The Dining Room

Noted that the Dining Room is now an option under specialty dining but I'm not really sure what this is and what the cost would be.  It appears in the description that it is a speciality dining but no pricing.  Does anyone know anything about this option?

11 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Noted that the Dining Room is now an option under specialty dining but I'm not really sure what this is and what the cost would be.  It appears in the description that it is a speciality dining but no pricing.  Does anyone know anything about this option?

This is new.  If it’s what I think it is, it’s simply the Main Dining Room.

Under dining on the ships, it showing it as “Dining Room” and price included which means the MDR to me.

Perhaps they are letting people who book any time dining reserve on line?

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

This is new.  If it’s what I think it is, it’s simply the Main Dining Room.

Under dining on the ships, it showing it as “Dining Room” and price included which means the MDR to me.

Perhaps they are letting people who book any time dining reserve on line?

That's what I thought at first. However when you read the description it seems more in line with a private dining option rather than main dining but I'm not really sure.

On the Navigator App it appears to updated a menu that was not there previously. 
It is listed as tonight’s menu. Not sure it is truly tonight’s menu for those on board or if it is a sample menu. 
Sadly neither Tom and I were impressed and thinking we would go to the Lido with this menu.

266B1A2E-BDBF-4061-B4A9-1927EA803420.png

B88AE977-4513-486C-9DAE-9FD3B93ACEB3.png

3 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

That's what I thought at first. However when you read the description it seems more in line with a private dining option rather than main dining but I'm not really sure.

I went to look and it sounded like the MDR to me.  But, who knows?

If you want to double check call HAL’s number for the dining but I truly think it is the MDR.

Posted (edited)

Wow!  I thought what the heck, I'll see if it lets me reserve a time in the MDR for the first night of our cruise -- no problem!  And they've added it to our itinerary. 

Edited to add that Celebrity lets you reserve before the cruise when you have "open dining" but they also let you choose the size table.  HAL apparently isn't adding that feature. 

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 1

Sadly, I don't care for the "pay" options.  Maybe it's a sign of the future, but I find it advertises items for sale which used to be included with your cruise fare.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Sadly, I don't care for the "pay" options.  Maybe it's a sign of the future, but I find it advertises items for sale which used to be included with your cruise fare.

Did you see my post just before yours?  I was able to reserve a table in the MDR for the first night of our cruise.  No charge.

28 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu Jacqui I saw this as well. Could it be Club Orange??

I am not Jacqui, but I doubt it is Club Orange. First the Club Orange menues state they are and also have an Orange banner on them. Plus for Club Orange the menu itself is the same with the exception of one and I think occaisionally two specialty items for only Club Orange. There was just one night on my last cruise (We were in a Neptune Suite) I remember that there was a Main Entree and a special Appetizer. I want to say another night they offered something extra for dessert and a different entree. But other than that the menu was exactly the same. Also in the past they did offer a few steaks that were from the Pinnacle Grill at an extra cost. Although I do not think they were that much, nor were there items such as Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail and Taste of Alaska. I guess this means HAL will not be offering any Shrimp Cocktails in the Main Dining Room. 

I guess we will find out 5 nights from tonight what the true story is for dining. I just hope they do infact update the Navigator App with the menus. Our last HAL cruise they kept telling us to check the Navigator App or our TV in our stateroom for menus but it was the same menu there the whole week.

• Like 3

Since I was able to reserve a dining time in the MDR for our upcoming cruise and we have Open Dining, I think HAL has finally made it possible to reserve MDR dining ahead of time like Celebrity.  I got an email confirmation and there was no charge.

19 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am not Jacqui, but I doubt it is Club Orange. First the Club Orange menues state they are and also have an Orange banner on them.

Completely agree, Lisa.  I went in on the cruise that I am not taking to look at the reservation and from the looks and description, it’s the dining room and just allowing you to book a time if you have Open Dining which I think is great!

• Like 3

I love the idea of being albe to make a reservation for Open Dining, the only problem I have with that is if I chose Open Dining it is because I am traveling with others, and we are not always sure as to what time we want to dine. We may not know till that day. I am sure by waiting till that day it will make it even harder to make reservations.

For our cruise this weekend we have fixed dining with request for table for two, but for September we are traveling with others and between plans to eat while in port and specialty dining it leaves only 1 to 2 nights that we will dine in the Main Dining Room so we did not want to tie up a table all week when we will hardly be there so we chose open dining. At this point itis a guess as to what time we will all want to eat. So to make a reservation now does not help us.

15 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

Am I understanding this correctly that when you reserve ahead of time there is a prompt for the size table you want?  We would love that.

No unfortunately there is not. 

Lisa

Everything you have posted so far has been extremely helpful.  A new world of crusing and we all need to have some ideas of what to expect.  I would like to know how the restaurant seating is accomplished. Social distancing? Mostly tables for two? Groups of those travelling together only at the larger tables?  And the Lido: blocked tables to achieve some distance between guest?  It will be interesting to hear about this.  Thanks for all your time and effort! Have a super time.

• Like 3

I read on one of the lines (forgot which one) for open dining you had to make a reservation.  In other words you couldn’t just walk up and request to be seated.  It was to limit congregating in the MDR lobby.  Not saying that’s the case here but am curious.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Lisa

Everything you have posted so far has been extremely helpful.  A new world of crusing and we all need to have some ideas of what to expect.  I would like to know how the restaurant seating is accomplished. Social distancing? Mostly tables for two? Groups of those travelling together only at the larger tables?  And the Lido: blocked tables to achieve some distance between guest?  It will be interesting to hear about this.  Thanks for all your time and effort! Have a super time.

I will definitely be reporting on this and also taking pictures to post so you may get a better idea. Although I am not sure a lot will be different than previous cruises but we shall see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I read on one of the lines (forgot which one) for open dining you had to make a reservation.  In other words you couldn’t just walk up and request to be seated.  It was to limit congregating in the MDR lobby.  Not saying that’s the case here but am curious.

My understanding is this is a new option on the Navigator App but not a requirement. This will be interesting to see how this works as well. All though since this first cruise is sailing at 50% occupancy  there may not be the crowds there will be in sailings 6 weeks from now.

8 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

On the Navigator App it appears to updated a menu that was not there previously. 
It is listed as tonight’s menu. Not sure it is truly tonight’s menu for those on board or if it is a sample menu. 
Sadly neither Tom and I were impressed and thinking we would go to the Lido with this menu.

266B1A2E-BDBF-4061-B4A9-1927EA803420.png

B88AE977-4513-486C-9DAE-9FD3B93ACEB3.png

There are extra price items in the MDR. This has been for some time.  The 75 dollar steak was Orlando's cut, as it was called.   It isn't like it was 20 years ago.

17 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow!  I thought what the heck, I'll see if it lets me reserve a time in the MDR for the first night of our cruise -- no problem!  And they've added it to our itinerary. 

Edited to add that Celebrity lets you reserve before the cruise when you have "open dining" but they also let you choose the size table.  HAL apparently isn't adding that feature. 

That is nice...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

For our cruise this weekend we have fixed dining with request for table for two, but for September we are traveling with others and between plans to eat while in port and specialty dining it leaves only 1 to 2 nights that we will dine in the Main Dining Room so we did not want to tie up a table all week when we will hardly be there so we chose open dining. 

This is so thoughtful of you!  One time we were at a table for 6 where one of the couples only showed up once and it was not as nice as normal, especially when the remaining couple had a specialty dinner.  Ever since, we have done like you and not reserved fixed if we are not planning on having most of our meals there - save the spot for someone who really wants it and often times cannot get it.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1