The Daily for Tuesday July 20, 2021

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

We never had a lockdown here.  We could not go to restaurants for a time, and we had the mask mandate and social distancing.  I live in the Matanuska Susitna Valley in Alaska.  The total land area is 25,000 square miles. The population is 3.5 people per square mile.  Total Covid deaths here are 60.  When I hear about the lockdowns that are still going on in various places, it's hard to imagine and my heart goes out to everyone.  

We adapted to it pretty well.  But we're also more stay home people, I think it was much harder on the younger generations or people that need 24/7 entertainment.  All that pent up desire added fuel to the social unrest last year and why I think many places are reluctant to closing everything up again. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, garlictown said:

👍Latest info for my state:

According to the California Department of Public Health, the virus is spreading statewide at a 7-day average daily rate of 6.3 cases per 100,000 people among the unvaccinated, but at a rate of 1.1 per 100,000 people among the vaccinated.

Vaccines remain the best protection against COVID-19, including the highly infectious Delta variant,” the CDPH said in a statement Friday. “As we continue to see the real and aggressive impact of the Delta variant in rising case rates, we cannot stress enough how critical it is for eligible individuals to get vaccinated.”

I actually find this pretty scary.  It suggests to me that it is getting close to time for a booster.  Hopefully, those statistics are just for cases and do not reflect relative hospitalizations.  Not yet time to give up masks with that variant.

Roy

• Like 17

Good morning,  hard to catch up even though for me I’m not that late ! 

We really enjoyed beautiful Kefalonia!   It’s where the novel Captain Cornelli’s Mandolin is set.  If you saw the film version you would think the colour of the water is not  real.   It is the most amazing shade of cerulean blue.   We were fortunate to stay there for nearly a week,   Highly recommended!  We love Greece, particularly the islands and the people and have spent many happy months exploring this part of the world and staying on many different islands.   It’s a totally different experience than cruising.   

a photo of our downtown with all the smoke!  Please I need a sea view! 

8DFCCE1A-2D02-4290-B8D5-A31205C7E872.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

Yes! on the face, also there is a horse at the top, at least to my eyes.

I'm not able to pick out the horse unfortunately.  

This is sort of like looking at clouds and seeing things in the shapes.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm not able to pick out the horse unfortunately.  

This is sort of like looking at clouds and seeing things in the shapes.

I saw something kind of horse-shaped at the top -- and definitely the face.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

There are already articles and letters in the paper expressing excitement that soon our neighbours in the US will be able to visit,  also chagrin that we will not be allowed to go south!  I wonder if that will change soon.  

Yes we too are wondering,  I have a very elderly aunt who I haven’t been able to see for too long now! 

• Like 10

Hi everyone!  I have a question for my Daily family. 

We normally don’t eat at any of the specialty restaurants on board for dinner, the most we do is lunch in the PG or Tamarind. But now with the free dinner one evening as part of our package I want to reserve early. 

So my question is how does one decide which night to book?  We don’t want to miss anything special in the MDR.  Any suggestions or thoughts?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm going to ask for extra prayers for a friend who, after successfully battling cancer for several years, has had a recurrence and will be undergoing a double mastectomy to save her life in August.  Thank you.

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Up early here waiting to see Jeff Bezos blast off into space.  I have a friend from childhood who is a true genius and worked on the Space Shuttle.  He always said that the space program is necessary for us to carry on.  

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Well, they are popping the champagne after the Blue Origin came back to earth.  Success!

Ever since the Challenger disaster, I cannot watch a lift-off. Glad everything went alright. I’ll catch it on the news later… I’m sure they’ll replay it all day. 

• Like 12

Thought I would expand on what is involved with dealing with the VA.  I have a severe hearing loss caused by being in a 5 inch gun mount and too close to F-4 Phantom jets during the Vietnam war and the VA provides my hearing aids.  It has been 5 years since the last fitting and I need to see an audiologist to adjust or replace them.  They were initially fitted by a local audiologist and I wanted to return to that clinic.  I checked with our local VA clinic and was told I had to call the VA hospital for a referral and they gave me the number.  I was put on hold for 45 minutes and then just cut off.  I wasn't going to give up, so immediately called back.  This time I was on hold for a little over an hour, then got a computer message "we are having problems with our system, please call back later".  At that point I gave up.  A week later I saw the doctor at our local VA clinic and asked her for a referral.  She eventually got them to mail me a referral, but to a different local clinic.  I called a different number on the referral sheet and finally got a helpful VA person who got in contact with my local audiologist and got me an appointment.  I saw the audiologist, got tested, and they have ordered a new set of hearing aids for me.  The whole process took about a month.  I have another disability caused by Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam but luckily the treatment for it is taken care of by Tricare as I am retired from the Navy.  I will see my oncologist this Friday for my annual exam.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Hi everyone!  I have a question for my Daily family. 

We normally don’t eat at any of the specialty restaurants on board for dinner, the most we do is lunch in the PG or Tamarind. But now with the free dinner one evening as part of our package I want to reserve early. 

So my question is how does one decide which night to book?  We don’t want to miss anything special in the MDR.  Any suggestions or thoughts?

Usually the best dinner in the MDR is served on Formal Night.  So I would not book the Pinnacle Grill on that night.

• Like 9

Morning to some and afternoon to others so - G'day!

In the summer or '59 a friend and I together learned chess and tennis. He was a lot more intelligent than I but I was more atheletic than he. We began each day getting together and playing tennis. We had good, competitive matches but I always manages to beat him. Then we wold go back home and play chess. We wold always have good, competitive matches but he always manages to beat me. Over the summer we both got quite a bit better at each but then his family moved away. I never played very much chess or tennis after that. 

Not very fond of Muscat wines. They are too sweet for me so I will pass. I love chilli, especially innovative versions of it. Ray has my interest in Duck a l'orange. I love that and haven't had it in a long time.

I hope all of you are vaccinated. This new varient is more than a little scary. 

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

@mamaofami Dear Dad is V.A. and I could write volumes on that bureaucratic mess, the primary is usually pretty good about calling back, but the specialty clinics are another matter.  I will say they are very good to caregivers and the home health program once you dig through the layers of red tape.

Bruno, do you know about the VA’s respite care program for the caregiver? My parents used it once (that’s all we could convince my mom to use it). Dad liked it so much he didn’t want to come home! 😁

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thought I would expand on what is involved with dealing with the VA.

Sounds typical of what DH has encountered with his dealings with the VA.  Thankfully we also have Tricare, it's a Godsend.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I used to love root beer floats but haven’t had one in a while. In fact, my first “real” job was as an A & W car hop in 1970. I made 90 cents an hour. They used real glass mugs for the root beer, and boy those trays were heavy when filled with drinks. Thank goodness not on roller skates!

@Seasick Sailor, Joy, yes I feel uneasy about sailing again. Probably because I’ve had 5 canceled/rescheduled cruises and keep wondering if it will happen again. I think I’ll feel better when I read some of the reports from the first cruises.  ⛴

@kazuI’m with you about cooking. I am tired of trying to think of new things to make and also tired of making things that are too involved. I have a freezer full of food waiting for inspiration. 😉

We have been to Greece but not today’s port. Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. And I also see the face in the rocks, crazy!

Tomorrow is Craig’s birthday and I’m trying to think of something special to make. I might even make a cake. 🎂 Maybe one of those raspberry versions. 🍰🧁

Have a great day everyone!

Happy birthday wishes for Craig tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 7

Referencing the Covid variants and getting vaccinated.  I have some information to share about DMIL's senior living facility.  In June we were able to visit her while spending time in Missouri, and our DS, his wife and our DGS were able to visit right after we did.

Then on July 6 the Director sent an email out to family members to let us know that a resident and an employee had tested positive for Covid, after the resident had a visit from a family member who was unvaccinated and not feeling well which they kept to themselves. The employee had spent time with the visitor explaining some information about the resident.  Both the resident and the employee had been vaccinated with Moderna last winter.  

Then six days later on July 12 two more residents and one employee, fully vaccinated, came back with positive results on their test.  The employee had tested negative several times over the prior 6 days.  Unfortunately the lab does not test for variants so we don't know that it's the Delta variant. 

On July 18 the Director reported that last weekend 3 more residents and 3 more employees as well as 1 clinical employee had tested positive, had all been fully vaccinated, but all had mild symptoms.  I've heard of no one hospitalized or dying.  

Visitation has been restricted again the past two weeks.  

I'm hoping the scientists are working on this variant and how to protect everyone.  I wish everyone who is able to would get vaccinated to prevent spreading the virus to others.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

On July 18 the Director reported that last weekend 3 more residents and 3 more employees as well as 1 clinical employee had tested positive, had all been fully vaccinated, but all had mild symptoms.  I've heard of no one hospitalized or dying.  

How awful!  Thank goodness no one has been hospitalized or died.  Wondering, are visitors required to wear masks at least?  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning,  hard to catch up even though for me I’m not that late ! 

We really enjoyed beautiful Kefalonia!   It’s where the novel Captain Cornelli’s Mandolin is set.  If you saw the film version you would think the colour of the water is not  real.   It is the most amazing shade of cerulean blue.   We were fortunate to stay there for nearly a week,   Highly recommended!  We love Greece, particularly the islands and the people and have spent many happy months exploring this part of the world and staying on many different islands.   It’s a totally different experience than cruising.   

a photo of our downtown with all the smoke!  Please I need a sea view! 

8DFCCE1A-2D02-4290-B8D5-A31205C7E872.jpeg

I hope this sea view helps.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210614_152054.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

How awful!  Thank goodness no one has been hospitalized or died.  Wondering, are visitors required to wear masks at least?  

One point I forgot is the first visitor who wasn't feeling well was tested at that time and was positive too.  So they brought the virus into the facility and from there it has spread.  Rules were all visitors had to fill out a form, and wear masks in the public spaces.  If visiting with your loved one in their room you could remove your mask.  

Back in the beginning of the pandemic we had temps taken, wore masks and PPE smocks in the facility, and you could even wear latex gloves if you wanted to.  All were provided by the nursing facility.  Rules were eased up this summer due to no cases being found, everyone living there being vaccinated, and MOST employees vaccinated from what I heard.  But even vaccinated we can catch the virus, and may not even know we have it because we don't have symptoms.  Hopefully booster shots will be helpful in stopping the spread.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I actually find this pretty scary.  It suggests to me that it is getting close to time for a booster.  Hopefully, those statistics are just for cases and do not reflect relative hospitalizations.  Not yet time to give up masks with that variant.

Roy

Ditto.  But the scientists couldn't even get any dialogue going about boosters, the government immediately shushed them, which I've had a bad feeling about ever since.  

• Like 9