Mobility Scooter

This is my 1st cruise using my scooter. We are scheduled to go on the Jade on 9/19/21. I spoke with an excursion representative and she said she didn’t think any of the excursions were wheelchair accessible. What have others done who use scooters? I was thinking of doing private excursions, so my folded scooter could fit in the trunk. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3 hours ago, drfrog said:

The Greek Islands

A lot of the greek islands are tender stops and they have to use the local shuttles not the onboard tenders.  In my experience getting on and off is up and down steps and definitely not conducive to using a mobility scooter.

I would agree with SpainAlien's earlier post.  We went on a Greek Islands cruise a few years back on the Jade and most of the ports of call weren't scooter-friendly.  Corfu, for example, were were supposed to dock but ended up tendering when a different cruise ship "bumped" us.  As previous posters have suggested check out the port-of-calls & disabled forums also.  You'll probably get better & more up to date info in those forums.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a good cruise.

Posted (edited)

If it’s one of those portable, light weight folding scooters (the kind that is basically like a large-ish carry-on when folded) you shouldn’t have problems taking it on excursions. The NCL accessibility dept will be able to give you more specific info; https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising.

if it’s one of the full size ones you may have some difficulty.

In either case, tendering should not necessarily be a problem. IME the crew is very friendly and accommodating in regards to getting you/your scooter on the tender (thinking back, these were 3rd party tenders, might be different if they tender using lifeboats).They do it all the time, nothing new.

Of course, local accessibility varies greatly once you’re on land; some places/excursions are much more scooter/wheelchair friendly than others. 
‘Please make sure to contact NCL Accessibility if you haven’t already. It’s not a bad idea to let them know that you’re in a scooter. They seem to work pretty closely with the shore excursion dept and have some pretty great local knowledge. Also, they may allow you to board a bit earlier than the others which is nice. 

edit: just saw your mention of private excursions. Have done this in the past with a folding type scooter and it hasn’t been a problem. Just make sure the tour operator is aware and has space in the trunk. Shouldn’t need any special handicap accessible vehicle, etc. 

Edited by JamesIowa

You never know what to expect. We got a taxi in New York City and went to put a small 50 pound fold-up scooter in the trunk and he had 2 old tires in there and it wouldn't fit. We had to put one tire in the front passenger seat and the other dirty tire in the back seat with us.