Decision date for Sept 25th cruises.

wowzz

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Does that also include cover for leisure travel, I thought it was just for business or essential travel.

I assume it also includes leisure as I was offered it when I took out my insurance a few weeks ago. I didnt take it at the time but may be handy for Med/Canary island Cruises from Southampton this Autumn if Spain stay on the Amber list.

50 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Indeed they all do yeah but NCL are not requiring insurance to board regardless.

This is from the NCL website.

Let's face it - plans change, emergencies happen. And that's why our booking conditions require you purchase appropriate travel insurance for every cruise. We hope you never have to make a claim but, for peace of mind when you're away, travel insurance is essential.

As you have started a thread on the NCL section , no doubt somebody there will point it out to you.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

This is from the NCL website.

Let's face it - plans change, emergencies happen. And that's why our booking conditions require you purchase appropriate travel insurance for every cruise. We hope you never have to make a claim but, for peace of mind when you're away, travel insurance is essential.

As you have started a thread on the NCL section , no doubt somebody there will point it out to you.

Not a worry as I'm covered anyway 🙂 My insurance covers cruises and travelling against guidance.

34 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

I assume it also includes leisure as I was offered it when I took out my insurance a few weeks ago. I didnt take it at the time but may be handy for Med/Canary island Cruises from Southampton this Autumn if Spain stay on the Amber list.

But do you really think the cruises will still go ahead if that is the case? How will P&O do the testing required prior to rhe ship returning to the UK? 

Just now, ScratchTheRat said:

Not a worry as I'm covered anyway 🙂 My insurance covers cruises and travelling against guidance.

And I apologise for thinking that you did not have appropriate insurance  cover.

The fact remains that the vast majority of us here (I suspect) do not have this level of cover.  

More importantly,  would P&O  actively start cruising against government advice?

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

And I apologise for thinking that you did not have appropriate insurance  cover.

The fact remains that the vast majority of us here (I suspect) do not have this level of cover.  

More importantly,  would P&O  actively start cruising against government advice?

I think so yeah. The other companies are. They just need to be very upfront with people in making it clear they are at their own risk etc.

1 minute ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I think so yeah. The other companies are. They just need to be very upfront with people in making it clear they are at their own risk etc.

I'm not so sure. At the very least P&O would want every passenger to have the same level of insurance as you do, plus organise on board tests prior to returning to the UK. And passengers woukd then have to sort out a second test themselves.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not so sure. At the very least P&O would want every passenger to have the same level of insurance as you do, plus organise on board tests prior to returning to the UK. And passengers woukd then have to sort out a second test themselves.

If that were the case, MSC and Costa wouldnt be sailing. Just my feeling.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

They would definitely want everyone covered to the full for medical cover, or they could end up with a huge unpaid on board doctors bill.

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But do you really think the cruises will still go ahead if that is the case? How will P&O do the testing required prior to rhe ship returning to the UK? 

As  I understand it the rules regarding testing before returning from Amber list countries for those who that have been fully vaccinated have now been (or are soon to be) relaxed. ie. No testing or quarantine  required.

However you would still have the issue of insurance cover . Even though as we have said, cover is available for travelling to Amber list countries I cant see any cruise company making it a condition of travel. Its not widely available and as we have seen from some of the insurance threads on here its likely to be too expensive or unavailable to a large section of the customer base. 

Autumn cruises still have a few hurdles to negotiate yet.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

They would definitely want everyone covered to the full for medical cover, or they could end up with a huge unpaid on board doctors bill.

Remember as well that the FDCO rules only invalidate insurance to amber/red countries and so likely in time we will see more of these go green.

Remember as well that the FDCO rules only invalidate insurance to amber/red countries and so likely in time we will see more of these go green.

No, FCO rules also invalidate foreign cruises.

10 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

If that were the case, MSC and Costa wouldnt be sailing. Just my feeling.

I think one difference bewteen P and O and Costa and MSC is that for P and O most sailings are from Southampton with mainly UK passengers.If there was a bad outbreak of covid onboard a P and O ship it may put people off from travelling with them again.Costa and MSC have a wider market and lots of ports for embarkation.P and O have got more to lose

6 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

As  I understand it the rules regarding testing before returning from Amber list countries for those who that have been fully vaccinated have now been (or are soon to be) relaxed. ie. No testing or quarantine  required

Testing still required, even if double vaccinated. I am not aware that this is likely to be relaxed any time soon, especially with the surge in infection rates in places such as Mallorca, Ibiza etc. 

MSC is.

But may not be able to in the future, unless the government changes its advice on foreign cruises.

Of course, MSC can insist all passengers have the same policy as you. Can't see that being workable.

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Testing still required, even if double vaccinated. I am not aware that this is likely to be relaxed any time soon, especially with the surge in infection rates in places such as Mallorca, Ibiza etc. 

On some cruises, they have done testing in your cabin.

1 hour ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Just incase anyone needs it Staysure currently offer an add on to your policy that allows for travel against Covid related FCO advice . eg. It will cover you for travel to Amber/Red Countries . 

My Staysure cover for travelling against FCDO advice came in at £5 extra.  I snatched it eagerly!

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

On some cruises, they have done testing in your cabin.

I'm sure they do.

However, could P&O process 3000 tests on board Britannia in the allotted time prior to disembarking in Southampton? 

Edited by wowzz

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Good - obviously I would like to know the source of your information!

Common sense. Just like how muster is mandatory in the past, now, each guest needs to report for a lateral flow test on debarkation morning before they can leave the ship. Do it in batches and should be straightforward. If they struggle, reduce capacity.

41 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

If you look at the Seabourn CC site (Post. “Seabourn not accepting UK passport holders”) there are posts from UK passport holders that have been denied boarding Seabourn Ovation based in Athens for the next few weeks because of insurance issues. It appears to be a current issue with travelling against the advice of UK FCDO advice. Friends of mine were bumped off this cruise with 48 hrs notice last week so I know it to be true.

Lets hope it’s just a one off….. 

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

If you look at the Seabourn CC site (Post. “Seabourn not accepting UK passport holders”) there are posts from UK passport holders that have been denied boarding Seabourn Ovation based in Athens for the next few weeks because of insurance issues. It appears to be a current issue with travelling against the advice of UK FCDO advice. Friends of mine were bumped off this cruise with 48 hrs notice last week so I know it to be true.

Lets hope it’s just a one off….. 

Yeah, that's why its important to get FCDO insurance!