Jump to content

What do the room codes mean?


Recommended Posts

There's VH, VF, VB, A, AS, BC, E, etc. etc.  What do all those mean?  And then some have a little circle or triangle or square next to the room number, but I can't find a key to those symbols.

 

This is for Rotterdam.  Our TA found us room A4114 (little circle) for our BTB cruises next May ... coast of Norway + Baltic Capitals.  Looks like the tenders are just aft of it but not blocking the view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verandah rooms are all categorized as 'V '.  Starting at VH as the lowest category (obstructed view) and going up to VA and then V for the highest category in HAL's opinion.

Vista Suites are categorised as A, AS (Stern view A) and BC.  A is midships and AS is aft.

Here is the legend:

1437567137_Screenshot2021-07-20234228.png.a517aedb091eb43a38f445563c59b4bd.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go here. Halfway down the page you'll find a button that allows you to download the pdf. Do that. On the pdf the symbols are explained on each page of the deck plan. The codes indicate location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is information on Rotterdam

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-rotterdam/0.html

 

If you scroll down that page you will find a link to the deck plans.

 

A lot of information is also available about Rotterdam's sister ships Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam

at https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/

 

You are probably aware that Rotterdam is so new that she hasn't even had her first cruise yet!

Enjoy.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 3:01 PM, LindaJ+ said:

There's VH, VF, VB, A, AS, BC, E, etc. etc.  What do all those mean?  And then some have a little circle or triangle or square next to the room number, but I can't find a key to those symbols.

 

This is for Rotterdam.  Our TA found us room A4114 (little circle) for our BTB cruises next May ... coast of Norway + Baltic Capitals.  Looks like the tenders are just aft of it but not blocking the view.

Read the deck plan, or have  your travel agent read it to you. Deck plans for all ships are on the HAL website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Read the deck plan, or have  your travel agent read it to you. Deck plans for all ships are on the HAL website.

 

Having hard copies of the deck plans would make it so much more simple for people who have such questions--which are good ones--to get answers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try to get further back near the aft elevators. The verandas are twice as big, and down one flight of stairs you have the dining room. Perfect location for us anyway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the original question also included the issue of what the letters mean on cabins: VH, VF, VB, A, AS, BC, E. I've tried to figure this out in the past too. "V" I think is veranda. VF is a lower rated cabin than VB or VA.  But the question is how do they decide those codes and how are they really different. I don't really see anything where that issue is discussed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

But the question is how do they decide those codes and how are they really different. I don't really see anything where that issue is discussed. 

 

You may be asking a "corporate sore point" question relating to cruisers.  What was a "V--whatever" last year, may now be a "V-whatever" at a different price.  

 

A VD just next to a VC stateroom during one cruising season may become a VC during the next cruising season.  And, the reason for that is.....?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

You may be asking a "corporate sore point" question relating to cruisers.  What was a "V--whatever" last year, may now be a "V-whatever" at a different price.  

 

A VD just next to a VC stateroom during one cruising season may become a VC during the next cruising season.  And, the reason for that is.....?  

Ok, this is likely the response that makes the most sense. There is no rhyme or reason to it other than VA is more expensive (for some reason) than VC.  What I can't figure is why a mini-suite is directly across from an elevator since mini suites are supposed to be prime locations? 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by mtnlvr53
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

I think the original question also included the issue of what the letters mean on cabins: VH, VF, VB, A, AS, BC, E. I've tried to figure this out in the past too. "V" I think is veranda. VF is a lower rated cabin than VB or VA.  But the question is how do they decide those codes and how are they really different. I don't really see anything where that issue is discussed. 

Location Location Location 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 12:01 AM, LindaJ+ said:

 

 

This is for Rotterdam.  Our TA found us room A4114 (little circle) for our BTB cruises next May ... coast of Norway + Baltic Capitals.  Looks like the tenders are just aft of it but not blocking the view.

Have you noticed that this cabin is connected to another one? Maybe everything else was full, to be honest we have never had an adjoining cabin as CC’ers have always advised against it. Whatever you decide have a great cruise.

Happy planning 

Rosalyn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Ok, this is likely the response that makes the most sense. There is no rhyme or reason to it other than VA is more expensive (for some reason) than VC.  What I can't figure is why a mini-suite is directly across from an elevator since mini suites are supposed to be prime locations? 🤷‍♂️ 

Some people like beign close to the elevator.  Plus, I yhink HAL tries to "group" the cabins in a category (not sure why).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

we have never had an adjoining cabin as CC’ers have always advised against it.

Not always. 

I have had a few connecting cabins over the years, and never had  problem with any of them, no matter which class of ship I was on. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Not always. 

I have had a few connecting cabins over the years, and never had  problem with any of them, no matter which class of ship I was on. 

 

Hi Ruth! Good to see you posting. 🙂

 

I agree; we have had adjoining cabins (with and without traveling companions), also on various cruise lines, and have not had issues with them. I have actually heard more noise coming from non-adjoining cabins next door.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 7:15 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

Having hard copies of the deck plans would make it so much more simple for people who have such questions--which are good ones--to get answers.  

Color pictures of the Deck Plans are included in the Holland America Line 'Cruise Atlas'!  The current issue is April 2020 - April 2021.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Color pictures of the Deck Plans are included in the Holland America Line 'Cruise Atlas'!  The current issue is April 2020 - April 2021.

 

And as a 5 Star Mariner, the reason that I did not receive this Cruse Atlas is.....?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for all the help.  Our TA chose this one because it was the only one available for both cruises ... so he said we wouldn't have to move.  I was thinking I would like a higher deck but then I thought ... it's only one staircase to the dining room and theatre and promenade ... quite convenient.  Not that close to the elevators.

 

I was guessing the V - A,B,C,X,Y,Z referred to configuration ... since there's a range of sizes within that category and therefore possibly furniture arrangements.  But I guess that's not to be known!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 7:22 PM, NCTribeFan said:

I like cruisedeckplans dot com.  I especially like the Deck-Drag option so you can see what's above and below. 

cruisedeckplans.com actually has a specific view where if you put in your cabin - it will show you the areas about 3 cabins on either side) around, above, and below in one view. When booking I always have it open on one window. 

Only had one minor issue on one cruise with a connecting door. Large family gathered daily in the older folks room next to ours - and were always talking, talking, talking in their room / balcony. Not so loud, or egregious - just...always. 

Several times in Hotels - once with barking dog, and once with...enthusiastically amorous couple.

Nowadays - my hearing is shot - so nothing bothers me, but DW slightly prefers to not have connecting door - but Ok if nothing else available.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2021 at 4:15 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

Having hard copies of the deck plans would make it so much more simple for people who have such questions--which are good ones--to get answers.  

I agree !   Travel agents can get them for their clients (TA orders them from HAL) .

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I agree !   Travel agents can get them for their clients (TA orders them from HAL) .

 

When I am ready to seriously considering to cruise again, I will ask my travel agent to get the brochures that I want.  

 

It irritates me, however, that a copy of the most recent Cruise Atlas is not automatically sent to me as a result of my Mariner Status.  I realize that one has not been able to be prepared for some time because of the pandemic.  But, getting one directly from HAL, without requesting it, pre-Covid, resulted in my snail mail box being empty of that item.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...