Health Questionnaire for Kids

We are booked to sail on the September 4th Carnival Magic out of Port Canaveral. We have a 3 year old, who can't get vaccinated as of now. I filled out the exemption form last night, but noticed today that our Health Questionnaire that was originally supposed to open September 1 is open today. I easily filled it out for my husband and myself, but for my son, I'm confused.

There are three options to the question "Will you have had the 2nd does of the approved vaccine 14 or more days before the start of your cruise?" The options are

• Yes
  • No, I am not fully vaccinated, but have Covid-19 Vaccination Exemption Letter
  • No, I am not fully vaccinated, and I do not have a Covid-19 Vaccination Exemption Letter

I know that I can't say that I have the letter, but filling this out so early, I'm afraid to answer it that I do NOT have the letter. I'm afraid it'll be an automatic no for us. For the past sailings, these have been filled out before 3 days prior to sailing, so people have had the exemption letters in hand.

For those who have asked for an exemption for your kids under 12, how did you answer this question? Am I overthinking it?

Posted (edited)

There have been some glitches with Carnival and the Health Questionnaire opening up too soon.  This is meant to be completed 72 hours prior to cruising so they have current up to date information regarding the health of passengers, not a month in advance when things can change.

I would not try to complete it until 72 hours before you cruise and by then you should have your answer for your son.

I don't think you mean the Health Questionnaire though, I think you mean the vaccination questionnaire.   For this, I would assume they gave you a completion date... I would hold out until then to see if you get your exemption and then do it.

Edited by wemjam

43 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I don't think you mean the Health Questionnaire though, I think you mean the vaccination questionnaire.   For this, I would assume they gave you a completion date... I would hold out until then to see if you get your exemption and then do it.

I don't think this is correct. I understood it as they were not deciding on who gets exemptions UNTIL they have completed vax questionnaires from everyone who is planning to be on board.

My cruise (which looks less and less likely for us) is 8/7. We had to fill out vaccination questionnaire by 7/13 and they said that they could not start determining exemptions UNTIL it had been filled out. 

Hope this helps.

16 hours ago, Tnlynch81 said:

I had the same question as the OP...Was your questionnaire in the same format? If so what did you select for your exemptions?

For my 10 year old, I selected 

• No, I am not fully vaccinated, and I do not have a Covid-19 Vaccination Exemption Letter

The rest of us are vaccinated, so that was a no brainer 🙂

Right now I'm 99.9% certain we are not going. I'm hoping to get a good bounceback offer because I absolutely plan to cruise again but I agree with others here that Carnival is playing chicken and leaving the decision until so late that it is impossible for families to plan, unless they live close to the port. If we were traveling from NYC or Baltimore, I'd be ready in a heartbeat, but traveling to Miami involves too much additional cost and planning. 

18 hours ago, wemjam said:

There have been some glitches with Carnival and the Health Questionnaire opening up too soon.  This is meant to be completed 72 hours prior to cruising so they have current up to date information regarding the health of passengers, not a month in advance when things can change.

I would not try to complete it until 72 hours before you cruise and by then you should have your answer for your son.

You are correct, it is the Vaccination Survey that's opened up. There is no completion date.

35 minutes ago, CorrieCJ said:

For my 10 year old, I selected 

The rest of us are vaccinated, so that was a no brainer 🙂

Right now I'm 99.9% certain we are not going. I'm hoping to get a good bounceback offer because I absolutely plan to cruise again but I agree with others here that Carnival is playing chicken and leaving the decision until so late that it is impossible for families to plan, unless they live close to the port. If we were traveling from NYC or Baltimore, I'd be ready in a heartbeat, but traveling to Miami involves too much additional cost and planning. 

Thanks for responding! I wasn't sure how to respond, but will do the same as you.

You say that you think you guys aren't going. Is that because you don't think you'll get the exemption? Is there something you've seen that shows you might not get it? I'm just trying to know what to look out for.

We already have our flights and are planning 3 days at Disney after the cruise, so I went ahead and booked a room at Disney for the days during the cruise that I can cancel 72 hours prior to check in, just in case we don't get the exemption. I'm hoping we have an answer before 3 days out! This is all so nerve wracking!

4 hours ago, ewoodall said:

You say that you think you guys aren't going. Is that because you don't think you'll get the exemption? Is there something you've seen that shows you might not get it? I'm just trying to know what to look out for.

We already have our flights and are planning 3 days at Disney after the cruise, so I went ahead and booked a room at Disney for the days during the cruise that I can cancel 72 hours prior to check in, just in case we don't get the exemption. I'm hoping we have an answer before 3 days out! This is all so nerve wracking!

Well, my PVP made it clear that there is only a very small chance we'd get the exemption, so that's a big part of it. If there are 2500 people going, and only 5% unvaccinated, that's only 125-ish exemptions. Not great odds, if there are a lot of people trying to get them, and there is no word on how they are being processed/decided. 

We are in NYC and would need to schedule flights to Miami. We have vouchers from our canceled cruise last year, but my worry was that if we rebook using those vouchers, we will not be able to reuse them again if we cancel those flights and would lose the money. There are 6 of us traveling (husband and myself, adult children 18 & 21, younger children 10 & 14) so it's a big expense. Plus with six of us, that is more chances that someone is either going to get sick between now and then, or test positive at the pier (whether actually positive or false-positive), or have some other contingency that would make it impossible to sail. And then there's the worries about what our 10 year old will/won't be able to do on board, or what we can/can't do as a family. (Not worried about the lack of kids club - my kids have never been crazy about those.)  The bubble tours seem like they might sell out quickly, we can't explore on our own unless we split up an someone stays on board with him (not a terrible idea, but these are ports we've never been to and we'd all like to see them). It's a lot of worry, and instead of looking forward to it, I'm more and more stressed. While I'd give my right arm for a beach chair and a pina colada right now, I'm just fed up with all the stress of planning. 

Having said all that (sorry to ramble) if they came to me today and said "Hey, you can go," I might be tempted to book the flights and go for it... but with us so close to sailing I just don't think it's realistic. 

I do wonder if - as others have said - Carnival is hoping people like me just drop off so that in the end, there are only a few people still hanging around and they can grant all of those people the exemptions without having to deny anyone... 

I answered for my wife and I, but left the kids 'pending' because I didn't want to risk any assumption that I wasn't awaiting an exemption. If/When I get a response on the exemption I will complete the answer for the kids... I currently can't answer if I have an exemption or not since they haven't provided me with that information. 

41 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

I answered for my wife and I, but left the kids 'pending' because I didn't want to risk any assumption that I wasn't awaiting an exemption. If/When I get a response on the exemption I will complete the answer for the kids... I currently can't answer if I have an exemption or not since they haven't provided me with that information. 

You're doing the chicken or the egg thing.

They're actually waiting for these vaccination answers in order to see how many vaxxed guests are sailing in order to process the exemptions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

You're doing the chicken or the egg thing.

They're actually waiting for these vaccination answers in order to see how many vaxxed guests are sailing in order to process the exemptions.

Assume and call it whatever you want, I am not going to say 'I don't have an exemption' for my kids when they haven't told me that I am approved or denied.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

Assume and call it whatever you want, I am not going to say 'I don't have an exemption' for my kids when they haven't told me that I am approved or denied.

The July/August passengers had to choose No and I dont have an exemption letter even though it doesnt tell the whole story.

2 minutes ago, sailingships said:

The July/August passengers had to choose No and I dont have an exemption letter even though it doesnt tell the whole story.

I haven't seen anything indicating that, especially for September/October.