Luxury Bahamas Escape to MIAMI

18 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Let us all keep a level head about this.  I am cruising on this voyage on 31st July.  I am a first time Crystal Cruiser. At first, Monday was another port.  The people living in the port did not want a cruise ship so Crystal change it.  The second port did something similar.  Then Monday allowed for an over night in Bimini (Sunday) leaving early Monday morning.  Giving us a Sea Day On Monday.  Those are the facts as I can remember them.  Why did all this happen.  Root Cause, Covid-19 has the world in Flux. 

Then, due to Covid-19 concerns in Bimini, the first two (2) sailings did not go to Bimini creating a hardship for those coming on board in Bimini.  Reason for change? Root Cause Covid-19 has the world in Flux.

Now the over night in Bimini is no more.  Monday is stopping in Port of Miami.  One stop is mid-day again effect full day at that port.  Why stopping in Miami?  No clue and unwilling to guess.  Root Cause once again Covid-19.

Let us all be clear, most of us are upset because of the timeliness of the communication from Crystal.  Nobody likes change myself included.  We find out about important items on CruiseCritic.com some times hours/days before we get official correspondences.  It gives a sense of not being in control and knowing what is happening so we can make good business decisions.  

Do you REALLY think this is Crystal Cruises fault?  Do you REALLY think they are going out of their way to not communicate with us?  Do you think they want to get us upset, cancel ports, or say NO to anything a guests wants?  We all choose to cruise in the first weeks.  We knew it might be hairy.  Well, it was and will continue to be.  Let's just let things play out and stay calm.  

So you know I am not being condescending which is NOT my nature.  I have been cancelled three times so far, once less then a week prior to my cruise.  That cruise brand makes Crystal communication look like perfection.  Neither is acceptable however we need to know this is unchartered seas.  Cruise well everyone.

Well stated Gary.  When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. 
We have been on previous cruises with a day in Miami.  We rented a car and drove home which took about an hour. We may do that if we don’t fly to Nassau via Florida as we’re in Michigan now. 
That Monday is my wife’s big birthday, so I might have to find a nice downtown restaurant prior to her birthday dinner at Prego.   

😃

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not my first rodeo folks.  I am aware I am opening myself up to criticism for my point of view. Let it rip.

Very disappointed. What are we a Reddit cruise sub-directory .  They truly hate CruiseCritic and more over, the discussion of luxury cruising. Are we a group of angry home owners in a condo complex HOA meeting.  This is CruiseCritic.  I thought it was a place for intelligent debate and the hateful anonymous comments would be minimized. Where folks loved to cruise, yes debated issues yet had a appreciation for the topic.

Have all of us fully read and understood the Cruise Documents we all agreed too?  Some of us have  and other have not.  We have little or NO rights.  The cruise brands (all of them not just Crystal) can basically do and change anything they want.  What is funny is we ALL agreed to this by giving them our money.  Doesn't mean you have to like the decision your favorite brand makes.  Vote with your pocket book, it has the only power in this situation.

If anyone wants to be upset, angry and frustrated, it is our right. Just remember, each and every one of us  knew the deal and did it anyway.  I am sorry so many of us are upset.  Change is no ones best friend. Now a favor.

1. Please stop arguing with each other, it doesn't help. We have enough of that in this world right now. 
  2. Please see the best in all thinks that happen  especially when you have NO control over it. 
  3. Please play nice with each other so we can keep one social media platform some what sane.

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PM1225 said:

Well stated Gary.  When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. 
We have been on previous cruises with a day in Miami.  We rented a car and drove home which took about an hour. We may do that if we don’t fly to Nassau via Florida as we’re in Michigan now. 
That Monday is my wife’s big birthday, so I might have to find a nice downtown restaurant prior to her birthday dinner at Prego.   

😃

Happy Birthday to your wife.  What a great way to celebrate.  If every you wanted an interesting place to eat with some true flavor, Miami is the place.  I have had some of the best experiences and meals there.  You are so right, life does give us lemons sometimes.  I used to get really upset at that.  Then, one day, I had a stroke for all my anger.  It woke me up and it was a blessing.  So today I make Lemonade only without sugar, I use "Sweet n Low".  Thank you so much for understanding my thoughts. It makes a difference. 

• Like 2

I'm not thrilled about the Miami stop but I will just enjoy myself on board. 

I'm not getting worked up about any changes since I accepted that risk when I booked a cruise during a pandemic (and also hurricane season!). I have insured myself to cover any possible outcome.

Anyone who booked this cruise knowing that we are still in the midst of a pandemic, sailing from islands that are largely unvaccinated, was taking a known risk. 

There is still the risk that the entire cruise is shut down if there is a major outbreak in Nassau, and that is a  possibility with unvaccinated children visiting on other lines and with the Delta variant.

If I get to go---I will count myself lucky and enjoy wherever I end up.

If you want sure things---wait until COVID is under control wherever you want to visit. Cruising right now in the Bahamas is not for someone who is risk or change averse.

• Like 5

This is what I have listed on my PCPC itinerary as of this morning:

Sat, Jul 24 Nassau, Bahamas Embark from 12:00 PM 07:00 PM Dock 

Sun, Jul 25 Bimini, Bahamas 08:00 AM Overnight Dock

Mon, Jul 26 Bimini, Bahamas 06:00 AM Dock 

Tue, Jul 27 Great Exuma Island, Bahamas 07:00 AM 07:00 PM Tender

Wed, Jul 28 Cockburn Town, San Salvador, Bahamas 07:00 AM 07:00 PM Tender  

Thu, Jul 29 Clarence Town, Long Island, Bahamas 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Tender 

Fri, Jul 30 Cruising the Coast of Bahamas

Sat, Jul 31 Nassau, Bahamas 07:00 PM Dock

And the same for the week of 8/1-8/7

I don't know where people are seeing the Miami stop, but I liked someone's idea of having a Florida friend drive down and visit.

After the Seabourn Australia cruise to nowhere in March 2020, on which we weren't allowed to dock anywhere other than Tasmania, and we had to snag tickets back to the US at the last minute a week early and from the wrong city [and one that didn't have reasonable US flights] and were worried we would have to quarantine in California for 2 weeks, and have since had 5 cruises cancelled, I can't work up much dudgeon about putative port changes.

To be fair to Seabourn, the Australia fiasco was not their fault. They ultimately reimbursed us [with an extra percentage] for the missed days on board, paid for our hotels, a flight from Adelaide to Melbourne, ubers, and meals, and made up the difference between our bargain biz ticket back on Etihad and an outrageously expensive United ticket. We didn't have to quarantine in our port of entry to the US, and we didn't get sick.

Looking forward to getting on the Serenity on Saturday and whatever Crystal comes up with is fine with me. ALthough, if they can ensure we don't hit any hurricanes, I would be extra grateful.

Linda

• Like 5

We're on the 8/7 sailing, this is our itinerary from PCPC this AM.  Guess our sailing is the first to Miami

Sat, Aug 7 Nassau, Bahamas 07:00 PM Dock 

Sun, Aug 8 Bimini, Bahamas 08:00 AM 06:00 PM Dock

Mon, Aug 9 Miami, United States of America 08:00 AM  5:00 PM Dock 

Tue, Aug 10 Cockburn Town, San Salvador, Bahamas 01:00 PM 07:00 PM Tender

Wed, Aug 11 Great Exuma Island, Bahamas 07:00 AM 07:00 PM Tender  

Thu, Aug 12 Clarence Town, Long Island, Bahamas 07:00 AM 06:00 PM Tender 

Fri, Aug 13 Cruising the Coast of Bahamas

Sat, Aug 14 Nassau, Bahamas 06:00 AM Dock

• Thanks 1

The answer to where people are seeing the Miami stop depends on where you look.

The from today's PCPC at 11:00am

image.thumb.png.4c64e311d4823ac9447228fa4b710b79.png

This from the voyage/nassau-roundtrip-ocy210731-07 on the Crystal website also today at 11:00am

image.thumb.png.9c210a0f0ce8475f2ef79e31423e3647.png

We own a neighborhood restaurant and make sure we show on the website what we are serving each day.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, behrsmom said:

Crystal would have travel agents' heads & websites spinning like a top if they advertised anew with each itinerary change they are making. I haven't been following what other cruise lines sailing in Bahamas has been doing/changing. Has it been this chaotic?

All that said, we are looking forward to our first try at a luxury brand cruise & hope all goes well & safely for everyone traveling & posting!

As someone who has taken two cruises in Europe since February this year, I think I am able to answer your question if in other cruise lines has been this chaotic. In the cruises I have taken, it has not been chaotic at all. Well organized, good value for money, sailing at 60% capacity with all safety measures in place and most important: reliable and with the capability of offering solutions.

For example some cruises of the cruise line I have sailed with, were supposed to leave and return to Hamburg. Hamburg put on place the requirement that all passengers disembarking had to produce a PCR test. This was not possible for the cruise to arrange on board, so they changed the embarkation port to Kiel, which only required antigen tests. This change was on a short notice.  The cruise line transported the passengers from Hamburg to Kiel by bus at no additional cost to make up for that change.

I am learning a lot from the experiences that people are making at the Crystal cruises. I think Crystal is doing everything they can in order to conduct this cruises. However, I think Crystal has more limitations than other cruise lines which are sailing at the moment. Some of the limitations are due to the area where Crystal is operating at the moment. I am sure that in Europe, it would have been easier to operate than in the Bahamas. But Crystal would not have enough passengers to sail in Europe at the moment, due to travel restrictions.

One important thing I am learning, is that this year it is going to be very difficult for international guests like me, to join a Crystal ship. It has been fairly easy in Europe as a German. No stress at all. Many requirements  yes but overall smooth bookings and sailings. Even if a cruise would get cancelled on a short notice or if a COVID test would surprisingly turn out positive at the moment of embarkation, the implications would be minimal because of the proximity to home. I am afraid that if the same things would happen if I am trying to sail in the Bahamas, besides the costs, the whole experience would be too stressful. I guess a lesson learned is not to adventure too far from home as long as COVID still poses so many challenges for cruising or traveling. It is sad for me because I would love to cruise with Crystal but like some one on this thread has written before: “if life gives lemons, make lemonade” 😉

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, murphywolfe said:

We own a neighborhood restaurant and make sure we show on the website what we are serving each day.

In fairness, changing a menu is something you can do in a few minutes with one task -- it's one file on a server.

Changing an itinerary for a cruise line involves changes to dozens of tables across 6 or more systems -- some connected and some not, and have accounting and tax implications and need to be validated at each step.  That's why it can take days -- especially when you're introducing new (internal) charges for new countries that were not previously calculated.  This isn't a text edit.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 4

People are talking about what they might do on a stop in Miami but I am wondering if we will be able to leave the ship.  If Americans need an Antigen test to return to to the US and, technically, they are returning to the US, will they have to do another Antigen test to get off the ship in Miami?  Hopefully, someone will find an answer to that question.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

People are talking about what they might do on a stop in Miami but I am wondering if we will be able to leave the ship.  If Americans need an Antigen test to return to to the US and, technically, they are returning to the US, will they have to do another Antigen test to get off the ship in Miami?  Hopefully, someone will find an answer to that question.

Entering the US-- passengers only need to be tested if they are flying.  CDC requirements do not include land or Ocean.

CDC FAQ page --

All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 1

This is so weird. Just logged in and in fact Miami is listed on Day 2. In addition Exuma has been moved to a day later. I was planning an outside excursion on Aug 3 but it is now changed. And there are no excursions listed for San Salvador or Exuma now. What the heck is going on?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KarimaJ said:

This is so weird. Just logged in and in fact Miami is listed on Day 2. In addition Exuma has been moved to a day later. I was planning an outside excursion on Aug 3 but it is now changed. And there are no excursions listed for San Salvador or Exuma now. What the heck is going on?

Again:

They are in the middle of loading a change.

This is a multi-day process because many steps have dependencies.

Crystal will notify passengers of the change as soon as everything is complete, correct and verified.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 3

On 7/17/2021 at 12:55 PM, behrsmom said:

Crystal would have travel agents' heads & websites spinning like a top if they advertised anew with each itinerary change they are making. I haven't been following what other cruise lines sailing in Bahamas has been doing/changing. Has it been this chaotic?

My TA actually HAS been forwarding me each itinerary change, because they email her at the same time that they email me, apparently.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, travelberlin said:

As someone who has taken two cruises in Europe since February this year, I think I am able to answer your question if in other cruise lines has been this chaotic. ...

Ivi

Thank you for your thoughtful answer Ivi. You make some really good points. I was particularly wondering about how it is going for other cruise lines in the Bahamas. One advantage they would have over Crystal is the various private islands they own & travel to. I imagine it makes supply issues easier to control. That's my theory anyway.

Overall it just feels like upper management within Crystal & Bahamas tourism office had rose-colored glasses on when they started planning this out. I'm sure everyone was anxious to get back in business asap.

Anyway there is definitely room for improvement on Crystal's part and I can only hope and trust that will happen as the weeks go by.

Ivi, I hope you and loved ones are safe from the serious flooding we have been hearing about. And that you will soon be on a Crystal cruise. Take good care!

Karen

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

My TA actually HAS been forwarding me each itinerary change, because they email her at the same time that they email me, apparently.

Bill, same here.  Kind of funny.  I get a forward email from my TA, then shortly after one from Crystal.  On the case of Miami, I have not gotten either.  I sent my TA an email saying I already know there is a change.  She laughs at me all the time and asked, "How do you know all the changes before I do?"  I tell her, I am on CruiseCritic.com.  

With all this change.  With everything so fluid.  I still do not regret booking a cruise or this specific cruise.  My wife and I just needed a vacation to chill.  What better way to chill then Beach, Sun, Food, Drink and soon to be new friends.  

The Crystal Website not sure what you all call it, where I go to manage my booking.  That site is all mixed up right now.  I can image how hard it is to keep these changes straight.  I am quite sure it will resolve itself very soon.  Either way, "South Beach and Cuban Food", here we come.  Cruise well everyone.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Bill, same here.  Kind of funny.  I get a forward email from my TA, then shortly after one from Crystal.  On the case of Miami, I have not gotten either.  I sent my TA an email saying I already know there is a change.  She laughs at me all the time and asked, "How do you know all the changes before I do?"  I tell her, I am on CruiseCritic.com.  

With all this change.  With everything so fluid.  I still do not regret booking a cruise or this specific cruise.  My wife and I just needed a vacation to chill.  What better way to chill then Beach, Sun, Food, Drink and soon to be new friends.  

The Crystal Website not sure what you all call it, where I go to manage my booking.  That site is all mixed up right now.  I can image how hard it is to keep these changes straight.  I am quite sure it will resolve itself very soon.  Either way, "South Beach and Cuban Food", here we come.  Cruise well everyone.

Yes I too am excited to cruise even with the changes. Trying to remain flexible, been trying to plan my Exuma day but it looks like they switched days for that port ☹️. Ugh. Hopefully we get a final itinerary soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, behrsmom said:

Thank you for your thoughtful answer Ivi. You make some really good points. 

Ivi, I hope you and loved ones are safe from the serious flooding we have been hearing about. And that you will soon be on a Crystal cruise. Take good care!

Karen

You are very welcome Karen.

It is terrible what happened in Germany. I think no one can deny that this catastrophe is due to climate changes. Whole towns have been destroyed and many people have died. Also many have lost everything. It is very sad.

Neither me nor my family members were affected. We do not live in the affected areas. This is a scary situation however for everyone, because it could happen anywhere. Thanks for asking.☺️

Ivi

• Like 1

The Crystal Website is being updated as we speak.  When you go to the "Journey" icon, it shows an error message.  This indicates an update happening.  FYI only

Hold that thought on South Beach and Cuban Food Gary, at this moment the PCPC has been restored to Bimini overnight for the July 31 departure.  Could be just a glitch. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, murphywolfe said:

Hold that thought on South Beach and Cuban Food Gary, at this moment the PCPC has been restored to Bimini overnight for the July 31 departure.  Could be just a glitch. 

Yep, you are right.  Sea day sound really great and I actually would prefer it. Thank you for the heads up.  

My October PCPC is back to 2 days at Bimini but Exuma has been changed to Tuesday.  Keith had said I could get a PCR test in Exuma but if we are there on a Tuesday, it will be more than 72 hrs when I get to the airport to return.

I find it hard to believe that every Canadian passenger will stay in Nassau after disembarkation just to get a PCR test.  My travel agent is asking whether Crystal will give Canadians a PCR test but has no answers yet.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The only thing I regret about this cruise is that I could have booked their Bermuda cruise out of NYC  had I known they would be doing them, and not have to deal with the hassle and expense of flying anywhere since I am driving distance from the NYC pier (not to mention Bahamas Covid testing). But we've been to Bermuda multiple times and probably would have just stayed on the ship, and the different Bahamas ports (whatever they end up being) will be nice, and I already bought my plane tickets, so switching isn't really an option.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2