Debarkation time and noon flight

Taclin01

Do you think we could make a noon flight out of FLL on a Saturday?  I don’t know how debarkation is working with COVID. If we book our flights through Celebrity and don’t make the flight with they make sure we get on the next? Thanks! 

Under normal circumstances a noon or later flight should be fine from FLL.   You didn't mention when you are traveling but right now there is very limited cruise traffic but the airports are pretty busy with summer travel.

Shouldn't be a problem the airport is only 10-15 minutes from cruise port. We have made flights pre Covid as soon as 9:30 am. Reports from people getting off the Edge so far, have been very positive about the disembarkation process in Port Everglades.

1 hour ago, Taclin01 said:

Do you think we could make a noon flight out of FLL on a Saturday?  I don’t know how debarkation is working with COVID. If we book our flights through Celebrity and don’t make the flight with they make sure we get on the next? Thanks! 

I would think it is doable if you walk off -  usually around 7:00 AM.    Airport is close but you may have some delays at security depending on airline and number of flights.

I do want to point out one thing I learned from personal experience.    While flights by celebrity say they will get you on next available flight they don't say "at no cost".       Depends on ticket you have and other factors.    I missed a flight and my ticket was non-endorsable to another airline and AA didn't have any availability for 24 hours (international flight).   They could get me on another airline for $2,000 - but i chose to use miles instead.   If the airline cancels and  not caused by your late arrival different rules apply.

1 hour ago, Taclin01 said:

I believe you will be fine.  We have left at 11:30 am in the past with plenty of time to spare.  

People who console you by mentioning how they did things in the past are trying to help, but the world has changed.  It is much harder these days to find Ubers and taxis due to lack of drivers (and much, much more expensive, for the Ubers at least!).  Airport TSA lines have been awful - in some airports 2-3 hours long due to lack of staffing.  Even looking at how FLL is doing now in that regard can't adequately predict a few weeks (or months) from now as cruise capacity kicks up, as does other travel.  

So the bottom line is this - in the past, no issue at all.  In the very near future, should be easily doable if getting off the ship early.  A month or two from now?  Likely you would make it, but no one can assure you of that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

People who console you by mentioning how they did things in the past are trying to help, but the world has changed.  It is much harder these days to find Ubers and taxis due to lack of drivers (and much, much more expensive, for the Ubers at least!).  Airport TSA lines have been awful - in some airports 2-3 hours long due to lack of staffing.  Even looking at how FLL is doing now in that regard can't adequately predict a few weeks (or months) from now as cruise capacity kicks up, as does other travel.  

So the bottom line is this - in the past, no issue at all.  In the very near future, should be easily doable if getting off the ship early.  A month or two from now?  Likely you would make it, but no one can assure you of that.

All fair points, but I didn't see anyone offering money back guarantees.  To this  point, I haven't seen anyone talking about issues on the Edge cruises that have debarked in FLL.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

We had no problem catching a 10:30 AM flight out of FLL after our cruise a couple of weeks ago.  In fact, we had breakfast before disembarking around 8:30 AM.  There were plenty of taxis and uber options and we had time to grab coffee and sit down at the airport before boarding the flight. We have Global Entry (although we didn't need it), Clear,  and TSA pre-check so that factors in as well. 

Edited by SWKcruise
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

All fair points, but I didn't see anyone offering money back guarantees.  To this  point, I haven't seen anyone talking about issues on the Edge cruises that have debarked in FLL.  🙂

Agreed.  I just think comparing right now, with few cruises sailing and at reduced capacity, versus a few weeks or couple of months from now could be an entirely different situation.  And what happened PC (pre-Covid) could be very different from what will happen this year.  We traveled to FLL earlier this year because we couldn't take the cruise we had originally booked.  Ubers were taking some people 2+ hours to arrive (if they showed up at all).  We ended up paying more than $80 for a ride we were used to paying $25 for.  I would just hate to see anyone miss a plane based on old information.  That's all I'm trying to say.

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I think you will be fine, just booked a noon flight on August 8 leaving FLL

We are also de boarding the Equinox on 8/8...we booked our return flight for a few minutes before noon.

54 minutes ago, SWKcruise said:

We had no problem catching a 10:30 AM flight out of FLL after our cruise a couple of weeks ago.  In fact, we had breakfast before disembarking around 8:30 AM.  There were plenty of taxis and uber options and we had time to grab coffee and sit down at the airport before boarding the flight. We have Global Entry (although we didn't need it), Clear,  and TSA pre-check so that factors in as well. 

We also had breakfast and were at the airport around 10 am.  Problem for us was that our flight was not until 2 pm and they were not accepting luggage until 11 am.  So we were like others sitting outside of the check in area with our bags.  

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I think you will be fine, just booked a noon flight on August 8 leaving FLL

Are you traveling on a Celebrity ship?  I don't see any Celebrity ships in port on December 17.  The day may be important.  For example there are 5 ships in port on December 18.

There are 5 ships scheduled to be in Port Everglades on December 18.  I would expect delays at almost every step.  You may have significant delays getting a taxi, airport check-in and airport security.  As others have indicated be prepared to walk-off the ship as soon as they start.  You should still make the flight but I would expect some delays.  Your experience will likely be different from any recent sailings because the crowds will be much larger.