Jump to content

Non Suite Guests In Luminae


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, tfred said:

Other than the people paying for the inside cabin and their suite friends, I don't think that any other full fare suite pax would appreciate more people in the Retreat

 

There seems to be some accommodation for the top end suites allowing their friends to go to the Retreat.  

 

 

But they have already kicked out the zeniths, saying that they are trying to reduce crowding in the retreat. Letting in friends of the Top suites when the zeniths are denied is a real kick in the teeth

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This program was started in 2019 and I'm sure is suspended due to covid due now.   The ban on Zenith and top level Blue Chip Club members is still being stated as temporary.   Given that suites are sailing at 100% and no evidence of social distancing in the Retreat (or really anywhere on the ship) on Edge I would hope these privileges are restored soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

X (and everyone else that is running a lounge program - Marriott, Amex Centurion, Delta etc) knows how many people are getting into the lounge and the net effect on pax satisfaction for those who can get in, can't get in anymore and those not allowed.  Its the parallel to the Captains Club discussion

 

Every program changes over time and most of them are looking at ongoing revenue from a pax today - not what you have done for them in the past   

 

There should be some minimum revenue/night combination to retain Zenith and top level Blue Chip.  Every other program has some annual spend/nights to retain. Lifetime is difficult to get and it should be 

 

If I am paying for the Retreat  that would include amenities and "space".   Having other suite pax "hold the door open" for friends would be a problem for me.  That happens at every Marriott concierge lounge and it ain't pretty

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I recall pre-pandemic X offered  a limited number of non-Suite guests who were traveling with Suite guests the ability to dine in Luminae  ( I don’t  if access to Michaels was included).As I recall it was limited to 10 guests, and the high end suite guests were offered this option for those traveling with them. There was a cost, again this old brain can’t recall the amount.  It was a hot topic on CC and not something that well received by most suite  cruisers on CC.

No. Access to The Retreat/Michael's Club has never been extended to friends of suite guests with one exception. On debarkation day we have been allowed to have our non-suite friends join us in the lounge in order to accompany us for our escorted debarkation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, El Crucero said:

That has not been our experience so I guess it just depends.

It can be charged either way. Have done it both ways on multiple cruises on two different ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

No. Access to The Retreat/Michael's Club has never been extended to friends of suite guests with one exception. On debarkation day we have been allowed to have our non-suite friends join us in the lounge in order to accompany us for our escorted debarkation.

Yes agree.  We have done the same with the concierge escort.  

 

We have had family along on cruises who were not in suites like lucky us.  But on several occasions we cleared a time with the maitre' D of Luminae to have them join us for dinner.  It had to be a non-busy time (so later).  And we paid $30 pp.  Still less expensive (and better) than most Specialty dining IMO..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes agree.  We have done the same with the concierge escort.  

 

We have had family along on cruises who were not in suites like lucky us.  But on several occasions we cleared a time with the maitre' D of Luminae to have them join us for dinner.  It had to be a non-busy time (so later).  And we paid $30 pp.  Still less expensive (and better) than most Specialty dining IMO..

Yes, we always inform the maitre'd at the start of the cruise when we have non-suite companions with us and ask if it's okay for us to have them dine with us at various nights through the cruise and that we were aware of the fees. It has never been an issue at all. The only thing they asked was to give them a preferred dining time and to let them know in advance if possible if we were not going to make at that time. They then always had a table ready for us large enough to accompany us and our companions and if we showed up just the two of us they just separate the larger table down to a two seater. Now, I'm not sure if it's because each time we have been with companions in Luminae we have also been either in a Royal Suite or Penthouse that they have been very accommodating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, we always inform the maitre'd at the start of the cruise when we have non-suite companions with us and ask if it's okay for us to have them dine with us at various nights through the cruise and that we were aware of the fees. It has never been an issue at all. The only thing they asked was to give them a preferred dining time and to let them know in advance if possible if we were not going to make at that time. They then always had a table ready for us large enough to accompany us and our companions and if we showed up just the two of us they just separate the larger table down to a two seater. Now, I'm not sure if it's because each time we have been with companions in Luminae we have also been either in a Royal Suite or Penthouse that they have been very accommodating.

We have done this staying in a Sky Suite.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

 

But they have already kicked out the zeniths, saying that they are trying to reduce crowding in the retreat. Letting in friends of the Top suites when the zeniths are denied is a real kick in the teeth

 

HAL did something similar with their Club Orange concept for Suite guests in their newer ships. Club Orange is their mediocre attempt to offer an equivalent to Luminae but limited to one or two extra dinner choices over the MDR menu.  Not even close to Luminae in service and menus. Non suite passengers can opt into Club Orange for an extra fee of $35-$50pp per day charge. They also get other suite amenities like priority boarding, tender boarding and enhanced concierge service. We had been a long time HAL cruiser along with Celebrity and this Club Orange is a joke and one of the reasons our next cruise to Greece next year will be our last. Only doing that cruise for the itinerary and to use up some FCC. Celebrity has something special with their amenities for suites and I hope they never go the way of HAL and cheapen their product by allowing non suites guest to pay extra for suite benefits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

HAL did something similar with their Club Orange concept for Suite guests in their newer ships. Club Orange is their mediocre attempt to offer an equivalent to Luminae but limited to one or two extra dinner choices over the MDR menu.  Not even close to Luminae in service and menus. Non suite passengers can opt into Club Orange for an extra fee of $35-$50pp per day charge. They also get other suite amenities like priority boarding, tender boarding and enhanced concierge service. We had been a long time HAL cruiser along with Celebrity and this Club Orange is a joke and one of the reasons our next cruise to Greece next year will be our last. Only doing that cruise for the itinerary and to use up some FCC. Celebrity has something special with their amenities for suites and I hope they never go the way of HAL and cheapen their product by allowing non suites guest to pay extra for suite benefits.

HAL is trying to determine a way not to go out of business, so they are looking at all sorts of ill conceived ideas.  They are old school cruising and not in a good way

 

there is no reason for X to dilute the suite experience by allowing the DYKWIA crowd into The Retreat or Luminae

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tfred said:

HAL is trying to determine a way not to go out of business, so they are looking at all sorts of ill conceived ideas.  They are old school cruising and not in a good way

 

there is no reason for X to dilute the suite experience by allowing the DYKWIA crowd into The Retreat or Luminae

I agree, HAL.s demographics get older and older and they are unable to attract new customers under 70 in age. As their older customers die off they will go out of business unless they make drastic changes. My DW and I are 71 and feel too young for HAL.  It is pretty sad when in Aqua class you get way more amenities than in a HAL suite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our last sailing on HAL was in 2008 on the Eurodam. Brand new ship, at the time. We were in a suite.
First night dining in the Pinnacle….chandelier dropped on the empty table next to us. 

Dinners were always cold. Doors at many stations were held together with rope.  
There were so many more problems, but it was a long time ago
It was worst cruise we ever took. When we wrote them with our concerns, their attitude was… too bad.

Never sailed with them again!

That’s how to resolve the problem.

sheila

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tfred said:

HAL is trying to determine a way not to go out of business, so they are looking at all sorts of ill conceived ideas.  They are old school cruising and not in a good way

 

there is no reason for X to dilute the suite experience by allowing the DYKWIA crowd into The Retreat or Luminae

Never heard the DYKWIA phrase before but LOVE IT!

Plenty of them on every ship and aircraft I’ve ever been on.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DYKWIA! That’s great. Had a pilot in my squadron who early one more than once uttered the phrase “My Father, the Captain” as if that saw suppose to actually mean something. As flyers, we gave each other ‘call signs’ to use as shorthand airborne and usually you got one for doing something really dumb…..this guy became ‘MiFTiC’ - My Father the Captain. 

 

I once just sat next to the Guest Relations Desk and listened to this woman yell at the poor attendant, ‘Do You Realize Who I Am!’ The Attendant gave her the phone to talk to whoever and she yelled the same…….I wanted to explain to her very clearly What She Was!!

 

den

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Never heard the DYKWIA phrase before but LOVE IT!

Plenty of them on every ship and aircraft I’ve ever been on.

You’ve only to go stand by an airline lounge such as Virgin Clubhouse at Heathrow or the BA business / first lounges to hear the DYKWIAs wailing at staff to get special treatment and be let into the lounge without the proper credentials (i.e. a business or first class ticket or top tier status).

 

We’ve sailed HAL twice (actually our first cruise), and we like them for their strong focus on live music in their entertainment. However, it tickled me to no end on a couple of nights each cruise, the chic night or HAL’s equivalent, to see the very long procession of their top tier loyalty guests, Zimmer frames, walking sticks and all ceremoniously walking (or limping) through the ship to the MDR with their giant medallions and their worn out formal wear. Biggest bunch of DYKWIAs you’ve ever seen. Very important.

 

Now my hubby is in his 80s, but nothing like some of the HAL crowd 😉

Edited by Bretty
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Bretty said:

……….Now my hubby is in his 80s, but nothing like some of the HAL crowd 😉

So much of it is attitude! And I bet having a wife in her early 40’s helps!!

 

den

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

So much of it is attitude! And I bet having a wife in her early 40’s helps!!

 

den

Or in his case a husband 😎

But yes, attitude is everything.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bretty said:

Or in his case a husband 😎

But yes, attitude is everything.

Great, and one of these days, I’ll start using 21century words and work myself out of the 50’s! “And I bet having a spouse who is in their early 40’s helps!”. 

 

Being dyslexic or just waaaay to quick on the keyboard, i read ‘Betty’ instead of Bretty….Ha!  

 

Den

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, been there and done it with HAL. Only sailed in Neptune or Pinnacle Suites for nearly 30 cruises.  No comparison to what Celebrity offers in their Suites.  Sailed in Royal Suites way back when Celebrity only included a Butler.  Now spoiled with only the PS on Celebrity.  I can’t imagine even going back to the HAL suite with the only perk being breakfast in the Neptune lounge (before the Club Orange which seems to be nothing) and free laundry.  
 

I do remember some fine meals and great wine stewards in the HAL of years ago, but not the HAL of today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

DYKWIA! That’s great.

I once just sat next to the Guest Relations Desk and listened to this woman yell at the poor attendant, ‘Do You Realize Who I Am!’ The Attendant gave her the phone to talk to whoever and she yelled the same…….I wanted to explain to her very clearly What She Was!!

 

den

Happened to us on our 2nd  cruise.  We were waiting to talk to someone, probably Guest Relations and a very entitled person started screaming at an employee about why wasn't he invited to the Captains Table.  As fate would have it, we were invited and kept running into him at every turn. I wouldn't say we were smug but ....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Great, and one of these days, I’ll start using 21century words and work myself out of the 50’s! “And I bet having a spouse who is in their early 40’s helps!”. 

 

Being dyslexic or just waaaay to quick on the keyboard, i read ‘Betty’ instead of Bretty….Ha!  

 

Den

Don't worry about it. I haven't worn a dress in years 😉🤣 but I'm flattered you think I'm in my 40s!!

All good 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I agree, HAL.s demographics get older and older and they are unable to attract new customers under 70 in age. As their older customers die off they will go out of business unless they make drastic changes. My DW and I are 71 and feel too young for HAL.  It is pretty sad when in Aqua class you get way more amenities than in a HAL suite.

Plenty of younger customers on at least their Alaska cruises in the past.  Also the older population in the US and EU is living longer and there will likely be a cruise customer base for HAL.   Not worried about their going out of business IMO.  I have not sailed HAL so cannot comment on their amenities relative to other lines and suites.  But they can always change what they offer I agree.

Edited by TeeRick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Plenty of younger customers on at least their Alaska cruises in the past.  Also the older population in the US and EU is living longer and there will likely be a cruise customer base for HAL.   Not worried about their going out of business IMO.  I have not sailed HAL so cannot comment on their amenities relative to other lines and suites.  But they can always change what they offer I agree.

 

Our one experience on HAL wasn't very good.  We do have a cruise booked with them in December but on their newest ship, that we may or may not actually do but thought we should give them another chance.

 

Their suites really aren't anything to get excited about though.  Even on the newest ships the Neptune Suites, which outside of the one Pinnacle suite, are the "top" end on HAL would compare only to a Sky Suite on Celebrity.  And the lack of perks as compared to X is significant.  For some that would matter, for others not. 

Edited by Gracie115
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

 

Our one experience on HAL wasn't very good.  We do have a cruise booked with them in December but on their newest ship, that we may or may not actually do but thought we should give them another chance.

 

Their suites really aren't anything to get excited about though.  Even on the newest ships the Neptune Suites, which outside of the one Pinnacle suite, are the "top" end on HAL would compare only to a Sky Suite on Celebrity.  And the lack of perks as compared to X is significant.  For some that would matter, for others not. 

We have booked HAL Signature Suites in past and on next year's cruise. In size and cost they are about the same as a Celebrity Sky Suite,  but that is where the comparison ends. Nothing close to X in amenities at all. No special dining rooms, priority boarding, private deck or lounges like X Suites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...