Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes I understand that is 2 mixed doses is common in Canada, UK and other countries.

I was replying to her post as the post she responded to was saying people that had 1 pfizer then 1 moderna then get another pfizer.  I dont think that I would want to do that at this stage.

Gotcha. The government is contemplating a booster but that has yet to be confirmed. The government had preordered Pfizer, not sure about Moderna though. 

I wonder what other countries will also think about Canada delaying the second dose to months rather than weeks? My mother-in-law waited almost FOUR MONTHS between her first and second dose of Moderna in Ontario. 

3 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I wonder what other countries will also think about Canada delaying the second dose to months rather than weeks? My mother-in-law waited almost FOUR MONTHS between her first and second dose of Moderna in Ontario. 

So far, absolutely nothing.  Let's not give them any ideas.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry I thought I heard on news and other posters saying UK was giving mixed doses.

No problem.  Other posters have said it -  and they were misinformed. There are ongoing trials in the UK but we are not giving mixed doses to the general population

Incidentally the trials in the UK and other countries are showing favourable results from mixed doses  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Some other countries have also had delays between shots, to get more people covered.  In the beginning back in April it was 4 months between all doses in Canada but the time frame between doses in now 28 days here.

Many countries have taken this approach because they didn’t have the production of vaccines that America has, nor the ability to keep them for themselves. For example Canada’s Pfizer doses came from Belgium even though there is a factory in Michigan. This was Canada’s loss, for not having production but it is what it is. 

On the same note there are some in America who had their first dose months ago and have not had their follow up 3/4 weeks later by choice, even though there was no shortage of doses. Will they be full vaccinated once they get their second dose?  Only time will tell. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I was told in April when I received my first shot that I would have to wait 4 months until my second  shot. It was because of the lack of vaccine supply. But, as supply increased, the wait time decreased and I was allowed to get my second shot in June.  I happened to receive the Astra-Zeneca for the first shot , but due to the blood clot problem, was advised to received a different vaccine for the second one.  So I’m fully/not fully vaccinated…so is our Prime Minister.  I sure hope things change for the better before my Nov 2022 cruise. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry I thought I heard on news and other posters saying UK was giving mixed doses.

The uk population hadn't been given mixed disease but there has been a major study in mixing which has very promising responses in all variations.  Read the below link if you are interested in the findings 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636356

• Like 1

I am LIVID.  I have a cruise booked for October.  Final payment is MONDAY.  We have a mixture of adults in our group who have had Pfizer/Moderna.  Our TA is telling us the policy will change and pay it.  BUT if not, I won't cruise if I am not consider fully vaccinated... So we better all get our money back.  As far as I am concerned Royal should be ashamed.  We booked because they said they accepted mixed vaccines.  Now people have booked and they've changed their mind.

Canadians went out and did the right thing.  They got vaccinated at the earliest time to protect family and society.  We did what our government and health officials were telling us was perfectly safe.  And I agree with them. The science is there.  To now be penalized for getting vaccinated?  It's horrible.  It makes everyone in my family who is mixed vaccinated now feel like a failure.  We did what we were asked to do to protect others and now we can't even leave our own country.  We are being treated like the people who didn't even get vaccinated at all.  It's horribly demoralizing.   It's going to stop even more Canadians from going out and getting their second dose, afraid they'll be in the same position my family is now in.

I'm so saddened by this decision Royal has made.  Most likely because of a misquote from a WHO official.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

Again studies shows 8 to 12 weeks is the optimal time between doses for best results, especially for older people

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2021/05/covid-pfizer-vaccination-interval-antibody-response.aspx

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mabt said:

Agreed.  The problem is that we don't know when.

At the moment, all I have at stake is a refundable cruise.  But at some point very soon, I will have to book flights.  We are six weeks out, and options for Eastern Canada are both very limited and fairly expensive.  If I wait a couple of weeks, I run the risk of having even fewer and/or more expensive options.  Fully refundable fares from Canada cost (way) more than the cruise.  If I book a non-refundable fare, and have to cancel, I risk losing thousands.  My best option, both in price and flexibility, is to drive to New York and fly direct from there, but we don't even know for sure that we'll be allowed to drive across the border by late August.  That's looking positive, but by no means certain.

So, speaking only for myself, I'm perfectly calm.  But still calmly evaluating my options.  😉

I hear ya. 

14 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

I am LIVID.  I have a cruise booked for October.  Final payment is MONDAY.  We have a mixture of adults in our group who have had Pfizer/Moderna.  Our TA is telling us the policy will change and pay it.  BUT if not, I won't cruise if I am not consider fully vaccinated... So we better all get our money back.  As far as I am concerned Royal should be ashamed.  We booked because they said they accepted mixed vaccines.  Now people have booked and they've changed their mind.

Canadians went out and did the right thing.  They got vaccinated at the earliest time to protect family and society.  We did what our government and health officials were telling us was perfectly safe.  And I agree with them. The science is there.  To now be penalized for getting vaccinated?  It's horrible.  It makes everyone in my family who is mixed vaccinated now feel like a failure.  We did what we were asked to do to protect others and now we can't even leave our own country.  We are being treated like the people who didn't even get vaccinated at all.  It's horribly demoralizing.   It's going to stop even more Canadians from going out and getting their second dose, afraid they'll be in the same position my family is now in.

I'm so saddened by this decision Royal has made.  Most likely because of a misquote from a WHO official.

Our government has failed us at all levels during this pandemic. 

• Like 3

I would suggest a nicely written note to Michael Bayley expressing your opinions of the mixed vaccination policy announcement relative to what you've been told by your own governments and requesting they change the policy, or provide you a guarantee you will be considered vaccinated in your specific case, or inquire specifically what they will do for you if you make full payment and wait for a later policy change if such policy is not changed later.

mbayley@rccl.com

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I would suggest a nicely written note to Michael Bayley expressing your opinions of the mixed vaccination policy announcement relative to what you've been told by your own governments and requesting they change the policy, or provide you a guarantee you will be considered vaccinated in your specific case, or inquire specifically what they will do for you if you make full payment and wait for a later policy change if such policy is not changed later.

mbayley@rccl.com

Question, is this a RC thing or CDC thing? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Question, is this a RC thing or CDC thing? 

There hasn't been an actual announcement from the CDC like that, but at the same time the same protocols are appearing for multiple cruise lines. So it sure seems there's something more than the cruise lines making this decision, but it's not otherwise clear yet.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Is there a cruise line who has a different policy?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Who the heck would do that??????

It is becoming the better choice.

Mixing COVID-19 vaccines is emerging as a good way to get people the protection they need when faced with safety concerns and unpredictable supplies. Most vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 must be given in two doses, but multiple studies now back up the idea that mixing the Oxford–AstraZeneca jab and the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine triggers an immune response similar to — or even stronger than — two doses of either vaccine.

Results announced on Monday 1 by a UK group suggest that the combination sometimes outperforms two shots of the same vaccine, and a similar picture is emerging from German studies2,3.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dswallow said:

There hasn't been an actual announcement from the CDC like that, but at the same time the same protocols are appearing for multiple cruise lines. So it sure seems there's something more than the cruise lines making this decision, but it's not otherwise clear yet.

Several of the cruise lines have released statements that it is due to new CDC requirements.

What I don't understand is how Carnival brands are allowing mixed mrna vaccines while Royal and NCL are not.  I expect it is due to confusion in the CDC directive and that all cruise lines will be following the same protocols in the coming days...now to see which way it goes.

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

The uk population hadn't been given mixed disease but there has been a major study in mixing which has very promising responses in all variations.  Read the below link if you are interested in the findings 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636356

Thank you for sharing this link.  I find it interesting how they are finding the highest response with different combos and the order of the shots.

Happy to say I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you for sharing this link.  I find it interesting how they are finding the highest response with different combos and the order of the shots.

Happy to say I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Odd only Pfizer says a booster is needed..

CLIA needs to intervene and have a single standard for vaccines for cruise lines under their umbrella. The fragmentation of standards is only hurting the restart of cruising. They seem to be sitting on the sidelines and just collecting dues from the cruise lines they represent.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, NSnewcruiser said:

Our Canadian government along with our Provincial leaders have advised us to take whatever one we can get the quickest for our second shot no matter what our first shot was as it is safe to mix.I had a hunch it would be an issue to travel so luckily I got the same one twice. 

Fellow Nova Scotian, same here! I specifically waited for a second Pfizer so I would be matchy matchy.  I know Dr. Strang was pushing his mandate, but I knew it would be difficult for travel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cello56 said:

You only have to wait 28 days.  The four months thing was because they were trying to get more people with one dose quicker. Now that we have hit our initial target, the last month has been 28 days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dswallow said:

The CDC has stated for several months that those that have completed the complete series of  vaccines receiving EUA from the FDA or WHO will be considered to be fully vaccinated.  The problem is that the combinations have not received EUA status from either the FDA or WHO.  While there have been small studies that have looked at the combinations, there have not been clinical trials of the scope and protocol needed to be submitted to and gain authorization from either agency (the requirements for each are well defined and publicly available).

I expect that the initial US based cruises were looked at and the issue of the combinations were identified, thus the timing of the announcement.

If the CDC's CSO were to end then the CDC rules would no longer apply to cruising, but they still might apply to what the US considers to be fully vaccinated.