6 Star - coming soon? if not, when?

sansterre

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Star series of status levels has perks. Not aware the Medallion series does...we have about 180 actual days on ships, but about 460 days on the Star totals.

Not sure about this since we were newly-bronzed before the shutdown, but am I correct that you thereafter get invited to the medallion award reception before the Mariner brunch? 

8 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Not sure about this since we were newly-bronzed before the shutdown, but am I correct that you thereafter get invited to the medallion award reception before the Mariner brunch? 

This can depend on how many high Mariners there are and the venue chosen.  Used to be you would be invited as the award reception was generally held in the show lounge.  Things were changing before the shutdown: smaller venues, fewer seats = fewer Mariners invited.  Always an interesting reception and I wish HAL would invite all the medallion holders, period. That would be gracious.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 2

We had three President's Club couples onboard when we sailed from San Diego to Buenos Aires.  We were dining in PG one night and saw them gather with many officers in the private dining area of PG, which was beautifully set up for the group.  They were as glamorous as movie stars.    😍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

We have been invited to the award reception before the lunch since we got our 100 day Medallion, on each of our cruises since then.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

We have been invited to the award reception before the lunch since we got our 100 day Medallion, on each of our cruises since then.

The number and their Star status invited to that reception may depend on the number of Mariners aboard.  Just my most recent experiences.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

As have we. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

We had three President's Club couples onboard when we sailed from San Diego to Buenos Aires.  We were dining in PG one night and saw them gather with many officers in the private dining area of PG, which was beautifully set up for the group.  They were as glamorous as movie stars.    😍

We've seen the same.  The ships do a very nice job of this special dinner for Pres Club  members, even when there is only one couple on board. 

5 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

No, in my two experiences at Medallion ceremonies only those receiving medals were invited and they then may invite family members. I can’t remember if the invitees are limited or not. At my Medallion ceremony there were apps and drinks including champagne and my DM and DH came as my invites.  At my DH it was just drinks.  

Edited by Sharon in AZ

We did not get invited to the ceremonies (after we got our bronze medallions) until we reached 4 star status.  Got our silver on our last cruise.  Doubt if we'll live long enough to see gold!

6 hours ago, Bookited said:

We did not get invited to the ceremonies (after we got our bronze medallions) until we reached 4 star status.  Got our silver on our last cruise.  Doubt if we'll live long enough to see gold!

Interesting, thanks for that input. We’ll be hitting 4* with a January 2022 cruise so we’ll see what happens. I thought the pre-lunch medallion ceremony was quite nice and it was fun to see people receiving the various levels of medallions and having their photos made with the captain.

19 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

That fits my experience when I received Bronze Medallion for 100 Sea Days a couple years ago.  A fellow traveler that I knew from a previous voyage (with far more sea days than me) was invited to and attended the ceremony, even though he was not getting a medallion that day.

21 hours ago, scamper said:

I think a private, fully catered lifeboat would seal the deal for me. I can't be seen mingling with the riff-raff in the event of a serious accident. 🚢

Remember though. Some people promoted the RMS Titanic to be a fully catered lifeboat.

Not sure what happened to it, but there are rumours.  😂  🤣

7 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Interesting, thanks for that input. We’ll be hitting 4* with a January 2022 cruise so we’ll see what happens. I thought the pre-lunch medallion ceremony was quite nice and it was fun to see people receiving the various levels of medallions and having their photos made with the captain.

Yes, agree, fun to see people getting their medallions.  Harmless fun and a good loyalty event.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

That fits my experience when I received Bronze Medallion for 100 Sea Days a couple years ago.  A fellow traveler that I knew from a previous voyage (with far more sea days than me) was invited to and attended the ceremony, even though he was not getting a medallion that day.

I do think the ships generally invite all medallion holders to these awards ceremonies, whether they are receiving a new medallion or not.

Also, on certain cruises inviting all medallion holder might mean a couple of hundred and it appears they don't really want to do that sometimes, for whatever reasons, so they prune out the lower medallion holders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At one Mariner's lunch, I sat at a table with a Mariner from Juneau who talked about her fishing business that allowed her to travel enough to get her 5* Mariner status.  When the Captain introduced her as a member of the Presidents Club, I was surprised.  She smiled and told me that she fishes during the short season and then sails on HAL.  Before anyone asks, she had the soup and one bite of dessert.

Even as a 5* Mariner, I was turned away from a medal ceremony on the Koningsdam even though I just wanted to take photos of CC medallion receivers.  They needed two ceremonies on that cruise to accommodate all and I was scheduled for the second ceremony.  I received an apology a few days later.

On another cruise, I happily photographed and shared Dobiemom's medallion ceremony.

FWIW I attended a Mariner's reception in Alaska a few years ago with less than 10 attendees.  The Captain was funny when he said that everyone invited had attended and we all could have a photo with him. 

6* Mariners with 3000 Mariner points should get free clothes pressing.

11 minutes ago, Crew News said:

FWIW I attended a Mariner's reception in Alaska a few years ago with less than 10 attendees.  The Captain was funny when he said that everyone invited had attended and we all could have a photo with him. 

Quoting just this part...

That's good news.  I didn't get my photo with the captain at our medallion ceremony, because I wasn't feeling well that day.  In future I'll hang out and see if another opportunity arises.

What the heck...  😊

15 minutes ago, Crew News said:

At one Mariner's lunch, I sat at a table with a Mariner from Juneau who talked about her fishing business that allowed her to travel enough to get her 5* Mariner status.  When the Captain introduced her as a member of the Presidents Club, I was surprised.  She smiled and told me that she fishes during the short season and then sails on HAL.  Before anyone asks, she had the soup and one bite of dessert.

Even as a 5* Mariner, I was turned away from a medal ceremony on the Koningsdam even though I just wanted to take photos of CC medallion receivers.  They needed two ceremonies on that cruise to accommodate all and I was scheduled for the second ceremony.  I received an apology a few days later.

On another cruise, I happily photographed and shared Dobiemom's medallion ceremony.

6* Mariners with 3000 Mariner points should get free clothes pressing.

Thanks for the examples of how differently the medallion ceremony is handled. This is what I am talking about.  It really varies ship by ship, much depending on the number of awardees and how many medallion holders there are.

Your Alaska Captain was a treat.  We've been in the situation where only awardees (5) got photos taken and the top Mariner was introduced, but no photo.  Could have been more graciously done.

• Like 2