Looks like CDC will maintain control over cruise ships sailing out of US ports

Just now, Jordanyaya1 said:

Be careful what you wish for. This is seeding power to the CDC, which I remind you is headed up by political appointees. Might be well and good for now but what about the future regardless of what party is in power. 

Federal agencies of all kinds have always had the power to regulate. This is nothing new.  There will also always be challenges to that power, but it will never go away entirely.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jordanyaya1 said:

Be careful what you wish for. This is seeding power to the CDC, which I remind you is headed up by political appointees. Might be well and good for now but what about the future regardless of what party is in power. 

Assuming you meant ceding power to the CDC. Hasn't that power  been mandated all along? Do you want it stripped of its regulatory abilities? You'd be happy to live in a country with no public health oversight of what comes into the country?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nocl said:

The judge forgot to mention that they have never done so, because we have never had a pandemic of this kind since the laws were written that gave CDC the authority.  For that matter since the CDC was formed in 1946 and the only comparable pandemic was in 1918 there is good reason why this is the first case.

Irrelevent

22 hours ago, Jordanyaya1 said:

And yet the CDC position doesn't seem to have changed despite  switch from a Republican head to a Democratic one.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cricketts said:

I'm so confused 😞

What are the rules or guidelines? 

I sure hope they don't start canceling cruises again!!

Everything is fine. No worries. Cruising has started back up and Celebrity is in tune with the CDC guidelines. So IMHO whatever happens with this lawsuit, Celebrity is in a good position to continue on! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This stay allows all cruise lines out of FL to implement the 95% vaccine rule without interference. It most likely even allows 100% vaccination cruises. The cruise lines have put in such onerous rules, all valid, for non vaccinated passengers that only the most fool hardy adult would now go. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Others may disagree but, based on what I've seen in cruise related news stories, (e.g. statements from Richard Fain and Frank Del Rio in particular) the cruise lines essentially seem to be speaking in a unified voice that they would greatly prefer to be able to sail with 100% (or close to it) vaccinated passengers and crew. I am sure none of them want to be the next Ruby Princess....not very good for their business.  They appear to view the CDC standards as measures that help them protect their interests rather than opposing them as onerous and preventing them from functioning.  Arguments that the cruise lines need to be "free" of all federal government regulations while imposing ones at the state level that may jeopardize their future by requiring them to sail with unvaccinated passengers seems counter-productive to the interests of the cruise lines. If some lines want to be totally "open"  to any/all passengers, so be it.  And, allow others to sail as they see fit such as requiring vaccinations and other precautions.  Then, allow the market to decide.

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jordanyaya1 said:

First of all, it's spelled ceding.  And we do need a health authority in this country, as it's become readily apparent in the last year and a half that there are people who are willing to turn a pandemic into a political issue.  Public health should never be politicized.  

As a health care worker, I've frankly had enough of it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Another win for centralized govt and another loss for personal freedoms and business.  No way the SCOTUS upholds this stay and this sets a horrible precedent for future "emergencies", real or exagerated.

• Haha 2

On 7/18/2021 at 9:57 AM, donandmelissa said:

Be careful for what you wish for.   It is all Skittles and Rainbows when you agree with what they do. The CDC issuing recommendations?  I am all for it. The unelected members of the CDC having the power to essentially shut down a multibillion dollar industry?  That should cause all of us to be concerned. Today it is vaccines and masks. What happens when they say you have to quarantine for 14 days after disembarking?  Given the events of the last 17 months, that is not beyond the realm of possibility.  By the way, the appellate court has not yet released its opinions on this matter, just a short one pager staying the Temporary Restraining Order against the CDC while the matter is being appealed.  It is too soon to make any meaningful prediction on how this will be resolved.

Congress delegated those powers to the CDC and Congress could take those powers away.

as with all federal agencies and their rules and regulations.

don’t like what the CDC does!  Talk to your Congressional representative 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrCoachRentz said:

Another win for centralized govt and another loss for personal freedoms and business.  No way the SCOTUS upholds this stay and this sets a horrible precedent for future "emergencies", real or exagerated.

No way is John Roberts getting involved in this disaster until there has been a full trial on the merits … say, two or three years from now.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Everything is fine. No worries. Cruising has started back up and Celebrity is in tune with the CDC guidelines. So IMHO whatever happens with this lawsuit, Celebrity is in a good position to continue on! 😎

Good point.  None of this legal posturing has ended up making a hill of beans worth of difference.  Cruise lines will mandate their protocols.  Try to throw up a road block in doing so (as in FL)?  The cruise lines will find a way around it.  Of all of them, Celebrity seems to have found the winning procedures to sail safely with vaccine requirements in place so they can continue to do so, regardless of where they’re sailing from.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 6:43 AM, blueboro said:

Does CDC have any enforcement power?  Or just give directives.  Just asking.

At least in this case, the CDC doesn't need enforcement power.

The cruise lines want to enforce this rule. By and large, prospective passengers want these directives enforced.

The Guv'ner wants to ride this issue.

• Like 1

From Florida's brief to the US Supreme Court:

But cruise ships do not need the CDC for motivation to provide a safe space for passengers. They have sufficient business interest to do so. By the same token, passengers do not need the CDC to tell them when a cruise ship is safe to board. Over 400,000 passengers have sailed abroad on cruise ships since July 2020 with lower rates of COVID-19 than on land.

Consumers will vote with their vacation $$$.  If they don't find the cruise line's precautions to be sufficient, they won't cruise on that line.  While Florida law won't let the cruise lines require a vaccine passport, cruise lines can set a baseline of precautions and then lift or relax them from people who are vaccinated (COVID tests, masks for the unvaccinated, etc.).  Many are already doing just that.  By the way, the 3 judge panel that vacated the 11th Circuit's original ruling included a judge appointed by President Obama and another appointed by President Clinton. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, donandmelissa said:

From Florida's brief to the US Supreme Court:

But cruise ships do not need the CDC for motivation to provide a safe space for passengers. They have sufficient business interest to do so. By the same token, passengers do not need the CDC to tell them when a cruise ship is safe to board. Over 400,000 passengers have sailed abroad on cruise ships since July 2020 with lower rates of COVID-19 than on land.

Consumers will vote with their vacation $$$.  If they don't find the cruise line's precautions to be sufficient, they won't cruise on that line.  While Florida law won't let the cruise lines require a vaccine passport, cruise lines can set a baseline of precautions and then lift or relax them from people who are vaccinated (COVID tests, masks for the unvaccinated, etc.).  Many are already doing just that.  By the way, the 3 judge panel that vacated the 11th Circuit's original ruling included a judge appointed by President Obama and another appointed by President Clinton. 

But Celebrity will still be able to require at least 95% of their passengers to be vaccinated. Correct? 

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But Celebrity will still be able to require at least 95% of their passengers to be vaccinated. Correct? 

I hope so and that they will continue to make it very unappealing for the unvaccinated to cruise from Florida with protocols that include masking, shore excursion restrictions, segregation in bars and dining rooms and extra testing costs. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2021 at 3:18 PM, cricketts said:

I'm so confused 😞

What are the rules or guidelines? 

I sure hope they don't start canceling cruises again!!

I was just about to post the same question.  With cases increasing substantially in the US, I'm not sure I want to make final payment in a few weeks...and will my 10 night cruise still be allowed in a few months time, and should I cancel my air while I still can, and are we even taking a (big) chance cruising at all if vaccinations and all that goes with it aren't mandated (despite the dictate of Florida political say-so?).  If there's this much back and forth here on CC, what is going on with the people who make these decisions?  I was more comfortable a few months ago with Nov. cruise and thought surely this would all be in the rear view (somewhat cloudy) mirror.  Are we back to square 2, moving quickly to square 1?

Edited by Oceangoer2

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I hope so and that they will continue to make it very unappealing for the unvaccinated to cruise from Florida with protocols that include masking, shore excursion restrictions, segregation in bars and dining rooms and extra testing costs. 

... and possibly wearing the wristband as mentioned in the thread covering the current Edge cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That seems to be a gray area right now but no indications of Celebrity changing course. They will almost undoubtedly continue to follow the CSO guidance, especially with the masking requirements the CDC came back with.

The first hearing on the NCL vs. Florida case concerning vaccine documentation is scheduled for August 6th (unless that has changed recently) and will also having some bearing here. 

There is certainly enough room in the market for this upcoming Caribbean winter season for some line out there to go with 100% vaccinated guests. Celebrity is well placed to do that within the RCG portfolio. 

• Thanks 1