Jump to content

Thinking of canceling 3/5/22 cruise


Recommended Posts

I booked a March 2022 cruise on the Enchantment a few weeks ago. My payment on my credit card is due 7/28, my final payment is due in November. I did this cruise before and have been to all the islands at least once. I actually booked this cruise on a whim!! (Long story) Now that I am vaccinated and so is the person who would be going with me I felt safe!! However, the new variant is coming to several places and I am getting concerned. Should I wait to see how the world is by November when final payment is due or should I call my agent and cancel this cruise? I did buy the insurance.

 

Thanks for you thoughts and have a good day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sea and Me said:

I booked a March 2022 cruise on the Enchantment a few weeks ago. My payment on my credit card is due 7/28, my final payment is due in November. I did this cruise before and have been to all the islands at least once. I actually booked this cruise on a whim!! (Long story) Now that I am vaccinated and so is the person who would be going with me I felt safe!! However, the new variant is coming to several places and I am getting concerned. Should I wait to see how the world is by November when final payment is due or should I call my agent and cancel this cruise? I did buy the insurance.

 

Thanks for you thoughts and have a good day.

Why not wait it out.  Things are changing rapidly.

 

It's not likely that you would get your deposit back from Royal before this months statement is due.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not cancelling anything based on today’s circumstances. It could flip daily…and does. We have a final payment coming up in September and will wait till last minute to decide. 🙂
 

Only you know if you are comfortable sailing or not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want to live in fear or something that may or may not be an issue 9 months down the road by all means cancel. 
 

That wouldn’t even be a consideration for me at this point. Who knows what the future hold with anything, covid or non covid related. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

If you want to live in fear or something that may or may not be an issue 9 months down the road by all means cancel. 
 

That wouldn’t even be a consideration for me at this point. Who knows what the future hold with anything, covid or non covid related. 

I agree and the OP stated that they are fully vaccinated.  The people catching the variants, getting sick and dying are the unvaxxed not the vaxxed.  Why worry if you are vaxxed and why worry what's happening 9 months from now.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, what a nasty response, “if you want to live in fear…”. The OP didn’t give any indication that was the case. People have differing levels of risk tolerance. Responding to posts requires a careful use of words and phrasing. It also requires a level of maturity and empathy that is lacking on this forum.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do you care what random people on the internet think? 

 

Talk to your doctor.  Explain your concerns.  Listen to their opinion and use that information to make up your mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Why do you care what random people on the internet think? 

 

Talk to your doctor.  Explain your concerns.  Listen to their opinion and use that information to make up your mind.

Ask your doctor what cruising and the virus situation will be like in 8 months?  Or whether to cancel a cruise now?  Too funny.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, M&A said:

I agree and the OP stated that they are fully vaccinated.  The people catching the variants, getting sick and dying are the unvaxxed not the vaxxed.  Why worry if you are vaxxed and why worry what's happening 9 months from now.


More reports everyday of vaccinated people getting sick. As far as I know, they have mild to moderate symptoms, but it is enough to spoil a vacation should one become ill on a cruise.

 

Sure, things will change by the time final payment or departure comes around, but it is too early to dismiss the pandemic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sea and Me said:

I booked a March 2022 cruise on the Enchantment a few weeks ago. My payment on my credit card is due 7/28, my final payment is due in November. I did this cruise before and have been to all the islands at least once. I actually booked this cruise on a whim!! (Long story) Now that I am vaccinated and so is the person who would be going with me I felt safe!! However, the new variant is coming to several places and I am getting concerned. Should I wait to see how the world is by November when final payment is due or should I call my agent and cancel this cruise? I did buy the insurance.

 

Thanks for you thoughts and have a good day.

If I was you I would hang in until final payment is due.  A lot can and will change from now to November.  Hopefully for the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Babr said:


More reports everyday of vaccinated people getting sick. As far as I know, they have mild to moderate symptoms, but it is enough to spoil a vacation should one become ill on a cruise.

 

Sure, things will change by the time final payment or departure comes around, but it is too early to dismiss the pandemic.

There are breakthrough cases but almost all those hospitalized and dying are unvaccinated.  The reports of those vaccinated people getting sick are mostly asymptomatic that just happen turn up positive after a test for another reason, not people feeling sick and getting tested.  

 

The flu or norovirus can spoil a vacation too.  By that standard, everyone should just stay home.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BND said:

There are breakthrough cases but almost all those hospitalized and dying are unvaccinated.  The reports of those vaccinated people getting sick are mostly asymptomatic that just happen turn up positive after a test for another reason, not people feeling sick and getting tested.  


I agree that the vast majority of serious illness now is in the unvaccinated.

 

I was thinking of a thread I was reading on the Carnival board. A couple who posts there often reported that they both were ill with symptoms after a dinner out with a group of friends, many of whom were unvaccinated. Their doctor confirmed the diagnosis and remarked that she was seeing such cases in fully vaccinated, as they were, more often. Anecdotal, to be sure, but one with credibility in the CC community.


While it is true that positive cases up until now have been found accidentally, I wonder if we’ll see that change as the Delta variant spreads.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have 2 cruises booked before Covid.........and 1 other one that I booked when that lift and shift started to happen, and I only booked that one because the price of the cruise was crazy , crazy cheap for an Owners Suite.

 

There is postively no way I'm booking ANY cruise right now in the future for any year in the distance  until ALL and I mean ALL this Covid is over..........if that time never happens, then we never cruise again. No biggie! There are plenty of other kinds of vacations to go on and places to see.

Edited by Jimbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Babr said:


I agree that the vast majority of serious illness now is in the unvaccinated.

 

I was thinking of a thread I was reading on the Carnival board. A couple who posts there often reported that they both were ill with symptoms after a dinner out with a group of friends, many of whom were unvaccinated. Their doctor confirmed the diagnosis and remarked that she was seeing such cases in fully vaccinated, as they were, more often. Anecdotal, to be sure, but one with credibility in the CC community.


While it is true that positive cases up until now have been found accidentally, I wonder if we’ll see that change as the Delta variant spreads.

 

I know I don't know anyone who has had a breakthrough case.  I do think people are obsessing over the Delta variant but it should be enough to get those unvaccinated to change their  minds.

 

This is not unusual or unheard of in vaccinated people.  I had the flu just about 18 months ago a few months after getting the shot, but it was extremely mild and well worth having had the vaccine as my boss had the same and his Dr told him the mildness was due to the vaccine.  Some expect perfection which doesn't exist.   Other illnesses have ruined people's vacations and you can't live your life constantly worrying about what "might" happen.  If someone decides not to cruise, that's their decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I have 2 cruises booked before Covid.........and 1 other one that I booked when that lift and shift started to happen, and I only booked that one because the price of the cruise was crazy , crazy cheap for an Owners Suite.

 

There is postively no way I'm booking ANY cruise right now in the future for any year in the distance  until ALL and I mean ALL this Covid is over..........if that time never happens, then we never cruise again. No biggie! There are plenty of other kinds of vacations to go on and places to see.

More than likely you're never cruising again, but that is your decision.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I have 2 cruises booked before Covid.........and 1 that I booked when that lift and shift started to happen, and I only booked that one because the price of the cruise was crazy , crazy xheap for an Owners Suite.

 

There is postively no way I'm booking ANY cruise right now in the future for any year in the distance  until ALL and I mean ALL this Covid is over..........if that time never happens, then we never cruise again. No biggie! There are plenty of other kinds of vacations to go on and places to see.


People were probably too eager to believe that everything would be normal once vaccinations were widespread and restrictions where they live were lifted.

 

Now we have to admit it is not that simple. It is not over yet anywhere in the world. I have cruises booked for 2022, and I’ll decide at final payment if I still want to go. Things will have to be a lot better by then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Ask your doctor what cruising and the virus situation will be like in 8 months?  Or whether to cancel a cruise now?  Too funny.

And expensive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP, unless you think that cancelling now and using your refund of the deposit to invest in the next Bitcoin or Amazon which might make you thousands and thousands of dollars by November, there is very little cost to you for waiting until just before final payment is due to make up your mind on this. 

 

Chill, your Pirates are up 6-0 already on the Mets.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BND said:

I know I don't know anyone who has had a breakthrough case.  I do think people are obsessing over the Delta variant but it should be enough to get those unvaccinated to change their  minds.

 

This is not unusual or unheard of in vaccinated people.  I had the flu just about 18 months ago a few months after getting the shot, but it was extremely mild and well worth having had the vaccine as my boss had the same and his Dr told him the mildness was due to the vaccine.  Some expect perfection which doesn't exist.   Other illnesses have ruined people's vacations and you can't live your life constantly worrying about what "might" happen.  If someone decides not to cruise, that's their decision.


 

I don’t know anyone who has had a breakthrough infection either. That does not mean it isn’t real.

 

Indeed, unplanned events spoil vacations, but one has to consider the likelihood of something happening when making their decisions. Is Covid more likely to be a consideration for the foreseeable future?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Babr said:


 

I don’t know anyone who has had a breakthrough infection either. That does not mean it isn’t real.

 

Indeed, unplanned events spoil vacations, but one has to consider the likelihood of something happening when making their decisions. Is Covid more likely to be a consideration for the foreseeable future?

Well, we've decided.  We have 7 cruises booked between this Nov and Nov 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, BND said:

More than likely you're never cruising again, but that is your decision.

No problem, had a good run with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, M&A said:

I agree and the OP stated that they are fully vaccinated.  The people catching the variants, getting sick and dying are the unvaxxed not the vaxxed.  Why worry if you are vaxxed and why worry what's happening 9 months from now.

bingo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BND said:

I know I don't know anyone who has had a breakthrough case.  I do think people are obsessing over the Delta variant but it should be enough to get those unvaccinated to change their  minds.

 

This is not unusual or unheard of in vaccinated people.  I had the flu just about 18 months ago a few months after getting the shot, but it was extremely mild and well worth having had the vaccine as my boss had the same and his Dr told him the mildness was due to the vaccine.  Some expect perfection which doesn't exist.   Other illnesses have ruined people's vacations and you can't live your life constantly worrying about what "might" happen.  If someone decides not to cruise, that's their decision.

Find your mask again, you may be needing it again sooner then you think. All it takes is for the CDC decide to make people wearing them again.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-admit-wrong-urge-vaccinated-101917149.html

 

Edited by Jimbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...