Jump to content

Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs


Recommended Posts

We have two Alaska cruises booked for September. Paid for and checked in. I went to a vaccination centre today to try for a third dose but was told it was impossible. The BC government won’t allow it. Is that the case for all provinces?

 

We had AstraZeneca first, then Moderna. Given the rule on number of days we have two weeks to get another MRNA vaccine. We’ve already had 16 cruise cancellations and really wish we were done with this. If we could drive across the border, we could just get J&J and be good, but who knows when and how the US will open the border. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Vancouver-Cruiser said:

We have two Alaska cruises booked for September. Paid for and checked in. I went to a vaccination centre today to try for a third dose but was told it was impossible. The BC government won’t allow it. Is that the case for all provinces?

You need to take a course in critical path analysis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those wondering about the 42 day requirement in regard to the same manufacturer, and being +42 days on your 2nd dose, rest assured, it looks like you are ok.  (IE: 2 Moderna or 2 Phizer and you get your 2nd dose >42 days, you are ok)

 

For those people with mixed doses, not the best news.

 

It also looks like this link from RC was recently updated: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center

74CEFAAE-C101-4347-89DD-FEEF0BC73ADB.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Vancouver-Cruiser said:

We have two Alaska cruises booked for September. Paid for and checked in. I went to a vaccination centre today to try for a third dose but was told it was impossible. The BC government won’t allow it. Is that the case for all provinces?

 

We had AstraZeneca first, then Moderna. Given the rule on number of days we have two weeks to get another MRNA vaccine. We’ve already had 16 cruise cancellations and really wish we were done with this. If we could drive across the border, we could just get J&J and be good, but who knows when and how the US will open the border. 

A question for you. Will you be able to enter the U.S. via air? Or will you not even be allowed to enter the U.S. via air?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

A question for you. Will you be able to enter the U.S. via air? Or will you not even be allowed to enter the U.S. via air?

 

Currently the U.S. has no restrictions or extra steps for Canadians entering the U.S. by air.

We have to have a antigen test before we fly. Thats all.

There is no requirement to be vaccinated.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

A question for you. Will you be able to enter the U.S. via air? Or will you not even be allowed to enter the U.S. via air?

As stated in the previous post, we can fly. I expect the US will probably open the land border to Canadians on August 21. If not we make the short flight to Seattle.

 

I suspect one of the reasons for the delay is for them to sort out the mixed dose issue for those that cross by land. If the US decides to accept mixed dose, the cruise lines may also change their policy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

 

Currently the U.S. has no restrictions or extra steps for Canadians entering the U.S. by air.

We have to have a antigen test before we fly. Thats all.

There is no requirement to be vaccinated.

 

I asked because reading the information from Quebec it seams to suggest this third dose is for travelers visiting countries who do not accept mixed vaccinations at all for entry into their countries. It might be premature to assume this would also include companies or industries within another country that do no accept mixed vaccinations. For example, would it apply to a traveller who could fly from Montreal to New York but could not get in to see the Bruce Springsteen concert (if this had not already been changed)? Or a Quebecer who could fly to their winter home in the southern U.S., but couldn't shop at the local Piggly Wiggly  because Mr. Pig required full vaccinated status to enter the store and they did not not recognize mixed vaccines as being fully vaccinated?

 

All this talk about getting a third dose for cruising out of the U.S. might turn out to be moot. 

 

  

 

Edited by DirtyDawg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

I asked because reading the information from Quebec it seams to suggest this third dose is for travelers visiting countries who do not accept mixed vaccinations at all for entry into their countries. It might be premature to assume this would also include companies or industries within another country that do no accept mixed vaccinations. For example, would it apply to a traveller who could fly from Montreal to New York but could not get in to see the Bruce Springsteen concert (if this had not already been changed)? Or a Quebecer who could fly to their winter home in the southern U.S., but couldn't shop at the local Piggly Wiggly  because Mr. Pig required full vaccinated status to enter the store and they did not not recognize mixed vaccines as being fully vaccinated?

 

All this talk about getting a third dose for cruising out of the U.S. might be moot. 

 

  

 

The article I read about Quebec offering a third dose implied it was only for essential travel.

 

“In the meantime, certain exceptional measures are possible in Quebec to accommodate people who have an essential trip planned in the short term,” the department said.

 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/quebec-offers-extra-dose-to-travellers-whose-vaccination-status-isn-t-recognized-1.5523936

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Vancouver-Cruiser said:

Why do you feel the need to be insulting?

Insulting??  You booked and paid to cruise then went on the hunt for additional vaccine.  I'd say it was good advice for future planning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Insulting??  You booked and paid to cruise then went on the hunt for additional vaccine.  I'd say it was good advice for future planning.

Not advice. Just an insult. The cruise was booked well before the mixed dose policy was changed. And after we were vaccinated. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vancouver-Cruiser said:

We have two Alaska cruises booked for September. Paid for and checked in. I went to a vaccination centre today to try for a third dose but was told it was impossible. The BC government won’t allow it. Is that the case for all provinces?

 

We had AstraZeneca first, then Moderna. Given the rule on number of days we have two weeks to get another MRNA vaccine. We’ve already had 16 cruise cancellations and really wish we were done with this. If we could drive across the border, we could just get J&J and be good, but who knows when and how the US will open the border. 


Could you fly to the states for a one day trip, get your 3rd shot and return the same day. Same Covid test should get you in and home. Pretty crazy to think this is the alternative, but what would the agents say when you showed them your “second dose” in Canada followed by a “first/third dose” given later in the states. This might only cause more confusion, on top of the cost to do this. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:


Could you fly to the states for a one day trip, get your 3rd shot and return the same day. Same Covid test should get you in and home. Pretty crazy to think this is the alternative, but what would the agents say when you showed them your “second dose” in Canada followed by a “first/third dose” given later in the states. This might only cause more confusion, on top of the cost to do this. 

Believe it or not, I actually thought of this. I was thinking J&J, since one dose is enough. If we could find a cheap flight, that might still be worth considering. Antigen tests aren’t too expensive. I think we can even get them at YVR. And YVR is half an hour away. 
 

Hopefully other provinces will follow Quebec in allowing a third dose for certain types of travel. That would at least take away the BC argument today that a third dose could be unsafe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vancouver-Cruiser said:

Believe it or not, I actually thought of this. I was thinking J&J, since one dose is enough. If we could find a cheap flight, that might still be worth considering. Antigen tests aren’t too expensive. I think we can even get them at YVR. And YVR is half an hour away. 
 

Hopefully other provinces will follow Quebec in allowing a third dose for certain types of travel. That would at least take away the BC argument today that a third dose could be unsafe. 

 

If you fly to San Juan (SJU) you can get the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine for free at the airport.

 

Visitor Health & Safety Guidelines | Discover Puerto Rico

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Vancouver-Cruiser said:

Believe it or not, I actually thought of this. I was thinking J&J, since one dose is enough. If we could find a cheap flight, that might still be worth considering. Antigen tests aren’t too expensive. I think we can even get them at YVR. And YVR is half an hour away. 
 

Hopefully other provinces will follow Quebec in allowing a third dose for certain types of travel. That would at least take away the BC argument today that a third dose could be unsafe. 

Actually Quebec said: 'This measure is exceptional and the person should be properly counselled to be informed of the potential risks associated with this additional dose, compared to the benefits of the planned trip,”. Basically USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. 

 

You have to wonder, is any cruise worth this possible risk, or this hassle. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quebec us NOT allowing a ‘cruiser’ to get a third shot.  It is only for trips that are for business purposes or emergency. People have this confused I believe. 
cancel the cruise and cruise out of Europe😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, b_cruise said:

Quebec us NOT allowing a ‘cruiser’ to get a third shot.  It is only for trips that are for business purposes or emergency. People have this confused I believe. 
cancel the cruise and cruise out of Europe😀

 

I think not so much "confused" as "outdated".  The original news article I saw a couple of days ago (I posted a link in another thread) said that Quebec was allowing third doses for travel, period.  There was no mention of restricted circumstances.

 

The Quebec government clarified this the next day to say that it applied to those who recieved AZ / mRNA combinations only, and only for immediate, essential travel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I thought of driving over to NY from Ottawa (not a far drive) on the 21st of August if it opens. Getting Johnson & Johnson vaccine (I don't know if it's available or if I can get it just a thought right now) and coming back home same day. That would allow me to go on my September 5th. cruise on Oasis. Then I realized it's not worth the risk, will wait and see what comes of this mixed vaccine fiasco.

 

If things don't sort themselves out I will hope for refund, but even with Royal changing the rules after I made final payment don't have much hope for that.

 

If I can get refund I will spend my vacation dollars elsewhere. I have other plans I can do instead.

Rocky Mountaineer Grand Rail Circle or Apex in Greece (I think vaccine rules are different in the EU).

Edited by LouTheGlue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mabt said:

 

I think not so much "confused" as "outdated".  The original news article I saw a couple of days ago (I posted a link in another thread) said that Quebec was allowing third doses for travel, period.  There was no mention of restricted circumstances.

 

The Quebec government clarified this the next day to say that it applied to those who recieved AZ / mRNA combinations only, and only for immediate, essential travel.

 

And just to add to the general confusion, apparently the bit about this only applying to AZ / mRNA recipients was misreported:

 

"This is a corrected story. A previous version stated that Quebec was offering the extra dose only to recipients of AstraZeneca vaccine." - https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/quebec-third-dose-covid-vaccine-travel-1.6117954

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering all the extra doses folks basically say are just fine, I can't see anyone in those groups being particularly concerned about getting a third dose (say, of the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine for the sake of a one-and-done dose record) in order to be able to have a document that is accepted as saying they really are fully vaccinated by Royal Caribbean or anybody else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 6:13 PM, Tree_skier said:

Because Canadians don't pay enough in taxes already.

 

There is so much wrong in this entire post I can't even begin to unpack it with out being getting an infraction from the moderators.

Short and concise! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, b_cruise said:

Quebec us NOT allowing a ‘cruiser’ to get a third shot.  It is only for trips that are for business purposes or emergency. People have this confused I believe. 
cancel the cruise and cruise out of Europe😀

I don’t think this is actually correct as the statement on the official Quebec site just mentions travellers… now it doesn’t mention you can get it for a cruise but nor does it say you can’t… I did read someone in montreal got the 3rd shot yesterday for a cruise she has booked next month I believe. 

 

 

63A04785-41D7-47BA-944F-8E48A56EF8FE.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dswallow said:

Considering all the extra doses folks basically say are just fine, I can't see anyone in those groups being particularly concerned about getting a third dose (say, of the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine for the sake of a one-and-done dose record) in order to be able to have a document that is accepted as saying they really are fully vaccinated by Royal Caribbean or anybody else.

 

I don't think anyone is saying extra doses are "just fine".  I think most people are very aware that it's a pretty terrible idea, for multiple reasons.  They're just thinking out loud, and trying to come up with any way that they might exercise some amount of control over the situation.

 

But even if that weren't true, just "getting another dose" is outright not an option for most people who are in this situation.  In general, our governments are not just handing out third doses like candy.  (Quebec, as ever, is a bit of an exception, but even there it's only intended for essential travel.)  It might be possible, in some places, through a backdoor - if you can find a pharmacist who will do it, even thought they're not really supposed to, or if you can go into a clinic in another jurisdiction and basically lie about your vaccination status.  But there is no way to do it above-board.

 

As for J&J, while it has been approved in Canada, we don't have any.  We received one small shipment several months ago that was quarantined, ultimately found to be tainted during manufacturing, and thrown out.  There have been no further deliveries.  I suspect our procurement office put a deliberate stop on it; between the safety issues and poor efficacy, there would not have been much demand.

 

Driving to the US for a dose is not currently an option, unless you have clearance to cross anyway for essential purposes.  And the idea of hopping on a plane and flying - internationally, with all that currently entails - to San Juan, at least two weeks before your vacation, in order to get a J&J shot at the airport?  I mean, everyone draws their own lines, but I feel like that would be well across it for almost everyone.

 

Edited by mabt
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MR_T said:

I don’t think this is actually correct as the statement on the official Quebec site just mentions travellers… now it doesn’t mention you can get it for a cruise but nor does it say you can’t… I did read someone in montreal got the 3rd shot yesterday for a cruise she has booked next month I believe. 

 

Quebec government officials have been quoted as saying that it should only be done for essential travel, but I strongly doubt it's being enforced.  If you show up at a clinic and say "I need a third dose for essential travel", are they going to ask you to prove that your travel is really "essential"?  Who is qualified to judge that?

 

In practice, they're just going to give the shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mabt said:

 

Quebec government officials have been quoted as saying that it should only be done for essential travel, but I strongly doubt it's being enforced.  If you show up at a clinic and say "I need a third dose for essential travel", are they going to ask you to prove that your travel is really "essential"?  Who is qualified to judge that?

 

In practice, they're just going to give the shot.

There lies the problem... should doesn’t mean it’s an official rule just a recommendation.. we’ll thats how I read it (right or wrong) 

 

i have just returned from getting the 3rd shot and it was a breeze... I just mentioned I was there for a 3rd shot and they said no problem come this way, at no point was I asked why or when or even for what purpose... I was only asked what vaccines I’d already had and the they confirmed I’d get phizer as I was originally given AZ & PH as my first 2. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...