Jump to content

Seattle light rail service from SeaTac to DT/Westlake station


 Share

Recommended Posts

Do a lot of people take the light rail with their luggage? We'll have 3-2 large and 1 small. Will this be frowned upon? This seems to be the cheapest way to get to DT. We'll be going on a cruise so the bags are a must. Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are small areas for luggage storage on each car as you board. If you’re ok with schlepping your luggage you'll be fine. The escalators/elevators are occasionally not operating downtown but that’s pretty infrequent. That would be the bigger issue. It’s quite a hoof up to ground level. It’s just a 3 or 4 block walk to The Sound from the Westlake station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will be riding the Link from the airport to Westlake Station. I will travel with on 26” suitcase and backpack.  As long as you can handle your luggage easily there should not be a problem.  I will not be riding during rush hour so there may be fewer riders. You can’t beat the price though.
How close is your hotel from Westlake? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

I will be riding the Link from the airport to Westlake Station. I will travel with on 26” suitcase and backpack.  As long as you can handle your luggage easily there should not be a problem.  I will not be riding during rush hour so there may be fewer riders. You can’t beat the price though.
How close is your hotel from Westlake? 

Hello. Thanks for your reply.

Our flt arrives at 11am on a Saturday so hopefully not too busy. We will only be 3-4 blocks from our hotel at Westlake station. Hopefully not up hill.😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

most people don't seem to realize that the seats are tall enough for suitcase to lay on the floor under the seat in front of you.  Personally I wouldn't put my bags in the alcove where you can't keep an eye on them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dan G said:

most people don't seem to realize that the seats are tall enough for suitcase to lay on the floor under the seat in front of you.  Personally I wouldn't put my bags in the alcove where you can't keep an eye on them.

Thanks for this info, Dan! DH and I are in a squabble about whether to bring one 25 inch along with carryons for our trip- he is leery about checking bags ever since our luggage went AWOL for a 3 week Europe land & cruise vacation. The big stumbling block for me is hiking boots- I do not like wearing them for the 10 hours airport to airport we will be flying from CLE to SEA followed by the light rail and walk to the Sound, but they take up so much space to pack! DH is wary of not being able to keep our eyes on our luggage so smaller bags make sense, but......

 

Post-cruise we are taking the Coast Starlight down to Portland in business. Do you have any knowledge about bag storage for that train? I would like to leave our seats for the dining and observation cars. Thanks!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

amtrak cars do have a small section in each car for a few pcs of suitcase size luggage.  Business class also have some open areas in the rear where wheelchairs would go.  I think they would let you bring the luggage instead of checking depending on how full the car is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dan G said:

amtrak cars do have a small section in each car for a few pcs of suitcase size luggage.  Business class also have some open areas in the rear where wheelchairs would go.  I think they would let you bring the luggage instead of checking depending on how full the car is.

 

Thanks for the info. My husband made the executive decision to go ahead and book a shuttle instead of using the light rail. At least at pre cruise. We will take it from pier area back to SeaTac because we will not have our luggage since we will be using the port valet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not trying to hijack this thread, as I feel (hope?) this is a related question...but has anyone that has cruised out of Seattle used the Light Rail service to return back to SecTac AFTER their cruise?

 

Since our cruise will be going out of Pier 91, I know we'll be looking likely a a taxi or Uber/Lyft to get from the hotel TO the pier...but wondering if most folks just go from the Pier directly to SecTac again via taxi/Uber/Lyft, or if you can still save a good amount by getting ground transportation back to whatever would be the closest Light Rail station (to Pier 91), and then using the Light Rail to travel back to SecTac?

 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, or experiences, anyone can share!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

a cab is likely to be about $60 but you would need a cab to get to light rail, then pay the fare to seatac.  I think its a lot of running around to save maybe $20.

seattleexpress.com

should offer pier to airport transfers. or look at

flatrateforhire.com

 

Edited by Dan G
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, quantumleap said:

Not trying to hijack this thread, as I feel (hope?) this is a related question...but has anyone that has cruised out of Seattle used the Light Rail service to return back to SecTac AFTER their cruise?

 

Since our cruise will be going out of Pier 91, I know we'll be looking likely a a taxi or Uber/Lyft to get from the hotel TO the pier...but wondering if most folks just go from the Pier directly to SecTac again via taxi/Uber/Lyft, or if you can still save a good amount by getting ground transportation back to whatever would be the closest Light Rail station (to Pier 91), and then using the Light Rail to travel back to SecTac?

 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, or experiences, anyone can share!

That is what I thought we would do to save some money, however, I didn't realize the light rail is about 3 1/2 miles from Pier 91. So we have decided to use Seattle Express from Pier 91 back to SeaTac. Our flight leaves at noon so we don't have time to explore. Seattle Express is $20pp and an additional savings of 10% for AAA, AARP, Senior, military. Hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, quantumleap said:

Not trying to hijack this thread, as I feel (hope?) this is a related question...but has anyone that has cruised out of Seattle used the Light Rail service to return back to SecTac AFTER their cruise?

 

Since our cruise will be going out of Pier 91, I know we'll be looking likely a a taxi or Uber/Lyft to get from the hotel TO the pier...but wondering if most folks just go from the Pier directly to SecTac again via taxi/Uber/Lyft, or if you can still save a good amount by getting ground transportation back to whatever would be the closest Light Rail station (to Pier 91), and then using the Light Rail to travel back to SecTac?

 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, or experiences, anyone can share!

Quantum, be sure to check if your return flight after your cruise qualifies for the Port of Seattle's free luggage to airport service call Port Valet.  If it does, your luggage will go from the ship to your home airport w/o you having to deal with it.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dan G said:

a cab is likely to be about $60 but you would need a cab to get to light rail, then pay the fare to seatac.  I think its a lot of running around to save maybe $20.

seattleexpress.com

should offer pier to airport transfers. or look at

flatrateforhire.com

 

 

2 hours ago, P.A. said:

That is what I thought we would do to save some money, however, I didn't realize the light rail is about 3 1/2 miles from Pier 91. So we have decided to use Seattle Express from Pier 91 back to SeaTac. Our flight leaves at noon so we don't have time to explore. Seattle Express is $20pp and an additional savings of 10% for AAA, AARP, Senior, military. Hope this helps.

 

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Quantum, be sure to check if your return flight after your cruise qualifies for the Port of Seattle's free luggage to airport service call Port Valet.  If it does, your luggage will go from the ship to your home airport w/o you having to deal with it.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

 

Thanks for the tips all!  I will check into both Seattle Express, and the Port Valet luggage service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...