The Daily for Tuesday July 20, 2021

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Dutch Night is the same as King's Day, correct?  It's celebrated on April 27 and the last time I remember it was on our Grand Med and Africa cruise in 2018.  We had lots of orange onboard that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKECSeNzb_6NyyTZgCLvzyb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_XfED4ZlGItTodwYgImCv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHhFyjLxHbOI_Jin4RKn_A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We were also onboard the Prinsendam on April 27, 2019 but I don't have any photos or mentions in my photo book of King's Day celebrations.  So maybe they just had cut out the festivities unless on a Grand voyage.  More cuts.  Too bad.🙁

I think there are quite a few relevant royals, and the date seems to vary.  I had 2 in 2019, January 31 on the Prinsendam in honor of Princess Beatrix, and again April 27 for Kings Day on the Nieuw Statendam.

I think there may have been a previous Dutch night in a different format before my time.

Roy

• Like 8

There used to be a Dutch dinner, the ladies were given Dutch bonnets, the men got caps, and the dinner menu contained some Dutch treats.  I thought I had photos, but can't find them, perhaps it was pre-digital, or else I decided the bonnet was not flattering!

Now there is usually an "Orange Party" on board one night, after dinner.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

There used to be a Dutch dinner, the ladies were given Dutch bonnets, the men got caps, and the dinner menu contained some Dutch treats.  I thought I had photos, but can't find them, perhaps it was pre-digital, or else I decided the bonnet was not flattering!

You're right, I remember those bonnets and caps.  Not the same as the Orange Party.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, highscar said:

Reading about various stories about the dining room.  For the last 18 yrs always had late fixed dinning I’m thinking as solo I may prefer fixed earlier. I enjoy having the same servers throughout the cruise. Is that possible. When I asked Hal rep she said no.  

That's interesting.  We have always had the same servers at our fixed early dining.  Guessing, it seems as though with covid protocols in place, this would be even more expected for ease of contact tracing.

I hope you are able to have a pleasant dining assignment.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Just popping in with an update.

Thanks so much every one for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it. This was not a walk in the park. The doctor said the lens was like cement, so getting it out took a while. I was quite uncomfortable during the procedure and tried to say something, but I couldn't get the words out for some reason. The cornea was floppy, so she had to put stitches in it, which will come out in a week. Anyway, I'm home. Still in some discomfort, so I'll take some Tylenol as advised. I had better vision earlier right after surgery, but now it seems more cloudy. Not sure what that's all about. This is an eye that was an undetected lazy eye as a child, so the vision won't be great without glasses anyway. I have to go in for a follow up tomorrow.

I'll catch up on the posts at some point this evening.

Praying that all is better in the morning. 

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Dutch Night is the same as King's Day, correct?  It's celebrated on April 27 and the last time I remember it was on our Grand Med and Africa cruise in 2018.  We had lots of orange onboard that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKECSeNzb_6NyyTZgCLvzyb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_XfED4ZlGItTodwYgImCv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHhFyjLxHbOI_Jin4RKn_A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We were also onboard the Prinsendam on April 27, 2019 but I don't have any photos or mentions in my photo book of King's Day celebrations.  So maybe they just had cut out the festivities unless on a Grand voyage.  More cuts.  Too bad.🙁

It may have been on the 27th, we used to cruise a lot in the spring and it was always right around late April through mid-May it seemed.  

Also, there wasn't anything bad about the menu, I don't even remember the choices, I think I'd be a lot more interested in it now. 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I remember the bonnets and caps! My favorite (pre-digital) picture of my parents on a cruise is of them wearing the hats. ☺️

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

It may have been on the 27th, we used to cruise a lot in the spring and it was always right around late April through mid-May it seemed.  

Also, there wasn't anything bad about the menu, I don't even remember the choices. 

My Orange Night menus:

January 31, 2019, Prinsendam:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/menu0131.pdf

April 27, 2019, Nieuw Statendam:

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/menu0427.pdf

Roy

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

This is the Dutch Night that I am remembering. I was one who wore white bonnet but took it off after the celebration. They were small, and I think shaped so it stood up a bit at the top. 

• Like 6

In 2000 and 2001 (my first two cruises) there was a Dutch night on each one. The first cruise was in Sept and the second in Oct. I believe that at the time each 7 day cruise had 1 Dutch night. My mother and sister were given a decorated bonnet on the second cruise. I don't remember when this tradition ended.

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My Orange Night menus:

January 31, 2019, Prinsendam:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/menu0131.pdf

April 27, 2019, Nieuw Statendam:

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/menu0427.pdf

Roy

Those are fantastic menus!  The Dutch night menus I recall (granted my post stroke memory is not as stellar as it once was) were a little on the bland side, maybe the Dutch version of comfort food?

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Also, I don't recall the Dutch menu being combined with the 2nd gala on the cruises I had been on, seemed like it was in between the two formal nights on the 7 days.  On the longer sailings I have no idea. 

BTW, I twirled my napkins during the baked Alaska parades too I must admit 😁Does anybody remember the name of the music they used to play, felt like a march of some kind?

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

From my first cruise on HAL in 2006, on the Statendam Auckland to Sydney Cruise. I have it labeled Dutch Treat. This was on Nov 30th.

304179480_PB300585-DutchTreatOnTheStatendam.thumb.JPG.694da677976ab0b133e379b778042837.JPG

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 24

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

From my first cruise on HAL in 2006, on the Statendam Auckland to Sydney Cruise. I have it labeled Dutch Treat.

304179480_PB300585-DutchTreatOnTheStatendam.thumb.JPG.694da677976ab0b133e379b778042837.JPG

That little bonnet is cute!  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

From my first cruise on HAL in 2006, on the Statendam Auckland to Sydney Cruise. I have it labeled Dutch Treat. This was on Nov 30th.

I so remember those old days.  The last night in the MDR was great with Dutch hats and celebrations.

Now, we skip the last night and head to the Pinnacle.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Also, I don't recall the Dutch menu being combined with the 2nd gala on the cruises I had been on, seemed like it was in between the two formal nights on the 7 days.  On the longer sailings I have no idea. 

BTW, I twirled my napkins during the baked Alaska parades too I must admit 😁Does anybody remember the name of the music they used to play, felt like a march of some kind?

I don’t remember it being combined with the 2nd gala either, but my memory is short and it may well have been.  somehow, I remember i on that last night of the cruise.

And the menu was great back in the day  👍 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I guarantee it is pre-digital 😉. It was quite a while ago when it was discontinued.  I am going to hazard an estimate and say at least close to 2 decades.  

We had them in 1987 and later pre 2000. After that I don’t recall seeing them but we had a gap in sailing HAL.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Just popping in with an update.

Thanks so much every one for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it. This was not a walk in the park. The doctor said the lens was like cement, so getting it out took a while. I was quite uncomfortable during the procedure and tried to say something, but I couldn't get the words out for some reason. The cornea was floppy, so she had to put stitches in it, which will come out in a week. Anyway, I'm home. Still in some discomfort, so I'll take some Tylenol as advised. I had better vision earlier right after surgery, but now it seems more cloudy. Not sure what that's all about. This is an eye that was an undetected lazy eye as a child, so the vision won't be great without glasses anyway. I have to go in for a follow up tomorrow.

I'll catch up on the posts at some point this evening.

Glad you are home safe but sorry to hear about the difficulties.

Hopefully tomorrow things will be much better and clearer 🙏🏻 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I guarantee it is pre-digital 😉. It was quite a while ago when it was discontinued.  I am going to hazard an estimate and say at least close to 2 decades.  

We had them in 1987 and later pre 2000. After that I don’t recall seeing them but we had a gap in sailing HAL.

The last one I remember was early aughts, maybe 04 or 05 at the latest, and it was more of a special menu, although they might have still had the bonnets or something like it, not as nice as what @JazzyV posted.  But all of it seemed to disappear right about the time as everything else associated with traditional cruising.  😥

• Like 4

4 hours ago, highscar said:

Reading about various stories about the dining room.  For the last 18 yrs always had late fixed dinning I’m thinking as solo I may prefer fixed earlier. I enjoy having the same servers throughout the cruise. Is that possible. When I asked Hal rep she said no.  

Call Seattle 3 times and you’ll get 3 different answers 😉 

Yes you should have the same servers.  The one exception is if you are on a longer cruise and, if there is a segment, it’s possible some crew will get off including one of your servers.  They will always let you know.  Usually it’s only one and the other one continues on.

It’s all good and pretty seamless as the other already knows your preferences 😉 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Dutch Night is the same as King's Day, correct? 

No it wasn’t ( I say in past tense as Dutch Night is long gone).  Dutch night was a special celebration of HAL’s origin and not a celebration of King’s Day.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It's celebrated on April 27 and the last time I remember it was on our Grand Med and Africa cruise in 2018.  We had lots of orange onboard that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKECSeNzb_6NyyTZgCLvzyb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We were on that sailing and there were plenty of celebrations on King’s Day.  I wore orange like a good person and the crew were all in orange.  There were celebrations in the Ocean Bar with special treats.  Special stuff in the Showroom.  We had headed to the Crow’s Nest as we loved the piano player and wow, up came so many chocolate treats and other stuff your head would spin.  I know I posted pics at the time on my LIVE thread.

Definitely King’s Night was celebrated on the Prinsendam and probably better than other ships.  And yes, I’ve done King’s Night on other ships 😉 

But Dutch Night was fun.  A totally different menu back in the day and the crew were into it.  Wish I had kept our hats now.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

But Dutch Night was fun.  A totally different menu back in the day and the crew were into it.  Wish I had kept our hats now

I wish I had kept mine also!  It was fun, quite a celebration!

I don’t remember when Dutch Night ended but it has been a long time, at least 15 years. 

• Like 3

Good evening. 

I am back at our home on the Oregon Coast.  DH is in Vancouver with work and grandkid shuttling to school until Thursday.  Really enjoying my quiet evening.  Thanks to all who posted.  It has been a great read tonight.  JazzyV, I hope you are seeing well tomorrow.  I have lens put in when I had my cataracts removed.  One worked well.  The other had to be replaced a few months later and it was stuck also. I certainly know what you went through today.  Hang in there. It will get better.  Just took some time for me.  

Enjoyed all the pictures and posts.  We are trying early seating for the first time on our next cruise.  Will see how it goes.  In the past we have been successful in the main dining room finding a table for 2 or 4  we liked and then requesting it for the rest of the cruise and had the same wait staff.  We try to make sure if we will be celebrating a special event on a cruise to pre-book the Pinnacle or Tamarand for that night.  Otherwise once we get on board we go to the speicalty restaurant and do it then.  We aren't too particular.  

Hope everyone had a great Tuesday.  Soon will be hump day.  Time is flying by.  Stay well and safe.  

• Like 7

I'm going to be adding this each evening to the daily, just something fun to contribute.

Seattle homeporting ship locations:

Ovation of the seas: entering the Strait of Juan de Fuca, under way (Seattle)

Norwegian Encore: international waters off the coast of Washington, under way (testing)

Serenade of the seas: off the coast of the Northern tip of Vancouver Island, under way (Sitka)

Nieuw Amsterdam: Smith Cove west slip, stopped

Majestic Princess: north Puget Sound, off Whidbey Island, under way (testing)

Celebrity Millennium: Pier 66, moored

Silver Muse: Puget Sound, off Blake and Bainbridge Islands, anchored

Carnival Miracle: Long Beach, moored

I've popped into some of these rollcalls, the mood is so festive, I just pray to Poseidon he'll allow everybody booked for Alaska 2021 to cruise, please please please!

• Like 6