STUPID QUESTION NEED HELP

rabin1

I have just worked my last nerve trying to upload my passport photo on the Ocean Medallion. I am not too swift with cell phones. Only use them for texting and calls.

Would one of you please explain to me how to do it and make the instructions idiot proof.............lol

Thanks

Kathy

Your question is not stupid.  Look at the number of threads and posts on the subject of Ocean Ready and you will see you are far from alone.

I had a problem, a different problem, but like you, I too am not smartphone savvy here either.

Their help line number is 1-844-525-0942.

After explaining my concern, they told me to have my (adult) child do it. This is the level of help you should expect from them.  Since then, supposedly, they have changed their tune and more can be done at the port at boarding time

The bottom line is, you are the customer. They need to come through for you. Insist upon it. It was never right to throw this burden on their customers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I can soooooooooo relate.  I went through a 2 hour ordeal on the phone with Navigator Dept trying to do that very thing.  Some tips I can offer that finally got me the needed results.  Passport as flat as possible.  Be in very good lighting ( I ended up going outside)  Once you are on the "scan" page be sure you are in landscape orientation.  Focus on getting the camera to read your passport numbers on the bottom of your passport.  When it does, they will highlight bright green. The middle bar supposedly turns orange, but it's very quick.  Tap button take picture now.  Confirm and then another confirm to save your work.  You will see that the "scanner" populated all you passport information for you.  Best of luck to you.  I understand on a phone there is a way to type your passport information.  I could not because I can only use my iPad (My phone is not compatible with new App) This App is just totally horrendous.  Princess needs to fire their IT outsource company.  They have made such a mess of everything.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I have just worked my last nerve trying to upload my passport photo on the Ocean Medallion. I am not too swift with cell phones. Only use them for texting and calls.

Would one of you please explain to me how to do it and make the instructions idiot proof.............lol

Thanks

Kathy

There's no such thing as a stupid question. Heres my suggestion on how to do it:

1. Open medallion app

2. Open TRAVEL CHECKLIST 

3. Open PERSONAL INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS

4. Open SECURITY PHOTO, go to your picture files on your phone, find a photo of you that you like & click on it to upload it, save

5. Open PROFILE PHOTO and repeat steps. My profile is Koda

Edited by Ombud

There are so many 1 star reviews on App in Google Play Store from people who are having difficulties, issues or bugs and are not being able to do things requested. Surely somebody from Princess must read these reviews and do something and do it quick.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ombud said:

There's no such thing as a stupid question. Heres my suggestion on how to do it:

1. Open medallion app

2. Open TRAVEL CHECKLIST 

3. Open PERSONAL INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS

4. Open SECURITY PHOTO, go to your picture files on your phone, find a photo of you that you like & click on it to upload it, save

5. Open PROFILE PHOTO and repeat steps. My profile is Koda

My photo is there from the last cruise but there is an orange I in the photo with a E under it.

I don;t know what that means

also I cannot get the whole passport to upload. 
How do i do that?

See told you stupid...............lol

Thanks

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

My photo is there from the last cruise but there is an orange I in the photo with a E under it.

I don;t know what that means

also I cannot get the whole passport to upload. 
How do i do that?

See told you stupid...............lol

Thanks

The "I" is for incomplete because the "whole passport" won't load. What part isn't loading? Are you trying to take a picture to get it uploaded or are you taking a picture, saving it, then uploading the picture from a file?

Edited by Ombud

Posted (edited)

I think answer #3 is best route. I did that and it worked. I just don't remember having to press the button to take the picture. But it makes sense that you would need to click button.

Ombud you might be confusing taking / uploading a photo with 'scanning' a passport. Did not see that you could upload a photo of a passport.

Agree you need to be sure passport is flat, well lit and no glare.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The "I" is for incomplete because the "whole passport" won't load. What part isn't loading? Are you trying to take a picture to get it uploaded or are you taking a picture, saving it, then uploading the picture from a file?

It is saying scan and it won't scan

Also I cannot buy dining specialty on the second leg of a B2B

Thanks 

1 minute ago, rabin1 said:

It is saying scan and it won't scan

Give more details please, do you press Scan and nothing happens ? I think Scan happened when I was positioned well enough for camera to read the passport number correctly. I moved back and forward to get passport correctly in focus.

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Can you try taking the picture, saving it in your files, and uploading it from there? Let me know if that works

I did not see an Upload option under Scan Passport.

Just now, Tedferg said:

Give more details please, do you press Scan and nothing happens ? I think Scan happened when I was positioned well enough for camera to read the passport number correctly. I moved back and forward to get passport correctly in focus.

I position the way it says tap for it to scan and no scan

also on my security photo the same one is there from last time and saying I on it

Posted (edited)

That option must have disappeared in one of the app updates.  That's how I got my vaccination receipt in the app which then automatically completed the attestation on the 5 subsequent cruises. Now it doesn't even ask for a picture of the vax receipt. Just another quirk in an app which  continually changes

Edited by Ombud

Thank you all of you. I give up. If they don;t want me to go then they can just give me my $10000 Back.

I don;t know how to do a lot of what you guys are trying to tell me. I can do all on computer but not on phone.

Thanks again

Blessings

Kathy

• Like 1

When you scan your pasport, the only part of the passport that is relevant is the code at the bottom of your photo page. 

When prompted, the app will show a red band on your phone/tablet. You position that over the code,  the band turns green, and you are done. No need to actually press the screen at all.

Easy when you know how, but just unnecessary in my opinion.

Princess are taking a system that worked fine,  and destroyed it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kathy they will sort it out for you at the Pier when you sail. I am sure 80% of passengers have no idea about the Medallion App and will turn up and get in line to check in as they have always doen. Princess Reps will sort it out. 🙂

Just now, wowzz said:

When you scan your pasport, the only part of the passport that is relevant is the code at the bottom of your photo page. 

When prompted, the app will show a red band on your phone/tablet. You position that over the code,  the band turns green, and you are done. No need to actually press the screen at all.

Easy when you know how, but just unnecessary in my opinion.

Princess are taking a system that worked fine,  and destroyed it.  

Thanks for clarification Wowzz - I did not think I had to press button, Scan is a unique process versus upload of photo etc. Perhaps Kathy is not getting a focus or too dark etc.

Posted (edited)

When is your next cruise? If after this summer, come back in September when us guinea pigs have ferreted out all the errors. There's going to be so many changes to the app once that 1st cruise (You know the one with the Princess VP John Chernesky) on it. Think that update is just oddly on 7/31/21? 

Edited by Ombud

Just now, Tedferg said:

Thanks for clarification Wowzz - I did not think I had to press button, Scan is a unique process versus upload of photo etc. Perhaps Kathy is not getting a focus or too dark etc.

I better clarify. I use an iPad and I was told there are differences between iPad, iPhone and Android.  The App is not identical on all devices.  I just described my experience using my iPad.

10 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I can do all on computer but not on phone.

Same here, Kathy!  Princess made a huge mistake making this app phone/device exclusive eliminating the PC or Mac.  I think it is Princess trying to make us do their work so they can continue to cut services and people, kind of like becoming almost "self service" now with this.

I can scan my passport, but then it won’t take the picture. My experience with the IT folks was awful.  Customer service was better but I’m still not ‘fixed’!  I agree that Princess needs to ditch their IT Provider and IT Support Provider.  They don’t seem to understand the simplest of things.

• Like 1