Terrible Check-in So Far for the Edge

GeorgiaPeach51

59 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Now it is 12:40 and we are still not in the building.  A lady I just spoke with said tons of people came at 10 this morning and they could not open the doors till 11:40, so this massive backlog is due to that.  

Not buying what she’s selling.....the previous cruises had none of this nonsense.

It sounds like they put you in the general boarding line--are you certain it was the suite line?

• Like 2

Sorry for your rocky start, and for the snarky comments. It doesn’t seem very difficult to have a few benches on that sidewalk, it certainly is big enough. We sail in two weeks in a SS and have a 2:30 check in time. We will be there at 2:15 or so. Couple hours on the ship is not worth the possibility of snaking through a hot line in the sun in FL in July with no seats. We will be at Disney after the cruise——- no reason to practice waiting in line in the heat. 

Either adhere to the times for all, or provide some reasonable facilities knowing it seems everyone wants to be first for some reason. 

mac_tlc

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Probably other Suite guests.

Yeah, probably, but I wonder. Edge has a lot of suites, but geez. Anyhow, what in the world possesses someone to show up at 10 when everything indicates that Fort Lauderdale does not currently open the doors until at our near noon? The ship is giving away lunch, not gold bars. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just read a thread by EMc&DrS who described their embarkation process for their Edge cruise.  They arrived 45 minutes early and waited in line.  A rep came outside and asked for people with 12 noon check in times.  They were immediately sent to the front of the line.  Sorry that this same process did not happen for GeorgiaPeach51.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OUBaylor1 said:

Just read a thread by EMc&DrS who described their embarkation process for their Edge cruise.  They arrived 45 minutes early and waited in line.  A rep came outside and asked for people with 12 noon check in times.  They were immediately sent to the front of the line.  Sorry that this same process did not happen for GeorgiaPeach51.

Sounds like the process is working perfectly.  Hopefully the problem is limited to suite guests arriving early.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

why are the not stopping all the people that show up before their assigned time ? 

This question has been asked for decades and will probably continue to be asked for decades...

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

I feel for her also. Not up to Celebrity standards for suite passengers.

why are the not stopping all the people that show up before their assigned time ? 

I agree, but remember that the OP also arrived early and was contributing to the problem.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sounds like the process is working perfectly.  Hopefully the problem is limited to suite guests arriving early.

Except I just found the referenced thread posted today and it was associated with the Edge Jul 3-10 cruise, not this one.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Except I just found the referenced thread posted today and it was associated with the Edge Jul 3-10 cruise, not this one.

Hopefully Celebrity will return to that system soon.  I think we may be seeing that some of the policies that worked with lower capacity cruises may not work so well when the capacity increases.  Everyone needs to arrive at their assigned time.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I read the post.  You arrived before your check-in time and you're upset because people got there before you.

Sheesh, are you always so rude to people you don’t know?

No, I am NOT upset that people are ahead of me.  Give me a break.

I am simply stating the facts, to make others aware, that this boarding is different from others, and certainly different from what was reported on the previous cruises.  Your snarky comments are not needed snd add nothing.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I am simply stating the facts, to make others aware, that this boarding is different from others, and certainly different from what was reported on the previous cruises.  Your snarky comments are not needed snd add nothing.

On July 10th sailing the suite guests entered in the glass door to the left of the standing in line group 

Our time was 2:00pm, we arrived at 1:50pm and were in our cabin at 2:10pm. We were lead to the left by the baggage handler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

It sounds like they put you in the general boarding line--are you certain it was the suite line?

Good point!  In talking with other passengers there seems to have been conflicting information...one person said they were told there were many new hires and perhaps there is a gap in training.  Three people in blue shirts gave three different answers to the same question.  We made it in at the 75 minute mark, BTW.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

OP must have made it onboard shortly after her last post or she would still be ranting. 

good grief.  Ranting?  reporting the facts, trying to help future passengers.  I think I will save my internet minutes.  This is not worth the hassle.

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I agree, but remember that the OP also arrived early and was contributing to the problem.

You again?  We had a Celebrity transfer.  We got on the bus they told us to board.  They told us to get in line.  We did.  Go away.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Good point!  In talking with other passengers there seems to have been conflicting information...one person said they were told there were many new hires and perhaps there is a gap in training.  Three people in blue shirts gave three different answers to the same question.  We made it in at the 75 minute mark, BTW.

I'm glad you got on board.  It sounds like it was a mess. Folks showing up at 10 could not have helped matters. 

I recently spoke with a Retreat Concierge who advised me that we need to make sure we get the suite check-in. I've read other posts to the same effect. 

Now, put down your phone and pick up a lovely cocktail. You're on a cruise. We are not. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KKB said:

That is the question I was going to ask. This is not what was reported by Retreat passenger's on last weeks Edge cruise. This happened to us when checking in to Priority first class boarding on American Airlines two weeks ago. One AA person directed us to a line and when we got to the counter after waiting for 20 minutes, the person told us she could not check in with her since we were FC.  After we got directed to the correct line we checked in immediately.

14 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Some people’s lives are so sad they have to make themselves feel better by any way they know… it’s really sad to see such comments on these boards but I guess it says more about them vs what or whom their talking about 🙄

hope you get settled onboard and enjoy yourself 🥂😎👍🏻 

• Like 10

We could only blame Celebrity. They don't have a good coordination with the port workers.

It did happened to me also  two years ago.

The port workers guilded me to the wrong place for check in.

You should bring this up to the Retreat Concierge so this thing won't happens again.

• Like 1

This is the second "Live review"  I've read recently where the OP's honest report of disappointing experiences has been met with so many snarky comments that the OP regretted trying to share their experiences.  Very disappointing ☹️

• Like 13

I do think Celebrity and the port need to get together and do some to ease this problem - even if it just some tents and a water station.

People are going to do what they want to do, there are too many reasons/incentives to arrive early and no incentives other than courtesy to stick to the time - it has been arrive when you want to arrive for too long. Between wanting to get lunch and checkout time at most hotels, many people want to get there earlier.

Perhaps if the plan over the next months is to continue sailing with reduced capacity and staff, but with suites full, maybe they should suspend the Luminae lunch and scatter the suites out over the afternoon. They could add a lunch on one port day or other simple compensation or even nothing.

We wanted an early

check-in because enjoying the lunch is our traditional start to the cruise. I don’t think arriving 30 minutes before the scheduled time is all that unreasonable, but I would expect that waiting for the time might happen - I chose to come early.

I don’t want the lunch badly enough to wait an hour in the sun, just let me know that’s the situation, and I will adjust.

Brings up another thought, ha anyone come later than their assigned time, and what happened?

16 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Brings up another thought, ha anyone come later than their assigned time, and what happened?

I believe in one of the Edge threads a passenger who arrived an hour late for his check in time because of a flight delay had to go into the general line but still got to his cabin in a timely manor.