Terrible Check-in So Far for the Edge

GeorgiaPeach51

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

I’m going to try this again. Several pages back I advocated for some shade, seating, and water for those in these long lines. I don’t care why they are there, because there are many reasons. As many on this post, I plan to arrive when I’m scheduled. But when I showed my Paramedic Son the pictures of those in line and in the sun, he just shook his head. Heat stroke, especially among older people can be fatal. Along with the sun, what happens if a thunderstorm hits the port? My son also asked are there Paramedics on site to handle all medical emergencies? On my previous post I got flamed by several people about my suggestion of a tent with water and seating. Of course a better approach is letting those arrive early inside the terminal in a separate area where they can wait in safety. Regardless, I and my Son believes if this situation continues, someone will become seriously ill…., or worse. The port and Celebrity must provide a better and safer environment for those in long lines. Yes I know the new rules clearly, but do people seriously think that those guest in long lines should have their health at risk . Get serious !

Don’t show up early…bring water if you think you may need it, an umbrella if you may need it..you know, be prepared..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In the past, there was no pandemic to deal with or related measures taken to protect the health and safety of passengers both prior to and after boarding. Your comments about sailing out of Miami and elsewhere aren't germane to the discussion as your experiences there pre-date the pandemic. You really need to ask yourself why these new measures are being taken as cruising restarts in 2021 and not base your opinions on historic circumstances. We all need to take responsibility in the fight against COVID-19, including cooperating with Celebrity in the revised approach to checking in.

Fouremco, great comment and point.  Pre Covid we also were able to show up anytime at the FLL terminal and check-in and board in 30 or less minutes, that all went out the window with this Pandemic.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

Just now, terrydtx said:

Fouremco, great comment and point.  Pre Covid we also were able to show up at the FLL terminal and check-in and board in 30 or less minutes, that all went out the window with this Pandemic.

Agree, he nailed it. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, runningtide said:

...Please understand my concern for the people in line. I guess many on this thread feel they deserve what they get. How damn sad !

Is there something I'm unaware of that is stopping these people from hopping into a cab and coming back in 90 minutes after a nice light lunch and refreshing cocktail somewhere close by? Because that's what I would do if I was faced with a long wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In the past, there was no pandemic to deal with or related measures taken to protect the health and safety of passengers both prior to and after boarding. Your comments about sailing out of Miami and elsewhere aren't germane to the discussion as your experiences there pre-date the pandemic. You really need to ask yourself why these new measures are being taken as cruising restarts in 2021 and not base your opinions on historic circumstances. We all need to take responsibility in the fight against COVID-19, including cooperating with Celebrity in the revised approach to checking in.

I’m done with this discussion. So called new measures do not protect people for what ever reason find themselves in line outside the terminal. I pray for their safety in spite on cruise critic reviewers. Hope you don’t find yourself in that situation in case of a software hang or procedure problem during checking. Maybe you’ll feel different .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Fouremco, great comment and point.  Pre Covid we also were able to show up anytime at the FLL terminal and check-in and board in 30 or less minutes, that all went out the window with this Pandemic.

Also to the above point, how many passengers actually even know about/ follow these boards on Cruise Critic. All of those who don’t are not seeing these conversations/pictures and will more than likely have different expectations. They will arrive directly from the airport or on  shared shuttles. They will think that there will be places to sit or lounges that are open. There will be the “I need to be first one at the bar mentality”. ( I truly think that Celebrity is not as bad with that mentality as some if the other lines)

Celebrity needs to be much clearer about their check in times in regards to telling passengers they will not be allowed into  the port building until their checkin time and to allow for weather and lack of seating. 

Just my humble opinion, but also a take from someone who has only been on Celebrity once out of Bayonne.

Edited by kelib

On 7/18/2021 at 12:41 PM, goofysmom99 said:

This thread has certainly helped me solidify plans for an upcoming Equinox departure in two weeks. 

Ruth -- is that the one that departs August 8th?  If so, we're on that one, too.  Weren't you one of the transatlantic refugees?  I thought I saw some of your posts in a Roll Call.

Vivien

1 minute ago, Jazzbo said:

Ruth -- is that the one that departs August 8th?  If so, we're on that one, too.  Weren't you one of the transatlantic refugees?  I thought I saw some of your posts in a Roll Call.

Vivien

Yes, I'm a TA refugee.  I'm on Equinox a week earlier, August 1st.  Figured I'd never again sail at a solo rate of 120% (with perks), with fully-vaccinated crew and pax, aboard a 50% occupied ship.  Couldn't say no!  🤗 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kelib said:

Also to the above point, how many passengers actually even know about/ follow these boards on Cruise Critic. All of those who don’t are not seeing these conversations/pictures and will more than likely have different expectations. They will arrive directly from the airport or on  shared shuttles. They will think that there will be places to sit or lounges that are open. There will be the “I need to be first one at the bar mentality”. ( I truly think that Celebrity is not as bad with that mentality as some if the other lines)

Celebrity needs to be much clearer about their check in times in regards to telling passengers they will not be allowed into  the port building until their checkin time and to allow for weather and lack of seating. 

Just my humble opinion, but also a take from someone who has only been on Celebrity once out of Bayonne.

As I and several others have said throughout the thread, passengers have been receiving communication directly about the new protocols, so if they're ignoring that, it's on them.  If you set out thinking everything is going to be the same as always, then you probably shouldn't be traveling.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, kelib said:

How much clearer should they need to be than this notification in the App:

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 8.30.10 AM.png

and on your Express Pass:

Boarding day: Honor your arrival time
Everyone will receive a wellness check before being cleared for boarding. Guests who arrive outside of their arrival time will be subject to a longer wait before being able to board.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

I’m done with this discussion. So called new measures do not protect people for what ever reason find themselves in line outside the terminal. I pray for their safety in spite on cruise critic reviewers. Hope you don’t find yourself in that situation in case of a software hang or procedure problem during checking. Maybe you’ll feel different .

LOL - I am a volunteer at a local Florida State Park. My assigned duty involves being at an outdoor information station for six hours.

It isn't a problem because I am prepared for the heat, humidity, potential thunderstorms and the insects.

If one is prepared (and shouldn't travelers be prepared?), there is no problem with being outside for a long period of time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - I am a volunteer at a local Florida State Park. My assigned duty involves being at an outdoor information station for six hours.

It isn't a problem because I am prepared for the heat, humidity, potential thunderstorms and the insects.

If one is prepared (and shouldn't travelers be prepared?), there is no problem with being outside for a long period of time.

I assume you are in your 60s or 70s . Must be in great physical shape .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, runningtide said:

I assume you are in your 60s or 70s . Must be in great physical shape .

So, not done with this discussion after all?  🙄

One doesn't need to be in great physical shape.  One needs a modicum of common sense and a willingness to take personal responsibility for their actions and the consequences thereof. Again, for emphasis: PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Assuming the passenger can read and is mentally competent, they know well before they travel that they are not supposed to arrive early. That they will have to wait outside. They've been amply warned. It's up to them to manage their needs, and not rely on "the kindness of strangers". There are plenty of alternatives to arriving early, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist  to figure them out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mom says said:

So, not done with this discussion after all?  🙄

One doesn't need to be in great physical shape.  One needs a modicum of common sense and a willingness to take personal responsibility for their actions and the consequences thereof. Again, for emphasis: PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Assuming the passenger can read and is mentally competent, they know well before they travel that they are not supposed to arrive early. That they will have to wait outside. They've been amply warned. It's up to them to manage their needs, and not rely on "the kindness of strangers". There are plenty of alternatives to arriving early, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist  to figure them out.

Wow….

9 hours ago, runningtide said:

As in all things cruising, “be prepared” should be your motto.  Covering the suggestions here (software has been really glitch free…following Celebrity’s instructions will minimize any procedure problem)..

1.  Follow the Celebrity check-in instructions, particularly adhering to check in times

2.  Bring water and snacks with you

3.  Bring an umbrella to shield you from sun or rain

4.  Invest in one of those small portable seats

5.  Wear a hat

The above should cover just about any eventuality, so you will be fine!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Hi

Heat kills…..

Can you inform us what preparations you take so others can do the same.

There can be big health problems when being outside in extreme heat,,,

Common causes of heat exhaustion include:[2]

There is no one size fits all remedy.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

How much clearer should they need to be than this notification in the App:

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 8.30.10 AM.png

and on your Express Pass:

Boarding day: Honor your arrival time
Everyone will receive a wellness check before being cleared for boarding. Guests who arrive outside of their arrival time will be subject to a longer wait before being able to board.

It looks like some people continue to believe this doesn't apply to them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Heat kills…..

Can you inform us what preparations you take so others can do the same.

There can be big health problems when being outside in extreme heat,,,

Common causes of heat exhaustion include:[2]

There is no one size fits all remedy.

I am in my early seventies. I am in average physical shape for people my age that haven't destroyed themselves with smoking, alcohol abuse, or recreational drug use.

I take commonsense measures for hot and humid weather - plenty of water, a hat, and find shade (readily available).

My point is, as a traveler, one must be aware of the conditions in the location to which one is traveling.

I would not travel to a cold location in the winter wearing a tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops without a coat and then complain that I have hyperthermia.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I am in my early seventies. I am in average physical shape for people my age that haven't destroyed themselves with smoking, alcohol abuse, or recreational drug use.

I take commonsense measures for hot and humid weather - plenty of water, a hat, and find shade (readily available).

My point is, as a traveler, one must be aware of the conditions in the location to which one is traveling.

I would not travel to a cold location in the winter wearing a tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops without a coat and then complain that I have hyperthermia.

It is common sense (at least I hope it is).  If you’re going to a hot climate, and you may have to wait a while in that hot climate, or cold climate, whether your 18 or 80, make plans for and prepare for that climate.  It’s really that simple.

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Would it be possible for you to post the picture that you showed your son because, obviously, it wasn't this one that was posted early on in this thread.

FLT Picture.jpeg

Just an FYI.  This is not what we encountered.  There was no long line in the shade as shown here.  There was a mass of people in the entry, which is a lot larger than it appears in this photo.  There was no clear sight to the entry doors, just a mass of people in lines like Disney, winding back snd forth and apparently crisscrossing each other.  And then another mass of people standing in the open area you see in this photo.  Just want you to not think this is what you will see, because it may be different for you.  

when we leave tomorrow I will try to take a photo from closer in.  But we have a transfer and as we did when we arrived we will go when they say and where they say.   If I can get a photo for you I will post it, in case it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many seem to suggest that Celebrity should change the check-in procedures to solve the problems, but is Celebrity really in control?  Perhaps this entire boarding process is controlled by Port Everglades and contractors hired to run the boarding process. Maybe everyone should address there concerns to the Port Everglades Port Authority.  I'm still confused why everyone can wait inside at the airport but people must wait outside at the cruise terminal. 

19 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Just an FYI.  This is not what we encountered.  There was no long line in the shade as shown here.  There was a mass of people in the entry, which is a lot larger than it appears in this photo.  There was no clear sight to the entry doors, just a mass of people in lines like Disney, winding back snd forth and apparently crisscrossing each other.  And then another mass of people standing in the open area you see in this photo.  Just want you to not think this is what you will see, because it may be different for you.  

when we leave tomorrow I will try to take a photo from closer in.  But we have a transfer and as we did when we arrived we will go when they say and where they say.   If I can get a photo for you I will post it, in case it helps.

You are correct. I got this picture from the July 3-10 Edge cruise thread. Another interesting note was that I believe all of the suites had been sold out for your Jul 17th cruise where they have yet to be sold out on any other July or August Edge cruise. Not sure if that made a difference, but the silver lining from your unfortunate negative experience is that a lot of good lessons learned have come from this thread. I for one will be wearing a hat and hanging a left as we head towards the suite glass doors entrance. 😎

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Many seem to suggest that Celebrity should change the check-in procedures to solve the problems, but is Celebrity really in control?  Perhaps this entire boarding process is controlled by Port Everglades and contractors hired to run the boarding process. Maybe everyone should address there concerns to the Port Everglades Port Authority.  I'm still confused why everyone can wait inside at the airport but people must wait outside at the cruise terminal. 

As I remember there are plenty of seats inside the terminal for people waiting to check in, perhaps the PA doesn't want large crowds inside for Covid reasons.

• Like 1

A quick update....we have had a wonderful cruise.  We sailed Edge once before and because we had an infinity balcony which we didn’t love, this experience has been more enjoyable.  But the basics are the same.  She is spotless and full of visual treats.  The entertainment has been better, in our opinion.  The band Nu Image is just great.  They are in The Club and play in the Plaza at 5 most days.  The guy they call Slim can play the keys off a saxophone and I’m not kidding.  Wow!

This was our first time in a sky suite on Edge.  A Retreat host told us the ship is at 52% capacity with suites full.  So, the Oceanview is blessedly uncrowded with empty seats galore.  Very few waits for an elevator.  No lines anywhere.  I had thought it might feel a little bit creepily uncrowded, like everyone left but you didn’t get the memo....but it wasn’t.  The Martini Bar was nice, usually easy to find a seat.  Cafe al Bacio always had seating.  So those of us blessed enough to sail now are really getting a treat as far as the usual crowds or elevator waits.  However, in fact, the ship feels so spacious we didn’t find that to be an issue on the first trip.  This is just a little more effortless.

No masks for crew or passengers.  A first for the crew, and a welcome relief, according to staff we talked with.  We have had no concerns or issues with any Celebrity covid protocols.  In fact, it has been a blessed relief to just ignore the news, the world, the fussing, the ranting, the stress that is part of our daily lives.  We have basically just hunkered down and enjoyed being together and when I say we did nothing, I am absolutely serious.  I got on the treadmill to do my mandatory five miles each day, but other than that we went to no shows, no sales, no talks, nada.  We just read and ate and threw away some money in the casino, then went back to visit it each night.  🧐🙄

if you are boarding soon you made a good decision.  The staff is THRILLED to be back and their relief to be working again touches my heart.  You have such a treat ahead of you.

in regard to my original post, and the way it was received, I guess it is like the world in general.  Some are supportive, some appreciative, some angry and full of accusations, some neutral, some adding helpful info, some adding noise.  My only goal was to help others as they boarded, standing in the sun, trying to type on my iPad, and I remain startled by some of the flak and criticism I received.  To those who were supportive or who came to my defense,  I REALLY appreciate it, because the snarky, accusatory comments bothered me and I would find myself waking at night and thinking about some of the mean comments.  I guess I am not very thick skinned.  If you are, don’t assume everyone is like you.

if you have questions I will try to respond on this last day.  As usual, internet has been less than we would all want, a consistent complaint for years.  

Joanie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1