New Princess packages - worth it or not?

I'm looking at a California Coast cruise on Majestic next March.  There would be two adults.  There's a $280 difference between the regular price and the Value price that includes drinks and Wi-Fi and crew incentive.  I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it, because I can't find the price of these things individually.   Does anyone know?  I know once you have a cruise booked you can get to the menu to add extras like that, but I don't think I can get to it before I book the cruise.

I'm so excited to actually be asking questions about a cruise again!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Amster12345 said:

I'm looking at a California Coast cruise on Majestic next March.  There would be two adults.  There's a $280 difference between the regular price and the Value price that includes drinks and Wi-Fi and crew incentive.  I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it, because I can't find the price of these things individually.   Does anyone know?  I know once you have a cruise booked you can get to the menu to add extras like that, but I don't think I can get to it before I book the cruise.

I'm so excited to actually be asking questions about a cruise again!!

I found this on google. 

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/princess-plus/

Hope that helps 

It all depends on if you drink and how much. Do two of you need internet or can you share? I find it a poor value because I don't drink and two of us share one computer so the $5 daily rate covers us both. 

• Like 1

It's $40 per person per day.  Of that $40, $14.50 is the crew incentive, so that leaves $25.50.  Figuring a cocktail or glass of wine at about $11 and a mocha or latte at about $4, are you planning to have more than two drinks/one coffee per day?  Or a bottle of water (small) is about $2, same for soda.  How many of those would you drink per day?  And then, if it weren't in the package, would you buy an internet plan -- gotta add that in.  In short, I think for most people, the plan works out to save them money.  But there are also those who never go online and who don't drink anything other than the free plain coffee, tea, iced tea, and tap water, in which case, it doesn't make sense. 

• Like 8

I assume it is a 7 day coastal and that it is $280 per person.  There are lots of threads regarding the Princess Plus option.  From a solo's perspective that only has to pay $280 and not $560, approximately $105 or so will for the gratuities, which I assume you intend to not retract.  Hence I would be left with a $175 or so for unlimited drinks and wifi.  I need the Wifi which is about $10 per day.  If would be about $5 if you are Platinum or Elite, which I'm not yet and I assume you are not since you are asking this question.  So the question comes down to is it worth $15/day for drinks for me  ($15 grats + $10 Wifi + $15 unlimited drinks = $40 per day).  Please note that the drinks do not include premium brands.

Looking at it for two gets more complicated because there are variables of can you guys share Wifi, are one you a big drinker.  And so forth.  Basically, you have to do a lot of math and sort it all out.

• Like 3

The plus fare extra is $40/pp/day. Includes:

Gratuity between $14.50 to $16.50 depending on cabin category, average $15/pp/day for this discussion

Wi-fi which is around $10/pp/day. Can be less if you are platinum loyalty level or if you only purchase one plan for two people, average for this discussion $5/pp/day

Premier beverage package, Right around $70/pp/day. Package can not be shared.

Prices above are the prices if purchased separately. The gratuity is separately billed to your on board accounts if you do not have the plus fare. That leaves around $25/pp/day net. $5 for internet and you are down to $20/pp/day for beverages. That is less than two alcoholic beverages pp/day plus all the specialty coffees and non alcoholic beverages you what. Around 95% or more of the alcoholic beverages and cocktails on the ship are covered. On the non-alcoholic side canned sodas are excluded, fountain sodas only.

• Like 1

Just a note about the comment regarding premium brands of drinks not being covered. Any cocktail $12 and under are covered.  Many of these are made with Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, Makers Mark and the like which I consider to be premium. I have always gotten anything I have asked for (within reason of course!) at any bar on any Princess ship and almost always it has been covered.  If a drink costs over $12 you just pay the difference.  This is brand new and I am pretty excited about it!

• Like 4

CarelessAndConfused, your assumptions are partially correct.  I'm Platinum, my son is not.  But it's been five or six years since we sailed on Princess.  At that time, you had to pay for Wifi by the hour and my son was still under 21.  And I had no idea what current costs are, which is why I was asking.

He'll want a soda package, so I don't know what's available now that he's 21. He doesn't drink alcohol, but does go thru a few sodas every day.  I like a coffee in the morning and maybe one drink a day.  We'd both want internet, so I guess that's $5 and $10.  I'm probably right at the tipping point between the two.  

Thanks for the info.

16 minutes ago, Amster12345 said:

CarelessAndConfused, your assumptions are partially correct.  I'm Platinum, my son is not.  But it's been five or six years since we sailed on Princess.  At that time, you had to pay for Wifi by the hour and my son was still under 21.  And I had no idea what current costs are, which is why I was asking.

He'll want a soda package, so I don't know what's available now that he's 21. He doesn't drink alcohol, but does go thru a few sodas every day.  I like a coffee in the morning and maybe one drink a day.  We'd both want internet, so I guess that's $5 and $10.  I'm probably right at the tipping point between the two.  

Thanks for the info.

Not exactly but close.  Bought before cruise it's $20 per day (4 device pkg) with 50% rebated as non-refundable OBC onboard: net$10 a day. Price increases to $25 with 50% rebated as non-refundable OBC onboard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great deal for us.  Gratuities payed.  We both will have a specialty coffee in the morning a beer or two in the afternoon and a couple glasses of wine with dinner.  The only negative I found on a Medallion cruise was with the unlimited internet I found myself spending more time online than I really should on vacation.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Price increases to $25 with 50% rebated as non-refundable OBC onboard.

IIRC you were able to call to pre-purchase the internet package?

I haven’t seen purchasing internet packages available on the MC app nor on the Cruise Personalizer in advance. Until that’s an option Princess should not charge extra to purchase it onboard.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Posted (edited)

@Astro Flyeri called my PVP & bought it on 2 cruises.

Huge coffee drinker. Lite wine drinker. So I just trade my minibar for 2 coffee programs which hopefully will last me through the 7 day & 10 day cruises 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Keep in mind you can purchase a coffee package for unlimited brewed coffee and 15 specialty coffees for the duration of your cruise for $36.  If your son likes blended coffee drinks you can share those from the coffee package with him. You can also purchase packages of 12 bottles of water delivered to your cabin for $7 precruise.  

Your internet would cost $10/day for up to 4 devices, so that would cover both you and your son.  The classic soda package is $11.79/ day per person.  

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Just a note about the comment regarding premium brands of drinks not being covered. Any cocktail $12 and under are covered.  Many of these are made with Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, Makers Mark and the like which I consider to be premium. I have always gotten anything I have asked for (within reason of course!) at any bar on any Princess ship and almost always it has been covered.  If a drink costs over $12 you just pay the difference.  This is brand new and I am pretty excited about it!

I was surprised (and happy) that the bartenders always poured me Grey Goose without me even asking when I was on the drinks package.  I too consider that premium.

10 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

IIRC you were able to call to pre-purchase the internet package?

I haven’t seen purchasing internet packages available on the MC app nor on the Cruise Personalizer in advance. Until that’s an option Princess should not charge extra to purchase it onboard.

There may well be a lot of folks asking for price adjustment on board the initial cruises as they wouldn't have thought to phone in.  But then, maybe they won't know they are being over-charged unless here from other pax.  IMO, they should honor the pre-cruise rate since they took it out of Personalizer and have not got it added to the MC App as yet (it is coming for sure).  But I imagine people will have to be aware and self-advocate with a reason to get a rate adjustment.

There is also going to be voyage-length package pricing as before, but that pricing has not yet been announced/revealed.  It will be be interesting if someone reports back on this from the early cruises.

I expect the packages to be less than the on-board single day/per day rates.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There is also going to be voyage-length package pricing as before, but that pricing has not yet been announced/revealed. 

Where have you seen that Princess will offer this?

19 hours ago, Ombud said:

Not exactly but close.  Bought before cruise it's $20 per day (4 device pkg) with 50% rebated as non-refundable OBC onboard: net$10 a day. Price increases to $25 with 50% rebated as non-refundable OBC onboard.

Is that $20 per day for unlimited WiFi? I've been trying to figure out what my (additional) costs will be for a cruise I booked a year ago. I bought cruise without any sort of added "perks" because our sailing companions (in a separate cabin) did not plan on getting them either (mainly due to the beverage package). We are Platinum, and I was happy with the 250 included WiFi minutes, but now I see where that perk are no longer provided, and the last time I looked at Princess I did not see a WiFi cost. If I understand you correctly, WiFi's cost for a Platinum member would be $10.00 per day if bought pre-cruise? That is expensive; but insane for a non-Platinun member! Paying over $10 per day for WiFi is nuts in my book. I just don't need anything but check email each morning, the ability to check airline connections once or twice, and perhaps "surf the 'net" for 15 minutes a day. I guess I will try to see if they have some sort of a "by the day" package where I can just check my airline connections toward the end of our cruise.

Doug

18 hours ago, franktown said:

The only negative...I found myself spending more time online than I really should on vacation.  

Human nature to want to make the most of something we've paid for. I usually eat more and gain weight on a cruise, since food figures in the cruise fare. Add alcohol and internet paid for up front and that's another recipe for over consumption. Are bundled packages worth it? Each person has to weigh that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, franktown said:

The only negative...I found myself spending more time online than I really should on vacation.  

Human nature to want to make the most of something we've paid for. I usually eat more and gain weight on a cruise, since food figures in the cruise fare. Add alcohol and internet paid for up front and that's another recipe for over consumption. Are bundled packages worth it? Each person has to weigh that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

You can say that again....oh, you did!😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I guess I will try to see if they have some sort of a "by the day" package where I can just check my airline connections toward the end of our cruise.

Yes, you could buy individual days on board.  The price then will be $20/day.  If you qualify as Platinum or Elite, you get 50% off.

@Steelers36have you confirmed that a single day is available onboard? 

@PaperSniper4yes the $20 per day × length of day is unlimited. Let's say the 4 of you with each device will be on a 7 day cruise. Thats $140 pre-cruise/ $70 back to spend onboard and all 4 of you have unlimited WiFi 

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

our sailing companions (in a separate cabin)

Thanks! I haven't researched it much. Found the 2 packages that were best for me and stopped (1 when solo, 1 when traveling with kids)