The Daily for Tuesday July 20, 2021

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach.

Suppose to rain later, but who knows? The weather people never seem to get it right. Although our little section of the world is a little different. We can see it raining across the river but it doesnt  make it across. It is really amazing sometimes to watch.

Love ice cream sodas, especially root beer. We had an elderly friend who used to make the best ones. They gave us lolipops after we had our covid vaccine. 

Never been to todays port, looking forward to pictures.

I am back on plant watering duty for vacationing friends. I had them bring them here ( all house plants) . I have them all lined up, looks like a greenhouse. it will be easier than going over there, turning off alarms etc.

Special prayers for everyone on our list , especially Vanessa @JazzyV Hope she has a very successful surgery.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Mask wearing and social distancing were no longer required from yesterday in England and we had 50,000 new cases yesterday.

Fortunately most people myself included still wore a mask in  indoor settings early yesterday morning 

Our Reverend will text us about church requirements for masks etc in the next few days.

Graham.

I think you were wise to wear your mask, Graham 👍 

Very considerate of you to protect others.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites.  Of all things today, I'll take the Bloody Margaret.

Up early here waiting to see Jeff Bezos blast off into space.  I have a friend from childhood who is a true genius and worked on the Space Shuttle.  He always said that the space program is necessary for us to carry on.  

We stopped at  Argostoli, Cephalonia in 2017 on Westerdam.  Unique to that area is that it was destroyed by an earthquake and all rebuilt in the 1950s -- well-rebuilt.  It's clean and pretty.

An easy port stop, too.  No tender -- just step off the ship and walk into a charming shopping town to the left and pretty beach walk to the right.  We dipped our toes in the Med here.

I have a couple photos to illustrate the look of the place.  I'll try to get them posted.

Thanks, Rich, for our Daily.  Thanks to all other contributors, too.  Sending best wishes for all, and I'll try to get those couple photos up.

• Like 23

Posted (edited)

Good morning from central Texas.  We're under a dense fog advisory until 10am, but the ssun is out.  

An interesting collection of days.  I was never very good at chess, and the chess set now belongs to DSIL.  DH likes ice cream sodas and coke floats, but I also prefer root beer floats.  It's been years since I had a lollipop.

I like the quote of the day.  The meal is one I'll check into as it would be good for our two vegetarians.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

@mamaofami  Carol, it is good news that Sam's wants to do things and is in good spirits.  Enjoy your walk today.

We have been to Argostoli twice pm a BHB.  Our first visit was in 2008 on the Prinsendam.  That day, we took a tour to Lake of Melissani and the cave.  It's a long walk down to the lake and the cave, and seems like a longer walk back up to the bus.  Once at the lake, you board a large row boat for a tour of the lake and the cave.  I'm glad we did this tour when we did, as the lake and cave have become very popular, with long lines even for tour buses.

IMG_4098.thumb.JPG.6f55991e515305a498f123c6fa4671ac.JPG

IMG_4102.thumb.JPG.d21890475588fcfee75a9ca349f1ca2d.JPG

IMG_4114.thumb.JPG.089175a6a8956b3efaa74957ce9b5e78.JPG

From the cave, we drove to a fishing village whose name I don't remember.  On the way, we stopped at an overlook to see one of the prettiest beaches on the island.  The bus driver did not attempt the windy road down to the beach.

IMG_4120.thumb.JPG.2ef2e5cf5534d5b76263e36e78b2ba3f.JPG

The fishing village, which was also our shopping stop.

IMG_4133.thumb.JPG.0e4f467d497d2fa9f7b7d6bcc3f7eda1.JPG

IMG_4138.thumb.JPG.db989e10724d16c2b3c8d9f18fea207d.JPG

Arogostoli from the Prinsendam as we sailed to the next port.

IMG_4146.thumb.JPG.d5212528e9b7a12295c46804866fc8dd.JPG

IMG_4147.thumb.JPG.8e9ea93cf6f1085257fde0bf96c1146d.JPG

Eleven years later, the Veendam took us back to Argostoli.  This time we just walked around the town.  The main tourist/shopping area is flat and easy walking.  This was a nce relaxing day.

DSC06408.thumb.JPG.5d13bb953e832912cf8b01714875183a.JPG

DSC06411.thumb.JPG.ec8622dae08024438e588a635b46c9f5.JPG

DSC06414.thumb.JPG.ff7228e23ef06b1f397bbfb536327397.JPG

DSC06415.thumb.JPG.eba24df49d8a6b31b4bdda445dd12fa2.JPG

DSC06416.thumb.JPG.db87c21c6783d0a321bf619bb35ab8fc.JPG

DSC06417.thumb.JPG.179da7a3968b664eda192f7c31dfb3a2.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Rich thanks for the Daily. Roy hope all goes well with jabs and doctor visit. Ann I hope your primary has good news on your knee.

Last night had one heck of a storm. The rain blew the whole way across our patio.

Today is an easy one. Just a half hour stretch zone for Allen. 

I've already booked airline, hotel, dinners, laundry, water, etc for the upcoming cruise, although while doing so still felt... uneasy? Anyone else feel this way?Looking forward to pictures of the Rotterdam from CC'rs. 

Lots of ice cream treats this week. Never found lollipops to be as good as a candy bar if I had a choice. I used to play chess with my family.. 

image.png.d7defebd83d7510840cd6eec7c8356a8.png

Blessings, Cheers and Prayers.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We stopped at Argostoli in 2008 while aboard the Rotterdam.  Our tour primarily centered on a visit to a nearby cave.

EAFBAFAD-30AE-411B-B7C5-2C2F32771FA8.thumb.jpeg.e5987fa99cd2a2f9f450beff6457118f.jpeg

2FE3930E-6CDE-450A-946C-9BBAE01EFF36.thumb.jpeg.e2f1ae194496933e85663b8e9860ca67.jpeg

ED167EB4-D7B8-4B56-93DA-8C4EC2274103.thumb.jpeg.bde9fa2a7cc1819ae380c034cf47c0f0.jpeg

F58F7021-64C6-42A7-810A-358B0748D0C0.thumb.jpeg.0cb4d56136775d7475089794c3716273.jpeg

0C886C54-E09C-4882-AC5B-15DB83635BBE.thumb.jpeg.2f22cb672aeeb70813383b67b07d62cc.jpeg

E28F6250-3228-42EC-BB55-D514ECB946F3.thumb.jpeg.576a32e2d7133fc9b916f324ee31377b.jpeg

7F0219A1-E9F0-4F83-8982-2B1C142D9BC9.thumb.jpeg.5080ad1f49ed7a1b5fc969a205160c8a.jpeg

22405943-012A-4061-94F7-BB94B8B4B2C8.thumb.jpeg.7325f4865c535286376298d3c1cc0466.jpeg

64CE2D12-9790-4E5A-9EC3-D4F5F79BA260.thumb.jpeg.f4929fff589d72c2970765afe5026320.jpeg

6F76C09E-B5B0-469A-A5F6-633587944123.thumb.jpeg.b9de77b047e026ed7013afdef7e4eb5d.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

@Seasick Sailor, yes to feeling uneasy about cruise vacation planning.  There are many unknowns, but forging ahead anyhow.  It just somehow seems important to keep positive and forward-thinking.  I've made up my mind not to be disappointed if plans unravel.

Well, they are popping the champagne after the Blue Origin came back to earth.  Success!

And right about now,  @JazzyVVanessa is going in for eye surgery.  Sending prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery.  🙏  🙏  🙏

• Like 21

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Grand Alaska-Panama cruise starting with Alaska on Volendam, land, and Westerdam and continuing on Crystal Symphony through the Panama Canal to New York.  On July 20 I toured the Tracy Arm Fjord from the Volendam:

dawn0720.jpg

Roy

• Like 27

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Any report from your primary doctor?

Roy

Not really, Roy. All my vitals are good. Lost a bit of weight. I can stop the blood thinner and I have an appointment with an orthopedic guru on July 30th.

That was the first available, and I will be three weeks into my cast wearing by then. Hope he agrees with the Icelandic orthopedic guru’s assessment.

I realize how lucky I am. So many other things could have happened. 

Today I tackle my travel insurance claim. I might need some wine tonight. 😉

Glad that you won’t lose your tooth and it it is not an emergency, rush root canal. Keeping you in my prayers. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks so much for your photos of Argostoli @Mtn2Sea.  They're great! 

Does anyone else see the image of a face in these rocks in the cave?  Bottom, center.64CE2D12-9790-4E5A-9EC3-D4F5F79BA260.thumb.jpeg.f4929fff589d72c2970765afe5026320.jpeg

Definitely!

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Today I tackle my travel insurance claim. I might need some wine tonight. 😉

You are not only going to need wine, you’re going to deserve it!  

Best to bite the bullet though and get it done and off.  Good for you 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

JazzyVVanessa is going in for eye surgery.  Sending prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery.  🙏  🙏  🙏

Adding my prayers to yours 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I learned how to play chess in high school, but wasn't very good at it.  At the beginning of the pandemic lockdown, DH and I watched The Queen's Gambit and quite enjoyed it.  I love ice cream sodas - the real ones aren't super sweet, even a chocolate soda; give me an orange float anytime, though!  I don't recall the last time I had a lollipop, so maybe it's time to relive my youth!

A grey, cloudy, foggy day here on the "frozen tundra" today.  Parts of the south had blessed rain overnight - let's hope the clouds continue north with their moisture, as it's desperately needed.  I need to make a quick run to the grocery store today, and to pick up DH's meds, but I think I might just make a batch of chili and freeze it for when our visitors come next month.

Sending prayers for @JazzyV's successful eye surgery.

I'm going to ask for extra prayers for a friend who, after successfully battling cancer for several years, has had a recurrence and will be undergoing a double mastectomy to save her life in August.  Thank you.

I forgot to mention I made raspberry cupcakes yesterday and they were a hit!  I packed some up and walked them over to a senior couple living on our block and they were delighted with them.  Instead of a heavy icing, I used Dream Whip, and they were quite nice.

DH has been making noises about not having had a burrito bowl for a while, so I'm thinking that's what we'll be picking up for dinner tonight.  That means no cooking, just good food.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I'm going to ask for extra prayers for a friend who, after successfully battling cancer for several years, has had a recurrence and will be undergoing a double mastectomy to save her life in August.  Thank you.

Oh dear 😔. Prayers are winging their way for your friend. 🙏🏻. So sad

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks so much for your photos of Argostoli @Mtn2Sea.  They're great! 

Does anyone else see the image of a face in these rocks in the cave?  Bottom, center.64CE2D12-9790-4E5A-9EC3-D4F5F79BA260.thumb.jpeg.f4929fff589d72c2970765afe5026320.jpeg

Yes.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I learned how to play chess in high school, but wasn't very good at it.  At the beginning of the pandemic lockdown, DH and I watched The Queen's Gambit and quite enjoyed it.  I love ice cream sodas - the real ones aren't super sweet, even a chocolate soda; give me an orange float anytime, though!  I don't recall the last time I had a lollipop, so maybe it's time to relive my youth!

A grey, cloudy, foggy day here on the "frozen tundra" today.  Parts of the south had blessed rain overnight - let's hope the clouds continue north with their moisture, as it's desperately needed.  I need to make a quick run to the grocery store today, and to pick up DH's meds, but I think I might just make a batch of chili and freeze it for when our visitors come next month.

Sending prayers for @JazzyV's successful eye surgery.

I forgot to mention I made raspberry cupcakes yesterday and they were a hit!  I packed some up and walked them over to a senior couple living on our block and they were delighted with them.  Instead of a heavy icing, I used Dream Whip, and they were quite nice.

DH has been making noises about not having had a burrito bowl for a while, so I'm thinking that's what we'll be picking up for dinner tonight.  That means no cooking, just good food.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Sending our prayers to your friend and hopefully the operation does save her life.

After several years battling cancer she deserves some good fortune.🙏🤞.

Graham 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I think you were wise to wear your mask, Graham 👍 

Very considerate of you to protect others.

Thank you Kazu 

I believe we should all wear masks in indoor settings while the Delta variant is so virulent.

Fortunately I have had both Pfizer vaccine jabs and Pauline both Astrazeneca jabs.

I had covid19 in November 2020 and was in bed at home for 4 weeks sleeping 21 hours a day and Pauline said I was very poorly so I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I went through.

Graham 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I've already booked airline, hotel, dinners, laundry, water, etc for the upcoming cruise, although while doing so still felt... uneasy? Anyone else feel this way?

Definitely!  We made the final payment yesterday on our September Mediterranean cruise.  Shortly after, more bad news about the Delta variant came out.  At least we have another 30 days to back out, although that means HAL keeps our money and we get the chance to figure out how to spend some credits.

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yes

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I've already booked airline, hotel, dinners, laundry, water, etc for the upcoming cruise, although while doing so still felt... uneasy? Anyone else feel this way?Looking forward to pictures of the Rotterdam from CC'rs. 

Joy, we have two cruises booked, one for May 2022 and one for June 2023.  Both are out of Sydney, and with the surge in cases in Australia due to the Delta variant, I haven't gotten excited about the cruises.  The most I've done is look at the offered shore excursions and checked in on line.  I have not been comfortable with booking tours or anything for the cruises.  We are pretty doubtful that the 2022 cruise will sail as it is the Princess world cruise from Sydney.  There is a slight hope for 2023.

25 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, good thoughts for your friend, and hope the surgery does save her life.

@JazzyV  Wishing Vanessa a successful and uneventful surgery today.

@kazu  With the new variant, we are rethinking wearing our masks indoors even though we both had two Pfizer shots  As more and more breakthrough cases are occurring, we don't want to taka a chance on getting Covid or unintentionally passing it on to someone else.  I've begun keeping my mask in my purse instead of in the car so it's handy if I need it.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1