhaps they anticipate that NCL will prevail in the courts.

Edited by flyingshoes
  • Like 1

We are Oct 9 Nassau departure and sure enough, see that in our itinerary too. I believe this makes the 5th or 6th change for that day. Sort of begs the question why start from Nassau if they can dock in Miami.

Hubby is feeling frustrated but I bet it must feel like one of those shoot the ducks carnival games for the cruise lines to try to keep up with all the changes and do what makes sense for their bottom line. In the end, we will stick with this cruise as long as they keep it a majority of Bahamas stops (as best they can) since that was the original draw for us.

We had started planning a RC cruise just to Nassau & Coco Cay back in March but our travel advisor found this one and it seemed so much better! Hopefully things will settle down in the coming weeks (she said with little conviction).

Thank you, bayonejoe, for calling our attention to this latest news!

Karen

Actually, I think this is a smart move designed to shift the home port to Miami. The Bahamas has been very problematic. Why would anyone sail out of the Bahamas if they didn't have to?

For my July 24th cruise, I've had to register for VeriFLY, purchase a Bahamas visa and test voucher, submit to a test to check in to the hotel, take another test to board the ship, take yet another test to fly back to the United States, all the time dealing with high prices for hotels in Nassau and flights to Nassau with its crowded airport, and a country where some of the islands don't even want us to soil their shores.

All of this could be avoided by sailing out of Miami. You volunteer to show proof of vaccination and you cruise with no tests, no bureaucratic permits, and no flight problems.

Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

Sounds like Crystal has a couple Bahamas cruises under their belt and decided to fix some things that weren't working in their view.  They continue to sell the former itineraries even though this sounds like a permanent change for R/T Nassau.  Let's hope they haven't decided to capitulate and make Miami the home port later with unvaccinated passengers accepted.  But perhaps they anticipate that NCL will prevail in the courts.

I much rather leave from states but  not from Florida  now. Who knows next year. RCCL gave  in first.but to,fly to an island to come back  is stupid.

38 minutes ago, giustot said:

Actually, I think this is a smart move designed to shift the home port to Miami. The Bahamas has been very problematic. Why would anyone sail out of the Bahamas if they didn't have to?

For my July 24th cruise, I've had to register for VeriFLY, purchase a Bahamas visa and test voucher, submit to a test to check in to the hotel, take another test to board the ship, take yet another test to fly back to the United States, all the time dealing with high prices for hotels in Nassau and flights to Nassau with its crowded airport, and a country where some of the islands don't even want us to soil their shores.

All of this could be avoided by sailing out of Miami. You volunteer to show proof of vaccination and you cruise with no tests, no bureaucratic permits, and no flight problems. You do not need a test to check into hotels.where are you staying?  My hotel does not need anything from me. No biggie to take a test to get into a country or a ship. People do it daily. 
for someone with your education and job  you would still need to follow the rules when your job sends you to Europe.

Tom.

Sailing out if Florida with their govt saying we do not need to show proof of vaccine just does not work for me at this time.

• Like 4

I would assume Crystal wants to eventually sell cruises from Miami, but until the coast is clear, calling in Miami and embarking new passengers in Miami are legally two different things.  Not saying it’s not going in that direction, but they are two different steps in the meantime.

Vince

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I would assume Crystal wants to eventually sell cruises from Miami, but until the coast is clear, calling in Miami and embarking new passengers in Miami are legally two different things.  Not saying it’s not going in that direction, but they are two different steps in the meantime.

Vince

Personally I wish RCCL hadn't capitulated and that NCL prevails in court because ideologically pure Guv'ner Ron is running for President (and his second Florida term) and is not going to remove the shoe from his mouth.

• Like 3

I am on ship now. Second week. On these cruises the ports are largely irrelevant. Just enjoy the ship, the pigs and the beaches if you are a beach person 

• Like 4

I understand the points everyone is making, but why in the world would you add Miami to this itinerary if you didn’t plan to embark and disembark passengers there?

There are ways to get around the Florida vaccine rule. You make sailing without a vaccine so expensive, restrictive, and burdensome that no one would do it. 

• Like 1

The only reason I can think of is that Crystal may not have been able to get certain provisions in The Bahamas.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, giustot said:

I understand the points everyone is making, but why in the world would you add Miami to this itinerary if you didn’t plan to embark and disembark passengers there?

There are ways to get around the Florida vaccine rule. You make sailing without a vaccine so expensive, restrictive, and burdensome that no one would do it. 

I think they are stopping for fuel and food!! Probably more reliable (and cheaper!) to get those things in Miami.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, giustot said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Miami embarkations are the long-term goal, but I would be shocked if we're there by September.  Of course I've been wrong before, but I really have trouble seeing this based on where we're at now.

I've heard lots of ideas for workarounds, but many of them are far more expensive in either logistics or bad press than just moving the ship elsewhere.  NCL and RCCL already tried floating every imaginable workaround and we see where that got them.  I don't think we'll see Crystal accept FL passengers until the law is repealed (good luck with that), all the appeals are exhausted (or FL gives up) on the court cases, or some agreement is reached between cruise lines and the state to bend the law in a way that cruise lines can accept only vaccinated passengers.

I'm with Patty -- with all the issues about both bunkering and provisioning on the first cruises, this could entirely be about that until the vaccine situation changes.  

Vince

I live in NY area and was all set to book a Symphony Bermuda cruise for October. Even though I have zero travel challenges getting to embarkation, this crazy turn of events on Serenity itinerary makes me question the reliability of Crystal to deliver a reliable, stress free vacation. The continual posting and selling of false itineraries, such as NZ/OZ cruises in January is most disturbing. Maybe by January, if I can find out where Symphony will actually be sailing I will consider cruising with them again.

21 hours ago, broker1217 said:

I'm on the Sept. 25th departure and ours also changed to Miami stop on day 3.

Disappointed--we love sea days.

Hello There!  We are first time cruisers on Crystal and are on the September 25th departure.Very much looking forward to our cruise.  Sorry if this is a silly question, but where do I find those updates?

We are on the August 21 cruise from Nassau and just noticed our day 3 is now Miami with NO excursions listed.  Very disappointed.  San Salvador is no longer listed.  I'm sure there are reasons for this change and perhaps there will be some excursions listed later on, at least I hope so.  First time Crystal passenger.

28 August Cruise now has Miami on the 30th, San Salvador on the 31st and Great Exuma on 1 Sept. Since we were going to be in Great Exuma on the 31st all of the scheduled tours are now screwed up. I'm sure there is MUCH MORE to follow!

5 hours ago, gofish said:

We are on the Sept 4 cruise and i like the Miami stop better.

With 46,000 cases of COVID-19 this last week in all of Florida, I will not be surprised at all that the ship will be on lock-down in Miami with no one getting off the ship.

As an October cruiser, I am choosing to be in standby mode & won't be planning anything for at least another month so as not to make myself crazy...er. 🤯

I do wish all the best to those whose cruises are coming up in the next 3 or 4 weeks! Hope to hear how it goes for you and any excursions you find enjoyable.

Karen