The Daily for Tuesday July 20, 2021

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I hope I'm not starting to lose it.  Just back from Oncologist.  My appointment was tomorrow.  That will be 2 busy days, Rehab and Oncologist tomorrow, Rehab and Primary Thursday.

Roy

Aww!  I think with Covid the days blend together, I wouldn’t worry.   I almost did the same thing, I thought my appointment was today but it was yesterday,  good thing I double checked.  

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I have been cruising on Hal since 2007 and have never seen a Dutch night. Anyone know when it ended?

The Dutch nights I remember were usually the last formal/Gala dinner.  Back in the day it was also the parade of Baked Alaska and the swirling napkins.  I loved it and I really miss it.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I hope I'm not starting to lose it.  Just back from Oncologist.  My appointment was tomorrow.  That will be 2 busy days, Rehab and Oncologist tomorrow, Rehab and Primary Thursday.

Roy

Better a day early than a day late!  🙂  

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Happy Birthday to Craig!  

About the specialty dining, you might think about days when choosing your time to dine will make the day nicer -- like after a long excursion, so you have time to unwind before dinner, or maybe a sailaway that you want to enjoy at your own pace.

Us, we eat like senior citizens -- early, fixed dining -- so we almost always do Pinnacle the first night so we can enjoy the sailaway.   By now, I can pretty well guess when the gala nights will be.  We enjoy those in MDR, so don't book specialty restaurants then.  Some people don't like gala in MDR, though.

Anyhow, many different ways to enjoy your trip.

Thank you Maxine.  I also love the Gala Nights in the MDR, although we are late diners even though we are seniors.  All those days of working late took it's toll and I never could adjust to eating early.  I think I'm going to go with the last night for the specialty dinner.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for Craig, I'll let him know.  Can't wait for our October cruise, we have many things to celebrate!

• Like 12

Okay Dailyites, I just discovered another unique feature.  When you quote someone you can go back to that original post by clicking the little arrow in the right upper corner of the quote.  Who knew?  I was always scrolling and scrolling.  This is so much easier!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Just popping in with an update.

Thanks so much every one for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it. This was not a walk in the park. The doctor said the lens was like cement, so getting it out took a while. I was quite uncomfortable during the procedure and tried to say something, but I couldn't get the words out for some reason. The cornea was floppy, so she had to put stitches in it, which will come out in a week. Anyway, I'm home. Still in some discomfort, so I'll take some Tylenol as advised. I had better vision earlier right after surgery, but now it seems more cloudy. Not sure what that's all about. This is an eye that was an undetected lazy eye as a child, so the vision won't be great without glasses anyway. I have to go in for a follow up tomorrow.

I'll catch up on the posts at some point this evening.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

54 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

It must have been between 2004 and 2007 then, because I remember at least once since our first cruise in 2004 (unless my memory is way off!)

Thanks!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks so much every one for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it. This was not a walk in the park. The doctor said the lens was like cement, so getting it out took a while. I was quite uncomfortable during the procedure and tried to say something, but I couldn't get the words out for some reason. The cornea was floppy, so she had to put stitches in it, which will come out in a week. Anyway, I'm home. Still in some discomfort, so I'll take some Tylenol as advised. I had better vision earlier right after surgery, but now it seems more cloudy. Not sure what that's all about. This is an eye that was an undetected lazy eye as a child, so the vision won't be great without glasses anyway. I have to go in for a follow up tomorrow.

We'll keep you in our thoughts, Vanessa.   I'm sorry there was so much discomfort.  Hopefully the cloudiness is temporary.

• Like 12

Reading about various stories about the dining room.  For the last 18 yrs always had late fixed dinning I’m thinking as solo I may prefer fixed earlier. I enjoy having the same servers throughout the cruise. Is that possible. When I asked Hal rep she said no.  

• Like 6

We always had fixed dining on HAL, so I'm not sure. But on NCL we could specifically request a server, even though they rotated positions. One cruise, we sat in every section of the MDR, just to follow our guy!

Just an update, I've decided to book the NA, SD to FLL in October. Thank you all for your encouragement! I'm just waiting on my PCC to call back. I think he may have been on the test cruise, so it's taking him a while to work through his return calls....

I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon & asked my MD about cruising. She encouraged me as well. As long as most passengers & crew were vaccinated, she thinks it will be ok. And it was good to hear that the courts ruled for the CDC over the state of FL - Yay!

• Like 16

3 hours ago, jimgev said:

First, Thank you for your service. I was in the reserves but never saw active duty. So I can appreciate those who did.

In my career, I was the administrator of a public mental health program. One of the things I did was to train people who had recovered from serious mental health issues to become peer counselors.

I contacted our regional VA office and offered them free training of returene veterans who cold then reach out to other returning vets to be sure they got connections and services for PTSD and other related problems. The VA refused to work with me sayig that they had their own systems. MEanwhile the suicide rate for retutning vets is horrific. They are just a difficult beauracracy to deal with.

Jim

Jim

I appreciate your wanting to help returning veterans with mental health issues.  I think that if you were to contact some of the volunteer agencies that already exist, such as Disabled American Veterans, they would have been much more responsive and easier to deal with.  When I was diagnosed with leukemia I contacted the VA and they told me that the DAV would help me with the claim.  They did and were extremely helpful.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I'm  sorry things didn't go as smoothly as you hoped.  You are probably relieved it is behind you.  IIRC, when DH had his cataract surgery, it took sometime for his vision to clear.  Take it easy and get some rest.

Lenda 

• Like 9

Just now, USN59-79 said:

Jim

I appreciate your wanting to help returning veterans with mental health issues.  I think that if you were to contact some of the volunteer agencies that already exist, such as Disabled American Veterans, they would have been much more responsive and easier to deal with.  When I was diagnosed with leukemia I contacted the VA and they told me that the DAV would help me with the claim.  They did and were extremely helpful.

Yes.This was ten+ years ago when I was still working. 

at that time I was a certified instructer and had a salaried position. I was able to offer the training on my own time with no additional cost to any official government entity. The fact that the VA just ignored the offer for a free service which could help hundreds of vets just blew me away.

It showed me how self-preserving they were at the expense of meeting the needs of the vets they wee supposed to be helping.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Jim

The DAV is a terrific resource!!  Helped hubby way more than any other agency.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

So sorry to hear what has happened at your mother in law's senior living facility.

I absolutely agree that everyone should be vaccinated to prevent the spread of covid19.

I hope your DMIL is well and does not catch covid19 from the facility.

Graham.

She already had Covid thanks to someone who worked there having it and spreading it at work before they knew they were positive.  Residents were given their first Moderna shots Dec. 28, 2020.  She was one of many residents who tested positive in January, with her test taken on Jan. 7 being positive.  She was isolated in the Covid ward and came back out about about 12 days later with a horrible cough.  She had bronchitis and the facility doctor wasn't treating it.  We insisted so he gave her an antibiotic whereupon she started to feel better within 24 hours.  We made an emergency visit to see her on the 25th (driving over 1200 miles round trip) and that is the same date of the second Moderna vaccination.  So she's not only been vaccinated but had Covid.  

This Friday July 23 is her 95th birthday.  She's a fighter!  

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

She already had Covid thanks to someone who worked there having it and spreading it at work before they knew they were positive.  Residents were given their first Moderna shots Dec. 28, 2020.  She was one of many residents who tested positive in January, with her test taken on Jan. 7 being positive.  She was isolated in the Covid ward and came back out about about 12 days later with a horrible cough.  She had bronchitis and the facility doctor wasn't treating it.  We insisted so he gave her an antibiotic whereupon she started to feel better within 24 hours.  We made an emergency visit to see her on the 25th (driving over 1200 miles round trip) and that is the same date of the second Moderna vaccination.  So she's not only been vaccinated but had Covid.  

This Friday July 23 is her 95th birthday.  She's a fighter!  

Wow! She certainly is a fighter!  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good afternoon, all! I’ve been playing with plant dyes and lost track of time. All the days work for me. I enjoy chess, and ice cream soda, and lollipops. 
Tonight we will be finishing off the leftover tenderloin steak and pasta salad from last night. This leaves me the afternoon to play with plants and fabric on this beautiful afternoon.

Yesterday’s scarf with a Queen Anne’s Lace after dye.

FF117A59-2CF6-4F69-B6B3-23FC8BD8A5DA.thumb.jpeg.a27c8ba7760b55aafa379f2cad764157.jpeg

Happy Tuesday everyone. This beautiful afternoon would be even more beautiful on a BHB!

That scarf is absolutely beautiful.  Maybe my very favorite yet.  What a wonderful dye color!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

That sounds just plain awful, but thankfully you are able now to share that experience.  

I hope you have a comfortable evening, and as my mom used to always say, "Onward and upward."

Thinking of you.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I have been cruising on Hal since 2007 and have never seen a Dutch night. Anyone know when it ended?

Dutch Night is the same as King's Day, correct?  It's celebrated on April 27 and the last time I remember it was on our Grand Med and Africa cruise in 2018.  We had lots of orange onboard that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKECSeNzb_6NyyTZgCLvzyb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_XfED4ZlGItTodwYgImCv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHhFyjLxHbOI_Jin4RKn_A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We were also onboard the Prinsendam on April 27, 2019 but I don't have any photos or mentions in my photo book of King's Day celebrations.  So maybe they just had cut out the festivities unless on a Grand voyage.  More cuts.  Too bad.🙁

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

I guess our sunset and air quality warning is stemming from the fires out west.  Pray for rain in the west Dailyites, we can do it!

C0ED1236-4444-4530-84D9-2F966FBBE1B5.jpeg

I heard this afternoon that smoke from the western fires had reached the east coast.  Incredible, isn't it?   Doing a rain dance for western states and hoping it doesn't get mixed up and pour more rain on us!!

• Like 6