Jump to content

The Daily for Wednesday July 21, 2021


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. We're all someone. I like a good hotdog. I don't eat much junk food. I'm not sure of what all qualifies as junk food.

Funny quote.

I rarely eat scallops; just not a seafood person. I like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

 

I had some concern yesterday due to very fuzzy vision in the right eye. Fortunately the pain is gone.  I'm just back from my post-op check, I have some corneal edema which explains that. It should slowly resolve.  I did know I have a couple of stitches in the cornea as it was floppy, but didn't know I have a contact lens in place so I don't feel the scratchiness of the stitches. I have a moderate flare of the uveitis with pain from light, but drops and sunglasses are helping that. Most exciting was being able to read down to 20/70 on the eye chart, when I could only count fingers before. I go back in a week to get the stitches out. I'm to take it easy - no yard work, lifting, etc. and wear my shield 24/7 for now.

 

@Sharon in AZ Happy Birthday to Craig.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Beautiful prints. That will make a stunning top.

@StLouisCruisers Good that the x-ray was ok. ACE-inhibitor BP meds can cause chronic cough and some other meds too. 

 

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

 

That sounds really promising, Vanessa.  

Definitely take it easy until your next visit and report.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good evening everyone. Today was another difficult dat between going to get glasses  with my new walker,  ( a huge medical building with 4 handy capped spaces)almost tripping over the entrance mat, encountering a non working elevator and trying to have Amazon arrange for pickups that Sam ordered by  mistake. When I locked myself out of his Amex and Amazon accounts, he managed to get it done. This is all very hard. I'm just trying to do too much each day and have to prioritize.

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good evening everyone. Today was another difficult dat between going to get glasses  with my new walker,  ( a huge medical building with 4 handy capped spaces)almost tripping over the entrance mat, encountering a non working elevator and trying to have Amazon arrange for pickups that Sam ordered by  mistake. When I locked myself out of his Amex and Amazon accounts, he managed to get it done. This is all very hard. I'm just trying to do too much each day and have to prioritize.

Take care.

Graham.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, garlictown said:

Back checking in..Sandi @StLouisCruisers...I've had problems with a cough from the a/c on the ships

(going outdoors and then inside) and we just call it "Kennel Cough," lol. 😁

Can you rule out asthma? 🤔

Katie

 

No asthma.  They did a breathing test today with a small device and a tube I had to blow in very hard.  My results were very good for my age group.  And the cough has been going on for 2 years so I am getting sick of it.  😠

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

I mostly agree with you but in a pinch we found Italian ones have great salads and at times gelato! In Germany there is beer.. and then there are the McFlurry flavours…

In Spain I got a wonderful salad with a nice piece of salmon.  And gazpacho, which I love.  They also had beer and wine.

 

@JazzyVGreat news about your surgery.   Warm thoughts for continued improvement.  

@NextOneCongratulations on booking your cruise.  I hope you have a wonderful time.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Wednesday!  I’m late today. Today was DM’s appointment with the oncologist. Great news too, she does not require surgery and depending upon an upcoming PET scan will probably only need radiation. Afterward we went to Red Lobster, she had her favorite coconut shrimp and I had trout but mine was over salted for my taste. We had a glass of Matua Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough which was delightful. Wasn’t that a wine of the day recently?

 

 Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes to Craig. Our Daily family is the best!  I’ll forward them on to him. He went into the office today (he works from home) and texted me that he got a $70 gift card to his favorite local bookstore. He will be a happy camper with that many books. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich. I’m with you on the too many disappointments. At first I wanted to rush in and book the first cruise for July 24th but decided I’d better hold off and book something that Craig and I would both enjoy since we had just been to Alaska on our last cruise. 
 

Thank you for your lists Roy. Hopefully your appointments went well today. @JazzyV, such great news about your eye today. Prayers to everyone on the Care list. 
 

Have a great day everyone!

 

  • Like 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

 

No asthma.  They did a breathing test today with a small device and a tube I had to blow in very hard.  My results were very good for my age group.  And it's been going on for 2 years but am getting sick of it.  😠

Pauline sometimes coughs when her throat is dry or from the cars air conditioning.

A cold drink or sucking a boiled sweet helps.

She doesn't drink coffee or take any medications either unlike me.

I seemed to constantly try to clear my throat until Pauline said I was doing it all the time and when I realised it was a habit I have stopped doing it.

 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline sometimes coughs when her throat is dry or from the cars air conditioning.

A cold drink or sucking a boiled sweet helps.

She doesn't drink coffee or take any medications either unlike me.

I seemed to constantly try to clear my throat until Pauline said I was doing it all the time and when I realised it was a habit I have stopped doing it.

 

 

I know what you mean about the habits.  Today when I was waiting in line to check in at the doctor's office, a woman was standing 6 feet behind me.  Every 15 seconds or so she would make a slight noise like a "I'm in pain" grunt.  I wondered if she was in pain or it was a habit.  When she got to the front of the line and was talking to one of the receptionists she wasn't making that sound at all.  🤔

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good evening everyone. Today was another difficult dat between going to get glasses  with my new walker,  ( a huge medical building with 4 handy capped spaces)almost tripping over the entrance mat, encountering a non working elevator and trying to have Amazon arrange for pickups that Sam ordered by  mistake. When I locked myself out of his Amex and Amazon accounts, he managed to get it done. This is all very hard. I'm just trying to do too much each day and have to prioritize.

Please don't push yourself too hard. Sam needs you! But let him help you where he can -- it will do wonders for his recovery!

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

I have a lovely sitter who checks on them twice a day because I don't have auto-feeders (my spoiled furry freeloaders get both wet & dry). She also scoops the litter, puts down fresh water, waters my hanging baskets, and collects the mail. All of that for just $15 per day. If she's not available, I change my travel plans!😄

 

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

In our neighborhood twice a day and it’s also a walk through check throughout their house to ensure all is secure.

 

40 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Back when we had two cats every other day was enough and that was mostly for the litter box. 

 

40 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

Back in the day when I had cats (and later dogs and cats), the cats were left at home and I had a neighbour who they knew who came over twice a day.  She took care of checking the house, feeding, watering & cleaning the cat litter for the 5 Siamese bundle of trouble.  More importantly she stayed until they came out and she showered them with pats.  

They were on dry food so I wasn’t worried about food supply as they didn’t overeat and had an extra water bowl out to be safe.

 

she got a lovely amber necklace (pricey) when I got home from Russia.  And she deserved it.  

Thanks everybody, I think Dear Mom is going to drop in a few times.  But you can't go wrong with a reliable neighbor!

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

 

I know what you mean about the habits.  Today when I was waiting in line to check in at the doctor's office, a woman was standing 6 feet behind me.  Every 15 seconds or so she would make a slight noise like a "I'm in pain" grunt.  I wondered if she was in pain or it was a habit.  When she got to the front of the line and was talking to one of the receptionists she wasn't making that sound at all.  🤔

🤣

I've found people have no idea how to properly stand in a line with social distancing, two to three feet seems to be mistaken for six.

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good evening everyone. Today was another difficult dat between going to get glasses  with my new walker,  ( a huge medical building with 4 handy capped spaces)almost tripping over the entrance mat, encountering a non working elevator and trying to have Amazon arrange for pickups that Sam ordered by  mistake. When I locked myself out of his Amex and Amazon accounts, he managed to get it done. This is all very hard. I'm just trying to do too much each day and have to prioritize.

Oh my gosh, your days sound like my average day, everything is complicated.  🙏

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

🤣

I've found people have no idea how to properly stand in a line with social distancing, two to three feet seems to be mistaken for six.

 

Maybe she thought I looked like I was dangerous!  A huge risk!  But they did have stickers stuck to the floor every six feet to make sure we could count 6 feet apart.

  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

@Horizon chaser 1957 oh my gosh, those silk prints are gor-geous ! ! !   They are going to become a beautiful top for you!

 

@JazzyV I'm happy to read that your eye is improving - take it slow and let it heal properly.

 

@StLouisCruisers sorry you weren't able to get to the origin of your cough; a friend of ours has had one (and a very bad one at that) for a number of years that still remains a mystery to her medical team.  Hopefully yours will have a simple solution.

 

@atexsix before we had our Ragdoll, we had someone come into the house twice a day to dish out the wet food and clean the litter box.  Now with our Sochi, we have a house/pet sitter come to live in for the duration of our absence.  

 

Smooth Sailing!  

Gerry

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

 

Maybe she thought I looked like I was dangerous!  A huge risk!  But they did have stickers stuck to the floor every six feet to make sure we could count 6 feet apart.

At least she wasn't sighing every 20 seconds which is what Dear Dad once had in the Lido Buffett line, the woman behind him was getting very impatient because the person ahead of Dear Dad couldn't make up their mind on the serving size.  

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good afternoon, Dailyites.  I enjoyed relaxing and looking through today's posts.  The scallops look delicious, and the tropical photos are a dream.  It's been a stressful day, so nice to come here to settle down.  I had the rattling experience of having to jump fully-clothed into the deep end to retrieve my 2 1/2-year-old DGD.  She's been taking swimming lessons and hurtled herself in, as she's convinced she can swim now.  I was closest, so jumped in after her.  Same DGD who broke her arm earlier in the summer, fearlessly attacking the monkey bars.  She is a dynamo.

Anyhow, gotta admit it shook me up.

 

I hope everyone has a pleasant afternoon/evening, and that positive progress is made on all health fronts.  @grapau27, my DH actually had a habit of clearing his throat and then ditched the habit easily when I called his attention to it.  Funny what creatures of habit we all are.

 

Many prayers for the hurting, and a toast to those celebrating.  😊  🌻

 

 

 

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

People with indoor cats, how often do you have sitters check in on them while cruising?  In the past I went with twice for a 7 day sailing, because the auto-feeders took care of the rest.  Most of the time they hide and sitters have reported never seeing them anyway.  

 

Just curious.

I have a great friend who moves in. My cat requires human contact. 

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, my Oncologist visits are usually pretty much routine but not so much today.  My PSA has been creeping up a bit for years, and seemed a bit quicker recently, not dramatically but noticeable.  Since "I'm not going anywhere" he called for a couple of additional tests, a PET scan and a genetic test.  The scan is yet to be scheduled while I had to do some preliminary things for the genetic test.  I ended up with 4 jabs, elbow for the routine blood work, arm for bone density, rump for hormones to hold the cancer at bay, and the other elbow for blood for the genetic test.  I also was held up for a video counseling call for the genetic test.

 

Roy

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites.  I enjoyed relaxing and looking through today's posts.  The scallops look delicious, and the tropical photos are a dream.  It's been a stressful day, so nice to come here to settle down.  I had the rattling experience of having to jump fully-clothed into the deep end to retrieve my 2 1/2-year-old DGD.  She's been taking swimming lessons and hurtled herself in, as she's convinced she can swim now.  I was closest, so jumped in after her.  Same DGD who broke her arm earlier in the summer, fearlessly attacking the monkey bars.  She is a dynamo.

Anyhow, gotta admit it shook me up.

 

I hope everyone has a pleasant afternoon/evening, and that positive progress is made on all health fronts.  @grapau27, my DH actually had a habit of clearing his throat and then ditched the habit easily when I called his attention to it.  Funny what creatures of habit we all are.

 

Many prayers for the hurting, and a toast to those celebrating.  😊  🌻

 

 

 

Oh my!  So glad you were there!  I still remain rattled from an experience when our DGD was around 5 and could swim but got tired!  Scared  us half to death and her which I think was a good thing,  but can be so dangerous!   These fearless little ones scare me half to death! 
 

glad all is well!  

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, my Oncologist visits are usually pretty much routine but not so much today.  My PSA has been creeping up a bit for years, and seemed a bit quicker recently, not dramatically but noticeable.  Since "I'm not going anywhere" he called for a couple of additional tests, a PET scan and a genetic test.  The scan is yet to be scheduled while I had to do some preliminary things for the genetic test.  I ended up with 4 jabs, elbow for the routine blood work, arm for bone density, rump for hormones to hold the cancer at bay, and the other elbow for blood for the genetic test.  I also was held up for a video counseling call for the genetic test.

 

Roy

 

I'm so sorry to hear this, Roy.  The physical challenges of being poked and prodded and sent here and there are one thing, but the mental part of it is just as tough.

Prayers are coming your way that nothing insurmountable is taking place and that you have the strength to deal with it all. 

Maxine

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites.  I enjoyed relaxing and looking through today's posts.  The scallops look delicious, and the tropical photos are a dream.  It's been a stressful day, so nice to come here to settle down.  I had the rattling experience of having to jump fully-clothed into the deep end to retrieve my 2 1/2-year-old DGD.  She's been taking swimming lessons and hurtled herself in, as she's convinced she can swim now.  I was closest, so jumped in after her.  Same DGD who broke her arm earlier in the summer, fearlessly attacking the monkey bars.  She is a dynamo.

Anyhow, gotta admit it shook me up.

 

I hope everyone has a pleasant afternoon/evening, and that positive progress is made on all health fronts.  @grapau27, my DH actually had a habit of clearing his throat and then ditched the habit easily when I called his attention to it.  Funny what creatures of habit we all are.

 

Many prayers for the hurting, and a toast to those celebrating.  😊  🌻

 

 

 

Praise be you were there!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Wednesday!  I’m late today. Today was DM’s appointment with the oncologist. Great news too, she does not require surgery and depending upon an upcoming PET scan will probably only need radiation. Afterward we went to Red Lobster, she had her favorite coconut shrimp and I had trout but mine was over salted for my taste. We had a glass of Matua Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough which was delightful. Wasn’t that a wine of the day recently?

 

 Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes to Craig. Our Daily family is the best!  I’ll forward them on to him. He went into the office today (he works from home) and texted me that he got a $70 gift card to his favorite local bookstore. He will be a happy camper with that many books. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich. I’m with you on the too many disappointments. At first I wanted to rush in and book the first cruise for July 24th but decided I’d better hold off and book something that Craig and I would both enjoy since we had just been to Alaska on our last cruise. 
 

Thank you for your lists Roy. Hopefully your appointments went well today. @JazzyV, such great news about your eye today. Prayers to everyone on the Care list. 
 

Have a great day everyone!

 

Sharon wonderful news about your Mom!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, my Oncologist visits are usually pretty much routine but not so much today.  My PSA has been creeping up a bit for years, and seemed a bit quicker recently, not dramatically but noticeable.  Since "I'm not going anywhere" he called for a couple of additional tests, a PET scan and a genetic test.  The scan is yet to be scheduled while I had to do some preliminary things for the genetic test.  I ended up with 4 jabs, elbow for the routine blood work, arm for bone density, rump for hormones to hold the cancer at bay, and the other elbow for blood for the genetic test.  I also was held up for a video counseling call for the genetic test.

 

Roy


Geesh Roy! Prayers winging their way!

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...