Closed Loop cruise

21 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We completed our on line check in on the app and selected Drivers License and Birth Certificate.  Completed check in, got our boarding time and our boarding passes.  When I tried to do it on the computer it defaulted to Passport and I could not change it. Planned on calling Celebrity but checked and was able to do it on the app.

Excellent! We’ve used the app for the past couple cruises anyway, so this is great news. Thank you😊

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I received my renewed passport yesterday, and DH's is expected tomorrow🤞

It took 14.5 weeks from the day they received my application (which I had sent via overnight USPS priority mail per instructions) to the day I received my renewed passport (they had sent it 1-day UPS air). Be aware that our applications were not shown in their system for the first 6 weeks, and they did not seem to count those 6 weeks as part of the predicted - at the time we applied -  8 weeks for expedited renewal.

Based on our experience, I would definitely recommend springing for expedited renewal unless you'll have no need for your passport for at least six months.

Best of luck to those of you who are still waiting. I hope you'll receive them soon!

7 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Update: I received my renewed passport yesterday, and DH's is expected tomorrow🤞

It took 14.5 weeks from the day they received my application (which I had sent via overnight USPS priority mail per instructions) to the day I received my renewed passport (they had sent it 1-day UPS air). Be aware that our applications were not shown in their system for the first 6 weeks, and they did not seem to count those 6 weeks as part of the predicted - at the time we applied -  8 weeks for expedited renewal.

Based on our experience, I would definitely recommend springing for expedited renewal unless you'll have no need for your passport for at least six months.

Best of luck to those of you who are still waiting. I hope you'll receive them soon!

That was WITH expedited renewal?? 😳

We'll never get ours before our Nov cruise. 

Why do I think that the govt is using covid as an excuse to be even more inefficient and slow than ever before?  A couple of weeks ago, I had a 2-day priority mail package take 5 days to travel from the Chicago area to the Detroit area. 

13 minutes ago, D C said:

That was WITH expedited renewal?? 😳

We'll never get ours before our Nov cruise. 

Why do I think that the govt is using covid as an excuse to be even more inefficient and slow than ever before?  A couple of weeks ago, I had a 2-day priority mail package take 5 days to travel from the Chicago area to the Detroit area. 

Yes, it has been rather unnerving and frustrating. I was ready to cancel my booking before I learned that I could use my birth certificate and driver’s license for a closed loop cruise! 

When did you mail your application? I’m sure each processing center experiences fluctuations so your experience could be better than ours. Fingers crossed that you receive yours soon.

On 7/20/2021 at 2:46 PM, Lindancer said:

Sorry to say I booked this with *****  The woman is no expert on documentation and just got back from a 14 month layoff due to Covid.  She also gave me wrong info from the get-go, when she told me that the insurance policy was "cancel for any reason" when it turned out it was cancel for medical reasons only.  So you can understand why I don't know who to believe anymore.

Final word thanks to everyone's advice:  I am NOT going to renew my grandson's passport since it is valid to May 22, 2022 (5 1/2 months after cruise ends).  But I will bring it along, along with his birth certicate and government issued ID (driver's license).

From what I read on NCL's website, this should do the trick!!

Thanks everyone!

I think you will be fine with your plan. You meet the requirements for a closed loop cruise and having a valid passport (even though less than 6 month left) is a back up plan for getting back to the USA in the event of an emergency requiring a flight back to the US. 

17 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Yes, it has been rather unnerving and frustrating. I was ready to cancel my booking before I learned that I could use my birth certificate and driver’s license for a closed loop cruise! 

When did you mail your application? I’m sure each processing center experiences fluctuations so your experience could be better than ours. Fingers crossed that you receive yours soon.

Our township clerk handed the mailing.

Forms filled out July 7th.  

"Received" by the State Dept July 30th

We'll see how it goes.