Concerned & Would Like Reassurance

I am fully vaccinated for Covid 19  according to the government here in Canada.   First was Pfizer second was Moderna.  But you read so much on the news about travel headaches that could possibly be looming because some wouldn't recognize that as having 2 different qualifies as fully vaccinated.   The news has said that the government says they are working with allies to recognize those with mixed does are fully vaccinated.  I' m worried that I won't be able to cruise &  I have one booked for end of December (Baltimore to the Bhahama's)   Then a short excursion to Florida.   It's difficult finding out who recognizes what as fully vaccinated and hoped you could all reassure me.   Not looking or wanting any debate,  just those who can reassure to reassure.   Thanks so much.   Like many on here I'm desperate almost to get back on board.

I read the article linked above -- the poster is good to go if sailing on Holland America and not good to go if sailing on Norwegian.  It doesn't mention Royal Caribbean so I would probably email or call to be sure.  Could you possibly get another dose of Moderna to have two doses of same vaccine?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6302/

This story does a good job explaining. You have two mRNA vaccines- good to go. Issue is if you had one AZ and one Moderna, they are different types so no go for some cruise lines.

I'm not sure that provides any reassurance though, as it still seems the changes some cruise lines have made may be because of CDC requirements, and it's simply not yet announced by others. "Reassurance" would be some positive acknowledgement by Royal Caribbean that this specific combination is acceptable.

I agree that of any vaccine mixtures, two mRNA vaccines should be damn close and thus not an issue, anyway. But that doesn't provide someone any real reassurance. 🙂

(you'll have to manually search to find what I'm suggesting you read)
...com/2021/07/16/some-cruise-lines-will-not-allow-passengers-mixed-vaccines-sail
Some cruise lines will not allow passengers with mixed vaccines to sail | Royal Caribbean Blog

Edited by dswallow

I'm not sure that provides any reassurance though, as it still seems the changes some cruise lines have made may be because of CDC requirements, and it's simply not yet announced by others. "Reassurance" would be some positive acknowledgement by Royal Caribbean that this specific combination is acceptable.

I agree that of any vaccine mixtures, two mRNA vaccines should be damn close and thus not an issue, anyway. But that doesn't provide someone any real reassurance. 🙂

There's currently an article worth reading up at that blog site the forum owners here think is a competitor and won't permit a link to.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Maybe @Ourusualbeach can answer because he had sent in this question for one of his clients.

Several weeks ago I received reliable confirmation that mixed doses were fine.  I cannot say that now given the recent updates from other cruise lines blaming the CDC.  If it is the CDC that is behind this then I expect that Royal will have to follow suit.

Unfortunately protocols change...sometimes for the worse

Edit, I hadn't seen that Royal had also adopted the more stringent requirement that NCL did unlike the more relaxed requirements of carnival subsidiaries.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I know this is a little off topic, but I’m wondering how or why someone would end up with mixed doses. Can’t see the reasoning. 

Because the Governments of the UK, Canada and many other nations said it was acceptable.

• Like 2

Just now, HicksRA said:

Thanks. I wasn’t aware. 

It started off with giving a different second dose after a first dose oz AZ because of a slightly elevated risk for some with clotting complications from the AZ vaccine.  The Pfizer / Moderna swaps were in large part due to shortages of one vaccine.

I expect these guidelines  to change in the coming months as more studies come out.  The initial studies are very positive that mixed doses provide the same or better protection

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Canadianmama3 said:

These policies will change.  I wouldn’t stress about it right now. 

I agree 100%.  Especially if they are both MRNA.  If they haven't said that was ok yet, I bet they will soon.  They have made other missteps in the past few months that they cleared up fairly quick.

The policy has changed.   As long as you have a vaccine recognized by the FDA and/or the WHO you're good to go.

It'll all change a few more times this year though 😆

On 7/16/2021 at 5:26 PM, mauraoel said:

The FAQ changed for Royal:

image.thumb.png.2db9de70db9eb9d25a28f6d6d5aa07b3.png

Hey... it looks like it changed again... I just did this screen shot... So mixed does were an issue on the 16th..but not now? Boy things are evolving rapidly

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 3.36.39 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

Hey... it looks like it changed again... I just did this screen shot... So mixed does were an issue on the 16th..but not now? Boy things are evolving rapidly

Well that's good for our travelers from the north.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Well that's good for our travelers from the north.

If borders don't get shut again..... I wonder if someone at the cruise lines keeps a spreadsheet...so when changes occur they know which web pages and documents need to be modified... I wouldn't want that job

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kearney said:

If borders don't get shut again..... I wonder if someone at the cruise lines keeps a spreadsheet...so when changes occur they know which web pages and documents need to be modified... I wouldn't want that job

LOL My daughter-in-laws mother told my husband and I once that we needed to offer our services, while we were discussing their lacking IT dept.  They use a content management system; if they were using it correctly it would only be one change and it would promlegate to the correct locations, but I have doubts about how it is being used.

18 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

LOL My daughter-in-laws mother told my husband and I once that we needed to offer our services, while we were discussing their lacking IT dept.  They use a content management system; if they were using it correctly it would only be one change and it would promlegate to the correct locations, but I have doubts about how it is being used.

Ithink the CDC could use that.... otherwise how do you explain their guidelines for fully vaccinated differing... at one time...from guidelines for cruise ships with mostly vaccinated.. as far as social distance is concerned.... AOS has social distancing despite everyone over 12 now requiring vaccination... can't be that many kids in the Schooner bar

1 minute ago, kearney said:

Ithink the CDC could use that.... otherwise how do you explain their guidelines for fully vaccinated differing... at one time...from guidelines for cruise ships with mostly vaccinated.. as far as social distance is concerned.... AOS has social distancing despite everyone over 12 now requiring vaccination... can't be that many kids in the Schooner bar

They have one too!!!!

The bolded text may have been removed but mixed vaccines of any kind are still NOT accepted.

I may or may not have contributed to the below article.  They spoke to Royal on Monday.  The problem solely lies with the CDC who are refusing to budge on their stance.  I highly doubt I'll be cruising in October because of it.  Trudeau never should have allowed our borders to open until he fixed this mess he got us into.  Now we don't even have a bargaining chip.  It's horribly unfair to those of us who followed guidelines in Canada and did what we needed to do to protect each other.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/07/19/canadians-with-mixed-vaccine-doses-face-bans-from-cruise-ships-in-us.html

56 minutes ago, kearney said:

They removed it but it's still in affect.  Even today on twitter they were saying this.  It is "in review".  Twitter is the best place for up-to-date info from Royal I have found.  I suspect it was removed solely because they were sick of the hate mail they were receiving.

6 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

They removed it but it's still in affect.  Even today on twitter they were saying this.  It is "in review".  Twitter is the best place for up-to-date info from Royal I have found.  I suspect it was removed solely because they were sick of the hate mail they were receiving.

Well isn't that special? At least the previous version was clear... now.. it is open to interpretation and clear as mud.

• Like 2