Worried about dining options on Magic

Hey everyone. We have a cruise booked on Magic over New Years for our first time on Magic. I'm starting to get a little concerned about dining options because our other ships have been Sunshine and Horizon which have tons of options. Please make me feel better about this book. I know a lot of you love this ship, so I'd love some reassurance. Thanks!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, blueskadoo said:

Hey everyone. We have a cruise booked on Magic over New Years for our first time on Magic. I'm starting to get a little concerned about dining options because our other ships have been Sunshine and Horizon which have tons of options. Please make me feel better about this book. I know a lot of you love this ship, so I'd love some reassurance. Thanks!!

I'm on Magic Sept 4, 2021 and my Cruise Manager shows Steakhouse, Cucina del Capitan and Chef's Table available under Specialty Dining. There are a number of included dining venues as well.  I hope that helps!

Maybe this will help.  In over 40 cruises I have NEVER had a hard time finding food I liked to eat somewhere - even on their smallest "ATION" ships.  And I am a foodie and appreciate GOOD food, not just qty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

You'll be fine.  We cruised on Magic two cruises in a row in part because we liked all the dining options, particularly the free/included options for lunch.  (We don't pay extra for specialty dining as a general rule.)    

Looking at the free/included dining options, you have   

• Guy's Burger Joint -- free for lunch, and until 6 pm 
  • Blue Iguana Cantina -- outstanding made-to-order burritos and tacos (also breakfast burritos, avoiding the usual buffet mayhem)
  • Cucina del Capitano -- free "Captain's Pasta Bar" for lunch.  GREAT option to avoid embark-day buffet crowding.   (It's $15 for dinner, a comparatively low price compared to other lines' specialty Italian restaurants.)
  • Mongolian Wok -- free for lunch, stir-fry made to order.  Get there early as the line understandably gets long.  One of my favorites along with lunch at Cucina.
  • Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ -- really good barbecue, free for lunch, on embark day and sea-days
  • Lido Marketplace (buffet) -- yer basic buffet.  Not sure how this will be handled under COVID.  Probably crew-served portions.  
  • Main Dining Room -- of course.  
  • Pizzeria del Capitano -- 24 hour free pizza.  I like 'em far more than RCCL's pizzas.  
  • Carnival Deli -- 11am to 11 pm.  Even after they changed the menu around a few years ago, I still liked this a lot.  Great hours, too.  
  • Swirls -- soft-serve ice-cream and frozen yogurt, 3 locations on Lido Deck.  At least one is generally open 24 hours.
  • Sea-Day Brunch -- this was actually one of the best meals we had on the ship

If you want to spend a bit more (but typically less than the competition) for specialty dining, you have:

• Steakhouse
  • Cucina del Capitano for dinner
  • Seafood Shack
  • Pizza Delivery (that's new for me, too)
  • Chef's Table 
  • Steakhouse selections (value-added dinner menu in the MDR)

Regarding room service, the website says "[t]here’s a menu of salads, sandwiches and sweet stuff we’ll bring you — completely free — during the day, plus hot food options available for a small fee. Late-night menu options (after 10 PM) are also available for a small fee."    I was happy enough with the free options on our last cruise.  

The TL;DR:   I doubt you'll starve.  😄  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:
  • Lido Marketplace (buffet) -- yer basic buffet.  Not sure how this will be handled under COVID.  Probably crew-served portions.  

This was an excellent report other than what I quoted above.  It should be very helpful to the OP as well as perhaps others following along.

About the buffet... statements by the company and first-hand reports from Carnival ships already sailing all say that the buffet is self-serve, as it always has been.  There's no reason to think it will change for ships that are resuming sailing.

Posted (edited)

"Worried" about finding food on a cruise ship? 🤣

I've never had any problem finding something to eat, even on the Fantasy-class ships that have no specialty restaurants.

Hmm.  MDR for breakfast?  Buffet?  Made-to-order omelet?  Maybe a breakfast burrito from Blue Iguana.  Maybe room service.  How about an early, light breakfast, then brunch on a sea day?

There are too many options!  And that's just on the old ships!  Eating 6 meals a day is what I'm "worried" about when I cruise!! 😉

Edit:  OK, I know I wasn't answering OP's question.  I just had to laugh when I read the title and couldn't stop myself from responding.  Just ignore me. 

Edited by NCTribeFan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

Unless you have specific dietary restrictions/expectation, or do not want to participate in the more casual dining of the Lido (or the MDR, possibly), you should be fine, as other have pointed out.  

I've sailed Sunshine and Breeze (sister to Magic), and we're booked on Magic in a couple of months.

I'm trying to think of what is not on Magic that is on Sunshine/Horizon, for example, and I can't come up with anything other than Bonzai Teppan (not on Magic nor Sunshine, but is on Horizon), and Magic has Guy's Pig & Anchor, which Sunshine does not. One has Mongolian Wok, the other has JiJi's Asian Kitchen (same overall theme).

Was there something you had in mind that we are all missing?

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful answers! I guess I was concerned because they didn't have Jiji's, the sushi place (sorry, I'm drawing a blank...but you guys know where I'm talking about) and when I read about the BBQ, I thought it was only lunch on sea days. Lunch is always wonderful and so many options, but dinner is the concern. I wish they kept Blue Iguana open at night! We had a poor experience at the MDR, the Seafood Shack and the Steakhouse on Horizon so Jiji's and Cucina were the staples for us that trip. We will definitely be giving them another try on Magic, and I sure hope we have chef's table back by then...we loved that experience! I know we won't starve...but its good to know if I need to plan ahead accordingly. Thanks again everyone and I'm so glad we can have these kinds of threads again too. 

Heh, I didn't quite notice that Magic doesn't have Bonsai Sushi (nor Bonsai Teppanyaki).  I took it for granted that the sushi joint is on all ships by now.

And Mongolian Wok is open only for lunch, vs JiJi's which also offers dinner.

So your concerns are somewhat legitimate, if those were particular favorites.

But interesting to hear you had bad experiences at the Steakhouse and Seafood Shack - anything in particular? 

The MDR I can kind of understand, if you don't like the atmosphere or get a waitstaff that is not on their game.

If you want to eat, there is food. Seafood Shack $, the pizza place, Blue Iguana, Guys Burger, the Mongolian place, Marketplace, Italian $, Steakhouse $, MDR, Red Frog Pub, the deli place, the noodle place, brunches, room service. I am pretty sure you won't go hungry

Does the Magic have the food options in the Red Frog Pub?  If so, what do you think about the options?  Just to confirm...the lunchtime BBQ is Guy's, not the generic version?  Also, no Bonsai Sushi?  That doesn't seem possible.  We are booked in October.  I have some food issues, so I like to know my options in advance.  Thanks! 

8 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Unless you're 100% vegan, Kosher or Halal, I can't see how anyone can have a problem finding food.

I’m sailing with a dear friend who is 100% vegan on Sensation this November. Don’t suppose anyone here is vegan or has sailed with a vegan and can help me out on what her options will be? It’s her first cruise and we picked a short one (5 days) since we are nervous about vegan options on a smaller boat. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I’m sailing with a dear friend who is 100% vegan on Sensation this November. Don’t suppose anyone here is vegan or has sailed with a vegan and can help me out on what her options will be? It’s her first cruise and we picked a short one (5 days) since we are nervous about vegan options on a smaller boat. 

My sister cruised with me in 2010 on a 3 day cruise and Carnival was great about Vegan AND gluten free issues.  Make sure you email the Special Needs at carnival and check in with the Maitre D at the beginning of your cruise.  My sister was so happy with the care that Carnival took with her.  We had a special attendant who would go over my sister's menu for the next dinner.  I was very impressed.

Edited by ninjacat123

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Vegan?

I was responding to the original question.   However, if anyone could make vegan BBQ taste great it would be Guy Fieri 😁

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

I was responding to the original question.   However, if anyone could make vegan BBQ taste great it would be Guy Fieri 😁

Gotcha! I agree, Guy could make vegan BBQ awesome!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

My sister cruised with me in 2010 on a 3 day cruise and Carnival was great about Vegan AND gluten free issues.  Make sure you email the Special Needs at carnival and check in with the Maitre D at the beginning of your cruise.  My sister was so happy with the care that Carnival took with her.  We had a special attendant who would go over my sister's menu for the next dinner.  I was very impressed.

Wow that sounds awesome! I will make sure we do that (email Special Needs and check in with Maitre D). Can you get the special attendant to go over the dinner menus even if you are doing Your Time Dining?

Just now, TravelBluebird said:

Wow that sounds awesome! I will make sure we do that (email Special Needs and check in with Maitre D). Can you get the special attendant to go over the dinner menus even if you are doing Your Time Dining?

That I don't know, but I bet Carnival can take care of that as well.  Just let them know ahead of time.  I hope you all have a wonderful cruise!

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

I'm vegetarian and gluten free.. so not vegan but definitely dietary restrictions. Blue Iguana will make vegan burritos and tacos, Guy's has a vegan burger, the MDR will make vegan options (there are two or three veggie options a night and you can order a night ahead to make them dairy/egg/meat free. There's also options for breakfast for both on port days (masala dosas are my favorite here!), and sea day brunch. The pizza place will make a pizza without cheese, and there's plenty of salads in the buffet. If you have a sushi place on board, they'll make veggie sushi as well. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but when I go on a cruise I worry about dining options too. Too many dining options that is! Eating too much and feeling like a beached whale is my problem, not, not finding enough to eat. 😂

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Maybe it's just me but when I go on a cruise I worry about dining options too. Too many dining options that is! Eating too much and feeling like a beached whale is my problem, not, not finding enough to eat. 😂

You bet!  I'm always wanting to try everything and that's what's fun about a cruise for me.  I was so happy Carnival took care of my sister so she could enjoy her cruise as well.  Carnival rocks!

2 hours ago, EMOSEA said:

I'm vegetarian and gluten free.. so not vegan but definitely dietary restrictions. Blue Iguana will make vegan burritos and tacos, Guy's has a vegan burger, the MDR will make vegan options (there are two or three veggie options a night and you can order a night ahead to make them dairy/egg/meat free. There's also options for breakfast for both on port days (masala dosas are my favorite here!), and sea day brunch. The pizza place will make a pizza without cheese, and there's plenty of salads in the buffet. If you have a sushi place on board, they'll make veggie sushi as well. 

That really does sound wonderful, and several good choices. I will pass this information on to my friend!

• Like 1