Jump to content

Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

NOTE: Guests who have used mixed vaccination protocols will not be considered fully vaccinated (i.e. 1 dose Pfizer + 1 dose Moderna, or 1 dose AstraZeneca + 1 dose Pfizer, etc.). To be considered fully vaccinated, a guest must have received all doses of one accepted vaccine. Otherwise, a guest will be considered unvaccinated. This is now on the RCI website 

 

What Vaccines are Accepted

 

 

 

We are booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing in July. I called RCI and they say that we will be put in the unvaccinated group since we had mixed doses. The venues on the ships will have different times when the vaccinated group or the unvaccinated group can go, so they are kept separated.  I think we would have to wear masks indoor as well being in the unvaccinated group. So that is making this cruise a lot less attractive now. We have to think about if we still want to go or not. Also RCI is giving an Antigen test on the second last day of the cruise before we get off, so we can return to Canada. But according to the Canadian Govt's website, they don't accept Antigen test. So I have no idea how we are supposed to get a PCR test somewhere in the Bahamas during the cruise, since we are getting off the cruise and flying back to Canada on the same day. So this is getting a lot more complicated now.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is ridiculous. A lot of countries are using mixed vaccines. I sincerely hope that the research finds that mixed doses are perfectly acceptable and the restrictions go away. They should be thankful that you are a fully vaccinated passenger! :classic_huh:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I don’t  want to sit with actual unvaccinated people. I am fully vaccinated according to the rules of my Health Department. People who received AZ as a first shot were advised by the HD to not get the second dose of AZ due to the death of a few people developing blood clots.  
 

I’d like to know the reason why the CDC has made this decision. As a comparison…..is the vaccine you received for tetanus 10 years ago, the same one you next receive?  What about Yellow Fever, Flu shot, pneumonia shot, etc.  Perhaps no one is truly vaccinated against anything if the formula changed!!  
 

I don’t cruise for another 16 months, let’s hope they have this figured out by then.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is crazy what they are doing. At least the people who got different doses did get vaccinated. That’s what their country told them to do. They shouldn’t be punished for this. They are way better than not being vaccinated at all. I would rather sit next to one of them unmasked than next to an unvaccinated with a mask.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Personally, I don’t  want to sit with actual unvaccinated people. I am fully vaccinated according to the rules of my Health Department. People who received AZ as a first shot were advised by the HD to not get the second dose of AZ due to the death of a few people developing blood clots.  
 

I’d like to know the reason why the CDC has made this decision. As a comparison…..is the vaccine you received for tetanus 10 years ago, the same one you next receive?  What about Yellow Fever, Flu shot, pneumonia shot, etc.  Perhaps no one is truly vaccinated against anything if the formula changed!!  
 

I don’t cruise for another 16 months, let’s hope they have this figured out by then.

 

I believe the CDC's position simply is that the mixing has not been studied at all, and thus cannot be relied on, at least until there is a study examining it and identifying the efficacy. And there seems to be some progress getting there.

Factbox - Countries Weigh 'Mix and Match' COVID-19 Vaccines | World News | US News

Mixing COVID-19 vaccines appears to boost immune responses | Science | AAAS (sciencemag.org)

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines: the case is growing, but questions remain (nature.com)

NIH clinical trial evaluating mixed COVID-19 vaccine schedules begins | National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Study about Mixing COVID-19 Vaccines (wbrc.com)

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This could be a problem for me.  The ironic thing is that I went out of my way to book an appointment just after my city recieved a large shipment of Pfizer, for this exact reason.  Still ended up with Moderna, after receiving Pfizer as a first dose.  My only other choice was to refuse and walk out, with no likelihood of getting a Pfizer shot for at least several weeks - which would have interfered with upcoming domestic travel plans.  My husband somehow lucked into a second dose of Pfizer, and my kids are only approved for Pfizer, so it's only me.  But one is enough to torpedo our vacation.  Almost everyone here between the ages of 18 and 60 is getting mixed doses, unless they happened to get Moderna as a first dose (small minority).

 

We are booked on the August 28 Adventure sailing.  For the moment I'm going to assume this will be sorted out by then, and/or that proof of vaccination that is adequate to get me into the Bahamas will also be acceptable to get me on the ship.  It would be nice to know if anyone else from Ontario has sailed with Royal, and what proof of vaccination they showed.  We can't possibly be the first.  Our final vaccination documentation here (the vaccination record issued by my local health authority, which should be considered acceptable documentation per RCL's own stated policy) just shows the manufacturer of the second dose, and that "two valid doses" were administered.  It does not explicitly list the manufacturer of the first dose or state that doses were mixed.  I do have a separate record of the first dose, but they would have to go out of their way to ask for it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Who the heck would do that??????

 

Canada, UK and Europe... Here in Germany AstraZeneca lost popularity due to several deaths connected with the vaccination. So espeacially health care workers who were amongst the first ones to get AstraZeneca got a second dose of Biontec (Pfizer) or Moderna. There was no choice for them (not until later when they opened up AstraZeneca again). We had an up and down with AstraZeneca ... first recommended for younger under 60, then only for age 60+, then another change for everyone (first on a voluntary basis). So we have a lot of people with mixed vaccinces.

 

3 hours ago, dswallow said:

 

I believe the CDC's position simply is that the mixing has not been studied at all, and thus cannot be relied on, at least until there is a study examining it and identifying the efficacy.

 

Not sure what the CDC is waiting for but there have been studies in Spain and UK which both say that the combination is even more effective than a double vaccination with the same vaccine.

 

steamboats

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gam888 said:

 

We are booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing in July. I called RCI and they say that we will be put in the unvaccinated group since we had mixed doses. The venues on the ships will have different times when the vaccinated group or the unvaccinated group can go, so they are kept separated.  I think we would have to wear masks indoor as well being in the unvaccinated group. So that is making this cruise a lot less attractive now. We have to think about if we still want to go or not. Also RCI is giving an Antigen test on the second last day of the cruise before we get off, so we can return to Canada. But according to the Canadian Govt's website, they don't accept Antigen test. So I have no idea how we are supposed to get a PCR test somewhere in the Bahamas during the cruise, since we are getting off the cruise and flying back to Canada on the same day. So this is getting a lot more complicated now.

 

 

I think the RCL rep you talked to was confused.  On Adventure there is no "unvaccinated" group (aside from children), and they don't have separate venues for vaccinated and unvaccinated - unless that has also changed.

 

Regarding departure testing, their website doesn't specify what type of test is administered, but they do specifically say that the test satisfies Canadian entry requirements.  Other posters in this forum who have been on the earlier Adventure sailings have suggested that they would administer either PCR or antigen, as required by the destination country. That would imply they have the ability to process PCR tests onboard; I'm not sure how plausible that is.

 

Bahamas website has been updated to specify that mixed doses will not qualify as fully vaccinated.  This is new.  I checked a few days ago, before I made my cruise reservation.  That might not be a deal-breaker the though, since they only require a test for entry, and RCL was requiring that anyway.

 

On the upside, Barbados has very quickly backed down from their non-acceptance of mixed doses, after the media reported on a Canadian couple who had to change their honeymoon plans because Barbados implemented a "no mixed doses" policy.  Here's hoping that the Bahamas (and cruise lines) do the same.

 

Agree that this is becoming complicated.  I at least have some time on my side, but I'm going to have to book flights very soon.  Or cancel.  We will not go if they consider mixed doses to be unvaccinated and impose additional rules.

 

Screenshot_20210717-023056.png

Edited by mabt
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Not sure what the CDC is waiting for but there have been studies in Spain and UK which both say that the combination is even more effective than a double vaccination with the same vaccine.

 

steamboats

 

This is what makes the situation so stupid.  I had absolutely no concerns about mixing mRNA doses from a scientific standpoint.  They're basically the same vaccine.  My concerns were purely political.  But I convinced myself that it wasn't likely to be an issue anywhere I wanted to go in the short term, that they would sort it out soon enough, and that getting whatever dose was on offer was the "right thing" to do to get us all out of this mess ASAP.

 

That was before the WHO woman opened her mouth and spouted a bunch of nonsense regarding mixed doses.  Guess I should have walked away and taken my chances on getting Pfizer on another day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's not only Canada but the UK and many other countries that have been mixing doses.

 

 

UK have not been mixing doses. The only instances would be those taking part in studies to see whether mixed doses are more effective. But the doses being administered to the general public are not mixed.

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

NOTE: Guests who have used mixed vaccination protocols will not be considered fully vaccinated (i.e. 1 dose Pfizer + 1 dose Moderna, or 1 dose AstraZeneca + 1 dose Pfizer, etc.). To be considered fully vaccinated, a guest must have received all doses of one accepted vaccine. Otherwise, a guest will be considered unvaccinated. This is now on the RCI website 

 

What Vaccines are Accepted

 

 

Crazy when a lot of scientists say you get as good or better efficacy with mixed vaccines and Angela Merkel,  the German chancellor had mixed vaccines, so its good enough for the leader of a major western country ....

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/28/robust-immune-response-seen-in-mix-and-match-covid-vaccine-study.html

 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bobal said:

 

UK have not been mixing doses. The only instances would be those taking part in studies to see whether mixed doses are more effective. But the doses being administered to the general public are not mixed.

My mistake, I thought it was being done as there is a large test going on there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting......I used to work at a mass vaccination clinic, and we weren't allowed to give mixed doses AT ALL by the medical leadership (unless in EXTREME cases) and we checked state records (yeah, you coulda gotten it in a different state) and stopped quite a few people.....

 

Though, they were more lenient if it was a good chunk of months between the first "other" dose and the "first" dose of the one we had.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Why complicate something so simple? Just get the correct shots…

 

1 minute ago, Kathscof said:

Very interesting......I used to work at a mass vaccination clinic, and we weren't allowed to give mixed doses AT ALL by the medical leadership (unless in EXTREME cases) and we checked state records (yeah, you coulda gotten it in a different state) and stopped quite a few people.....

 

Though, they were more lenient if it was a good chunk of months between the first "other" dose and the "first" dose of the one we had.....

This more concerns citizens of other countries whose governments allowed the mixing of vaccines for various reasons

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

 

This more concerns citizens of other countries whose governments allowed the mixing of vaccines for various reasons

Yeah, I get it.....but I wish the bosses of places (aka countries) would be able to come to the same conclusions.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kathscof said:

Yeah, I get it.....but I wish the bosses of places (aka countries) would be able to come to the same conclusions.....

I'm sure they will in time, there are many studies and trials underway with good results.  Barbados just backtracked and now allows mixed doses

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I’d like to know the reason why the CDC has made this decision. As a comparison…..is the vaccine you received for tetanus 10 years ago, the same one you next receive?  What about Yellow Fever, Flu shot, pneumonia shot, etc.  Perhaps no one is truly vaccinated against anything if the formula changed!!  

The other vaccines you mentioned have been around for MUCH longer, and there has been sufficient time to study the effects of mixing and matching with them.  With the Covid vaccine, there simply hasn't been enough time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

Never heard of that happening in the U.S.  

 

It happens more often than you think. About 2% of the time for the agency I work for. Also people getting a 3rd dose.

 

By policy, we will only give the 2nd dose of the same type, but people are free to doses from pharmacies, doctors or another county while travelling.  The info eventually makes it back to a central database at the state level and then up to the CDC, but too late to do anything by then.

Edited by Dat Cruisin Couple
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gam888 said:

 Hi Suzyluvs2cruise, could you please tell me where you saw this notice? Is it posted on the Royal Caribbean website somewhere?

 

I just saw it, it's on the RC website under the FAQs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mabt said:

 

I had absolutely no concerns about mixing mRNA doses from a scientific standpoint.  They're basically the same vaccine.

 

Not to accept the mix of Pfizer/Moderna is even more stupid. But over here and in Canada it´s AstraZenca and Pfizer/Moderna. So it´s technically two different ones. But according to all studies it´s even the better way to get immunized.

 

steamboats

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is the policy if one had bad reaction to first vaccination and Dr. writes a letter that says he does not recommend the second dose. Would he be eligible to cruise on RCCL? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...