Relaxing Masking for vaccinated guests?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

Got it.  Sorry still in post-cruise fog.  You are correct, as soon as guests boarded the Carnival Horizon, the masks came off.  As a guest, I was not required to wear one anywhere on the ship.  On the ship, there was no way to tell who was vaccinated and who wasn't - except those who clearly looked under 12.  

Wonder how many have Covid now this week? guess we will never know since it won't be reported anywhere that they were on a cruise ship.

Edited by Jimbo

Just now, smokeybandit said:

And he completely ignores natural immunity.

and no...the 70% was a target to get to 95% when you add in natural and acquired. It is just so much easier to soundbite " hey if we can get 70% vaccinated we can lick this" than to spend 15 minutes every day trying to explain it. And getting 70% of adults to grab the vaccine is a good goal, consider it takes 10-15 years to achieve 95%+ when starting a new childhood vaccine to cycle through the births.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

and no...the 70% was a target to get to 95% when you add in natural and acquired. It is just so much easier to soundbite " hey if we can get 70% vaccinated we can lick this" than to spend 15 minutes every day trying to explain it. And getting 70% of adults to grab the vaccine is a good goal, consider it takes 10-15 years to achieve 95%+ when starting a new childhood vaccine to cycle through the births.

95% is a ridiculous number. That basically says everyone in the country needs to get covid or get the vaccine.

Meanwhile, after 2009, no one mentioned swine flu again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

So we're just going to guarantee this thread gets deleted?

I hope not, trying to have a scientific discussion, not political. Hit 95+% immune, regardless of political affiliation or tendency, and masks can come off:)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

95% is a ridiculous number. That basically says everyone in the country needs to get covid or get the vaccine.

Meanwhile, after 2009, no one mentioned swine flu again

Yep. Just reality. Hence why plaque wiped out half of Europe back in the day. It is why 95% of this country is measles, mumps, rubella, polio vaccinated. We will hit that 95% one way or another. Between vaccinations, natural immunity, and previous infections we are probably at 70%, at least on a national count. And 15% are under 12, unable to receive the vaccine. So I do expect 15-20% of immunity to come from catching it. 2/4 in my family caught it..pre-vaccination. 3/12 where I work have caught it (1 was lucky to have survived, no pre-vaccinations caught it, no vaccinated caught it), and we are spread out over 3 buildings.

Luckily swine flu turned out to be less deadly than regular flu.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedIguana said:

And 15% are under 12, unable to receive the vaccine.

And those 15% might have a sniffle as a result.

The pandemic will last as long as every positive test is treated just like the plague that wiped out half of Europe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And those 15% might have a sniffle as a result

If it helps with herd immunity great...mild cases are good. The one guy I work with who came pretty close to dying caught it from his 6 year old grandkids....

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I think as long as people have normal discussions and not continually drag the florida governor or politics, then yes, I have no problem reading.  I find some of it interesting.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, barbeyg said:

I guess for now we are all at the mercy of the CDC’s masking rules that could go either way.  The CSO will stand for now.  Hopefully, as they have on land, the rules will relax more for those vaccinated. 

Yes the CDC could respond to the lawsuit by saying you have to wear them forever on the ships removing them like on planes only to eat and drink. And that you even have to sleep in them. They could do that you know. It depends how they react to being sued by the cruise lines aka the biggest spreaders of cold, flu and covid.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Yes the CDC could respond to the lawsuit by saying you have to wear them forever on the ships removing them like on planes only to eat and drink. And that you even have to sleep in them. They could do that you know. It depends how they react to being sued by the cruise lines aka the biggest spreaders of cold, flu and covid.

🤣🤣

Ace sometimes I just have to laugh at your posts.  no hard feelings though.  

Edited by jean87510

6 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I think as long as people have normal discussions and not continually drag the florida governor or politics, then yes, I have no problem reading.  I find some of it interesting.

Yeah, I was referring to the CDC bashing that had already started. I hope we keep politics out of it

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The CDC back in May changed its guidance for the return of the cruise industry and it includes a major revision—it will allow guests on vaccinated sailings (those with 95% or more vaccinated) to forgo any mask-wearing onboard. "Sleep with masks on" "forever" ROTFLMAO.   

2 hours ago, BND said:

I'd forgotten that, but the positive rates are almost identical, virtually none.  I know there's been a couple on RCI, but in unvaccinated people who have mask requirements.  So, that says a lot about whether masking makes any difference or is necessary on a cruise with the other current rules in place.

I think it days more about people not following rules when no one is watching.

Just now, jrapps said:

Yeah, I was referring to the CDC bashing that had already started. I hope we keep politics out of it

I do too.  I really hate it and find it to be an example of bad manners.  

41 minutes ago, jrapps said:

It’s the same discussion and talking points over and over again. And the end result is predictable. My question is whether some folks do it simply to achieve that result from the start.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deplorable1 said:

If you don’t go outside you don’t have to worry about COVID, or getting shot or mugged.

Not true. You can get covid or shot or mugged by the doordash delivery guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am not sure mask requirements will be easing anytime soon with the uprise in cases.

We are actually seeing a return to mask recommendations and mandates. LA just went back to an indoor mask mandate.

And in an unprecedented move, the American Association of Pediatrics today contradicted the CDC in their recommendations for masks and children in schools.

The CDC recommended that all unvaccinated children be required to wear masks. The AAP said that didn't go far enough and that they recommend that ALL students 2 and older, vaccinated or not, be required to wear masks at school.

I highly doubt that the cruise lines will lower the mask requirements right now in the current atmosphere of rising cases.

13 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Considering that 1 out of 5 new US Covid infections are coming out of Florida, no one can predict what will happen.

They are saying most of those are the unvaccinated which doesn’t surprise me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, hospitalizations are down in comparison to case rises. The same has been seen in the UK, too

99.2% of the deaths from Covid in the month of June were among unvaccinated people. That speaks volumes…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Thank you for your actual scientific responses!

• Like 3